Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alcohol after Sleeve

Yes of course I know there won't be binge drinking, but what about social drinking? Thus may sound silly but my husband and I are on a bowling league and a softball team and in both cases we usually hang out and have a beer or 2....will I be able to do that? I mean if my stomach can only hold 4-6 oz I'm thinking I won't be able to? Just trying to get mentally ready!!

I can not respond as an experienced person. Only from what I have learned from friends and other forum members. A few things:

1) Say goodbye to beer (carbonation)

2) You can drink after you heal, but expect to sip spirits watered down (non carbonated drinks, water/crystal light).

3) You should sip on this one drink as you will not be able to drink like you used to. You will get drunk MUCH quicker than before.

I'm a martini girl and will have one about once a month, that was ok'd by my Dr. Like the gentleman said above, carbonation, do your best to stay away from. My Dr. says, don't deprive yourself, but understand your limits and restrictions. If you lack the discipline, don't do it at all. And what he said, is so true. I can't finish a martini unless I'm at home, I get tipsy so quickly.

12 minutes ago, NolzGirl said:

Yes of course I know there won't be binge drinking, but what about social drinking? Thus may sound silly but my husband and I are on a bowling league and a softball team and in both cases we usually hang out and have a beer or 2....will I be able to do that? I mean if my stomach can only hold 4-6 oz I'm thinking I won't be able to? Just trying to get mentally ready!!

Goodness, I'm almost two years out and still can not hold 4-6 oz at one time, be careful. With having the surgery, some things you truly have to say goodbye to and mostly, drinking the way you did, is one of them.

Hi,

I was sleeved June 8th 2016, have lost 140lbs, so far I can drink sliver rum and do okay whereas sparkling wine, wine have a harder time the sugar dumps into system to quickly. Anyway no one anywhere endorses drinking alcohol post surgery but just be smart and for me I waited until I hit major goals to partake. I am on a bocce team plus work in the wine industry so its hard to not be tempted. Now I weigh exactly 140lbs lost 1/2 of my body weight, now maintaining. Again, be smart they do not want us to hurt our new pouches and to get alcohol poisoning or have transfer of addictions. Good luck

No carbonated drinks ever. That includes sparkling wine.
I'm six months out. My surgeon gave me clearance to drink alcohol after 2 months. I drink at least once a week. Wine is my choice. Do remember that you will handle alcohol differently after surgery.

This is mostly out of curiosity. But i know you're much more likely to get drunk quicker with alcohol after bariatric surgery but what about vomiting from alcohol? Do you puke your brains out like a person normally would from excess alcohol consumption? Or does that not happen since you're consuming a much smaller quantity of alcohol. Like I have no idea if you could end up puking excessively from 6 oz of alcohol even with impaired digestion

Everyone's body and how they react to this is different. For the first 6 months following surgery I rarely had anything to drink and when I did it was a small amount of wine. I'm 2 years out and still limit my consumption. Usually the only times that I drink are when I'm out with friends. I try to drink slowly as it can hit me hard and fast otherwise. I have found that I can have some beer, but it's usually flat. Overly carbonated and I don't get along. The only times that I have beer is following the completion of a 5k or 10k race where it's waiting at the finish line. But as I said, I'll have maybe 1/8-1/4 of the cup and throw the rest away. It's a treat. Wine I'm good with, and occasionally can do sparkling, but again it's not often and I only pour a small amount and don;t always finish what someone else pours.

The point is that you need to keep in mind the following:

1. Limit your consumption. Don't drink daily and don't drink excessively.
  2. Watch how much and how fast you drink because your body will act differently than before surgery.
  3. Give your stomach time to heal, and follow the doctors guidelines on how long to wait until you have your first sip.
  4. Different beverages will affect your stomach differently. So don't push yourself to drink something that doesn't agree with you.

Thank you all so much! I'm not looking to start drinking as soon as I have my surgery or anything at all like that. I just wanted to be sure that there would be options later if I so wanted to. This whole surgery is so scary and seems like a finality and there's certain things that I definitely want out of my life but I've never had a problem with over drinking so alcohol is not one of them. I'm glad to hear that if I want it I can have it still in small doses.