Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Revision from sleeve to Rny bc of gerd

I'm having the RNY on Sept. 25th..... originally, I was having the Sleeve, but after learning that GERD is a common side affect from it, I changed it to the RNY. I couldn't deal with acid reflex at all.

Sending positive thoughts your way! >>>>>>>>> <hugs> ............ Deeme

Yes! Same for me. I have severe GERD and vomiting and will be revising from sleeve to bypass on September 25th. I am nervous about the pain this time around!

Me too...same date also, started all liquid yesterday, not sure what to drink though!!!

I'm revised from sleeve to bypass on August 23 due to GERD, fatty liver disease, weight regain, didn't lose enough with the sleeve. Excited and nervous all in one.

How are you doing? How is it working for you??

Getting revision done from sleeve to bypass on August 21 anybody who has done the same by the way is because of gerd

How are you doing?

Omg im also so nervous my surgery is almost here ..this monday coming up 21.. That gas pain is the worst

How are you doing?!?!?

I just had the bypass on 9.1.17 because of extreme GERD. I had a sleeve in 2009. I developed horrible acid reflux. It is a long story but since I had my bypass I have been able to sleep all night every night in my bed, not a recliner!

3 minutes ago, suzieM said:

I just had the bypass on 9.1.17 because of extreme GERD. I had a sleeve in 2009. I developed horrible acid reflux. It is a long story but since I had my bypass I have been able to sleep all night every night in my bed, not a recliner!

We had surgery on the same day for the same reason! It's such a relief not having the GERD! Did you struggle with regain after the sleeve, or were you at goal weight for your revision? I was at goal and I got so many comments from nurses, etc. on my size at surgery time! Such a weird experience.

I had a sleeve in 2009. I was part of a 5 year study to make the sleeve mainstream. I started at 307 got down to 187. I never reached my goal. I developed acid reflux almost immediately. The surgeon kept saying I ate too much. I know I wasn't eating too much at the time. I got so frustrated with his responses (not to mention his impossible office hours and average waiting time of over 3 hours for s check up appointment) I finally asked my primary care physician to take over my case. He started me on Protonix and eventually Reglsn. I gave up chocolate, lemonade, most citrus, most spicy food. I never ate after 7pm and still struggled with the acid reflux. We built our house over 25 years ago and at the time all the rage was these big round 'garden' tubs in the master suites. The reason I mention this is because I currently have a La-Z-Boy in my bathtub so I can still sleep in my own room. I would often sleep most of the night in my tub-chair. My PCP advised me that I had to go off the Reglan because it was causing 'twitchiness' in my face. I went back to the original surgeon. By now I had gained back about 40 pounds. All he did was bully me, shame me and yell at me because I hadn't lost more weight. He said I was too fat to have my acid reflux fixed. He said I could get a bunch of tests and maybe he will try. I cried all the way home. I called my pCP the next day and said I was done with that arrogant a$$! He set out to find me a new surgeon and found a delightful woman whom I absolutely adore! She is kind, thoughtful and caring. The first thing she did was order s scope and lo and behold I had the largest hiatal hernia she had ever seen! So now that is fixed, I have a gastric bypass, a ton of scar tissue removed and my gall bladder out. I call it the platinum trifecta! I'm sorry my story is so long! How are you doing? Is your GERD fixed?

We had surgery on the same day for the same reason! It's such a relief not having the GERD! Did you struggle with regain after the sleeve, or were you at goal weight for your revision? I was at goal and I got so many comments from nurses, etc. on my size at surgery time! Such a weird experience.

I had sleeve in April, 2016... & removed lap and, never lost any weight just got Gurd, acid reflux real bad! Having bypass on Monday the 25th...

21 hours ago, dturner153 said:

I had sleeve in April, 2016... & removed lap and, never lost any weight just got Gurd, acid reflux real bad! Having bypass on Monday the 25th...

Good luck for tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

I'm supposed to be having a sleeve but I already get GERD and now I'm worried it will get worse and I should be having bypass.

I started having non-cardiac chest pains less than 14 months after sleeve surgery. (surgery was June 2010) I was told I was having some sort of spasms. Medication prescribed did nothing. Fast forward to 2015, I'd gradually worked myself up to 8 - 10 Tums EVERY day. I had them in the console of the truck, next to my bed so I could turn over and get a couple in the middle of the night, almost every single night, I had another bottle in the medicine cabinet. I had NO idea it was bad to take that many. I finally went to the doctor after reading this is not good. He did a endoscopy and I have a hiatal hernia, I had a stricture and an ulcer. He put me on a prescription PPI. That was Nov 2019. It worked immediately, but only lasted about 2 months and I started needing Tums again occasionally. Now I'm eating them more often. I've had the bloating for years and occasionally have trouble swallowing. I made an appointment with a bariatric surgeon, clearly this other doctor isn't too familiar with bariatric surgery. I am hoping this new doctor will be able to help me. I've vomited every so often in the prior years, but in the past two or three weeks I've thrown up 4 times. Always in the evening after dinner. Any idea why this would start now?

I had sleeve the RNY revision October 2020 due to severe GERD, Gastritis and Esophagitis. Insurance covered it after I completed the diagnostic test: barium swallow test, esophagus motility test and endoscopy with BRAVO. After submitting the results (all the testing was done in a couple weeks), I received approval from Aetna within 2 weeks. Even though I had gained back some of the weight lost from the sleeve, I was overweight but not obese, so my weight had no bearing on insurance approval. My 1st surgeon visit was in mid August and my surgery was October 29th.

On 6/13/2021 at 9:45 PM, lee17maj8 said:

Me, too I will have my revision from sleeve to DS surgery on 7/6/21 due to gerd/heartburn issues. 👎🏾😫🤦🏾‍♀️

Good luck, it won't be long now!! My appointment is tomorrow. I don't know why I'm nervous, but I am!