Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Schedule for Gastric Sleeve but dr changed to Gastric Bypass

So today I was informed I won't be able to do sleeve due to Gerd and hernia on my chest .... so my doctor told me I have to do the Bypass... I'm very scared and confused anyone else went through this please share... my hw was 392 current weight is 332 goal weight 180... I trust my doctor but I'm just all types of confused and anxious

I wanted to sleeve but couldn't have it because of my acid reflux. I did the bypass and now I don't need to take anything for heartburn at all :-)

Generally, the sleeve will only make severe acid reflux (GERD) worse. That is why you doctor is recommending gastric bypass. Some individuals have the sleeve but after awhile have to have a second surgery to gastric bypass because of severe acid reflux.

I had severe acid reflux prior to surgery. My doctor recommended gastric bypass. I am 4 years post-op and have not been bothered by severe acid reflux since my operation.

On 8/7/2017 at 6:28 PM, shalove said:

So today I was informed I won't be able to do sleeve due to Gerd and hernia on my chest emoji24.pngemoji24.pngemoji24.png.... so my doctor told me I have to do the Bypass... I'm very scared and confused anyone else went through this please share... my hw was 392 current weight is 332 goal weight 180... I trust my doctor but I'm just all types of confused and anxious emoji30.png

what's the problem? you're going to lose more weight and have no more issues with GERD the rest of your life.

sounds like a win-win to me. be happy!

I know that must have come as a shock! sleep on it, and do some reading up on the bypass starting tomorrow. There are some differences, but the initial healing period is the same.

[Hugs], everything will work out, you'll see!

I had the very same thing happened and I was about to say forget it! A week after my scope the nurse from the office called and said " just wanted to let you know your biopsy was positive for Barrets". Just like that! I was a little upset and she told me you'll just have to have a bypass.... that wasn't the plan! I didn't even know I had GERD!
Anyways... that was last Oct and I had my bypass 5 wks ago. It took a while to get used to the idea, but I am very happy with my decision!
I know exactly how you feel, I was angry and anxious.... it was the best solution to prevent a lifetime of illness.... Good luck to you!

I had the sleeve in 2011 .Due to severe gerd,I had revision to bypass done Nov 2016.I wish I would of had that done first.I feel great and no issues.

It is an adjustment for sure! But do a search on revisions + GERD and you'll see hundreds of stories of people who had the sleeve then had to have a second surgery to solve the reflux problem. Your surgeon is trying to save you from disappointment and pain (literally.) I wish could have the sleeve, but I can't. It took a few weeks to adjust my mindset, but now I'm ready to go again! You will be too.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app