Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is it dumping? TMI...Sorry

First foray into unplanned eating since my surgery in February 2017. Took a last minute trip, 150 miles, to a funeral for a friend. Did not plan any meals or Snacks. After the funeral we gathered at my friend's house for dinner. It was Popeye's chicken with all the sides and some homemade red Beans and rice. I had some red beans and one chicken wing. This is also my first time eating something fried.

Within about 20 minutes I felt sick to my stomach and the nausea was overwhelming. I went to throw up in the bathroom but just had a watery mouth and spit a lot. I got a horrible headache and felt like I needed to lie down and sleep. I excused myself by saying I needed to start my long drive home and stopped in the costco parking lot, took a tylenol, and took a 45 minute nap. When I woke up I felt fine, shopped and drove home.

What the heck was that? Does anyone else feel that sucky when they eat fried food? Never again!!!!! This has happened once before when I had a yellow chicken curry dish. I know it's not "chicken" because I eat it all the time.

Well, if it isn't dumping (which sounds like it could be) it could also just be your body's way of saying it doesn't recognize high fatty foods anymore and doesn't want it. I've noticed preop on one of my "diets" when I would eat very well for a few weeks then have something unhealthy, I would feel very very sick. My husband just experienced that the other day, we've been eating plant based for almost a month now, he decided to get a Mexican plate at a restaurant and said never again. He felt ill for the rest of the day and ended up sleeping too.

It sounds like dumping to me. However, it is also your body rejecting the food. I have tried fried chicken once and I stress on the once. It does not sit in my sleeve well neither. I had the same symptoms as you with the foamy feeling in my throat and a severe cramping pain. It literally put me to sleep and when I woke up everything was fine. I believe that it is the type of oil (being that I can eat olive oil and coconut without a problem).

That is definitely dumping. Just your body giving you a gentle reminder to watch what you eat. :)

There are different degree's of dumping. I would say that was your bodys way of saying what you are did not agree with your sleeve... Perhaps also the gas from the Beans? I know I have had situations like that where I just had a lot of siliva coming from my mouth. Almost like you're going to vomit, but never actually do vomit...it goes away pretty fast. The stomach ache, head ache, need to lie down feeling is definitely the dumping portion of that. I usually need to try and relax as much as possible and lay down as well till it passes... usually takes 20-45 minutes. I hope you're okay, good luck with that in the future.

8 hours ago, alirocks713 said:

There are different degree's of dumping. I would say that was your bodys way of saying what you are did not agree with your sleeve... Perhaps also the gas from the Beans? I know I have had situations like that where I just had a lot of siliva coming from my mouth. Almost like you're going to vomit, but never actually do vomit...it goes away pretty fast. The stomach ache, head ache, need to lie down feeling is definitely the dumping portion of that. I usually need to try and relax as much as possible and lay down as well till it passes... usually takes 20-45 minutes. I hope you're okay, good luck with that in the future.

Thesaliva thing happens to me if i eat one tea spoon to much its so gross.