Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Would love to hear from others whose BMI is less than 40 or who started at BMI of 35 or less.

Unlike many, I have not been morbidly obese for my entire life. Yes, I know I'm lucky. After successful treatment for 2 cancers - both still in remission after 8 and 9 years, then an appendectomy in 2012, found my weight constantly moving upward from 141 (BMI 25) to 200 (BMI 35). The last 18 months my weight zoomed from 184 to 200 while I was working on medical weight loss with my doctors.

I have high cholesterol and GERDS so when I hit 35 BMI my doctor suggested RNY. The surgery was August 2 2017, so just a week out. My stretch goal is 130; my stable, long term goal is 140. I was at 189 after my pre op diet so I only have 59 lbs to lose. That sounds like so little compared to the legions of others who have a much larger hurdle to jump. I'm 67. If this were 10 years ago I'd have waited on the surgery and tried other things (not sure what though), but I do not want to be a fat, sick old lady. Delaying surgery wasn't an option for me.

Would love to hear from others in similar situations.

Two weeks out from surgery and I couldn't be happier. Drinking is easy now but today is first day for solid Protein so we'll see how it goes as far as liquids go. Goal is 80 oz liquid, 65 protein!

• HW 200
  • SW 193
  • CW 180!!
  • Goal 130/140 (My goal is 130; Dr. goal is 140
  • 5'3"
  • Age = 67

If I had any advice it would be to take pain pills when needed. I think taking them lowers the stress this puts on our bodies, but then, I am an engineer/banker so follow your Dr's advice, not mine!

I had a low BMI prior to Gastric Bypass along with some comorbidities. I lost a bit of weight before WLS so didn't have too much to lose. The great news is 3 months after surgery I went off PPIs and my GERD was resolved, as well as other health issues.

Edited by MarinaGirl

On 8/9/2017 at 0:04 PM, katemac127 said:

Yes, I know I'm lucky. After successful treatment for 2 cancers...

:blink:

you and me got different definitions of "lucky"...

I was so glad to read your post. I’m 66 and hope to have my surgery before my next birthday in February. My weight is 221 right now but has been as high as 235. I’m 9 years out from breast cancer. Yes, I know “ lucky” too. I also don’t want to be a sick old lady and I want to be able to go for hikes on the woods with my grandchildren. After several diets that resulted in the return of the weight I’ve realized I have no options left if I want quality of life as I continue to age. The RNY is a lot of lifetime work, but at least it’s a tool that works. Diets don’t, and they’re a lot of work too.
So, keep posting about your progress. I feel like there’s someone on the path ahead of me that I can follow.

My BMI was 31.88, hw 182, sw 180, cw 164. Long story, started with band, lost 80, band slipped, had removed, went with sleeve, didn’t work, no weight loss, but Gerd real bad! So had bypass for the Gerd, on 9/25....so far so good! By the way I’ll be 69 in December!

My BMI was 38.5 and my HW was 238. We did the surgery to try and help my gastroparesis. I’m an odd case, and my surgeon and gastroenterologist decided to give it a try because my gastroparesis symptoms were so bad. I also have Crohn’s, scleroderma, Hashimoto’s, fibromyalgia, and a bunch of other autoimmune issues.

Surgery was 8/9/17 and finally today I hit Onederland (39lbs total lost so far). Weight loss has been slower than most people because we’ve been focusing on reducing gastroparesis symptoms.

I have to continually remind myself not to compare my weight loss to anyone else’s. My husband had the surgery a while back and lost over 150 lbs- the weight just melted off effortlessly. For me, each lb has been a struggle.

I also have to remind myself that I did this to help my horrible gastroparesis, and the weight loss is a nice side effect. Overall, my stomach pain has been reduced, and my stomach emptying is pretty good. But I’ve still got terrible nausea, almost 24/7. Surgeon says to be patient, which is hard!

I'm 53 and am 6+ years out from breast cancer. I'm right at 40BMI at my present weight (232lbs). The doc says I will drop down closer to 35BMI as surgery and the liquid diet become reality. What we're not told is that the treatment (chemo and the prednisone that goes with it) can make us gain 20lbs. Then the hormone therapy which many of us can take for 10 years, blocks either hormone receptors or conversion of androgens to estrogen/progesterone and that means we may/usually gain another 20-40lbs. Oy!

But, we truly are the lucky ones as survivors! So many of my friends are now gone (who were treated at the same time as me). Looking forward to joining you on the losers' bench!

Down to 157 after a looooong stall and am still happy with the process. Having rotator cuff and bicep tendon repair in a few days and am anxious to see how I manage to maintain weight loss through the long recovery.

Fingers crossed!