Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

A couple of weeks ago, I went in for my regular check up with my Bariatric team. I was banded in 2013 and though initially I lost about 40 pounds, I never really saw the weight loss that many others I know have. I had issues on and off with my health, including a bout of what was diagnosed as pancreatitis last summer. It was a very stressful time in my life, my father was terminally ill and nearing the end of his journey. As a main care giver stress was very high. I was sick nearly every day with everything I ate. My band was emptied since I was having these issues and at one point so swollen I could not swallow my own saliva.

I had an upper GI and all was well, no damage and no "real" reason for these issues. My father expired in July of last year, and the intensity of the on the go stress diminished though my stress itself is an ever present thing. As a mother of 5 boys one special needs, caring for my in laws one with dementia and Parkinsons, one who is now critically ill as well in and of hostpials and rehabs, along with their 40 year old highly functioning special needs adult working a full time job helping my son over come his drug addiction relapse and get back on his feet while trying to get our youngest (22) on his feet, not to mention our disabled 24 year old who just stays in his room all day playing video games and watching TV.

So yeah..back to me.

I had some Fluid slowly put back into the band to see if I could get back on track and start losing some weight as my weight was going up, and I was not feeling well. Suffering from a badly twisted pulled and stress fractured ankle and foot this winter. (That slowed me down but didn't stop me!)

I reached a point where I was doing well I though! I was actually losing some weight. I was still totally exhausted and not really able to eat everything but that was OK right? to be expected?

Then came the acid reflux. It was mild enough for a pepsid to handle and I didn't want to think much of it. I guess my issue is that I am so busy doing and going that often I am hurting and I disregard it and put it in the back of my mind. If it doesn't cripple me or bring me to my knees I just keep plugging away.

So the PA said I think we need a barium swallow. Hey I lost weight this month! I think NOT! I don't have time for this...radiology...and registration...nope I need to get back to work! Well she won in the end and they took me right away..and yep the band slipped and I had a huge prolapse. (FML)

So what now...? I don't have symptoms or do I? OK so now that I know there is something wrong..now everything is wrong and every wince is from the band. Now I feel nauseous all the time, I'm weak I'm tired I have to throw up. In reality I probably was like this for months and just ignored it because there was just too much to do....

Now next week they are taking out the band. I am scheduled for surgery on August 9th. If I want to revise (they are suggesting the sleeve) I have to wait 3 months and re-do all the same testing and hoop jumping that I did back when I was banded in 2013. I'm not sure how I feel about a revision...I seem to fall in that "failure" percentage rate. You know birth control is 98% effective and 2% get pregnant..yeah his name is Christopher.

Most people I speak to say they would revise, and yes my Dr. tells me I need to lose the weight. I have heart issues and breathing issues (no smoking for me ever) and sure another tool is great...but right now...

I'm wondering what can I expect from the band removal surgery?

Have you had your band removed? If so...what was your experience?

Where you sick before the surgery? Keeping mostly liquids etc down? Good days/bad days?

Were you in major pain in the port area after surgery to remove the band? I hear that people feel more pain in the muscle there...

Did you feel less "sick" after surgery no more nausea? Were you able to eat "normally" again or were you still eating mushy liquids for a while?

Did you chose to have a revision surgery? If so...what and why?

I'd love to have a dynamic discussion about it, and of course as I travel through this experience I'll keep you updated with my progress.

I had my lap band removed on May 18th of this year. I didn't have any restrictions after surgery concerning eating. My doctor told me that my stomach will be swollen for about six months or so, and because of the large amount of scar tissue I had he can't due revision surgery I hope I helped you a little bit. Goid luck . The hardest part for me was the no lifting for 4 weeks after. Take care.

I had my lap band removed on July 25th I got to the point all I did was throw up everything that went down so I just had my follow-up today which is August 3rd I believe and it went really good I can eat anything I want I just restrict myself to small amounts everything goes in a bowl don't ever eat out of a container I feel a lot better I have some pain in my site where it was removed but other than that it's pretty good I look like a fat turtle that got stuck on his back trying to get out of bed I did not have the sleeve done at the time because I was scared I have a lot of stress going on and I gained all my weight back but since I've had it removed because I can eat a normal amount I've still lost 14 lb so I wish you luck and you will be okay getting it removed with the best thing I did and I was scared really scared I even called in the chaplain before my surgery but it went really well

nv_mom_27 I feel your pain with the throwing up bit. I have been having that issue for quite some time and the only things that really sit well are the BAD things. Ice cream has become my nemesis this summer.

I'm not afraid of the surgery, I'm actually looking forward to it. Thinking of it as a surgical vacation of sorts as bad as that sounds! I really need a brake from all the "drama" around me and some time to recoup my health. I just feel so weak and tired all the time. I'm sure it's from not getting enough nutrients in as well as being overweight.

It is my sincere hope that once this band is out that I feel better and can get that needed nutrition in to feel better and recover. Once it's done, I'm going to focus on the next step which will probably be a conversion to the sleeve which will take me a few more months to get all the medical information in order, and trying not to gain any weight back. I hear they will not approve it if weight is gained...

Though I am not looking forward to yet another surgery...everyone including my primary care doctor is advocating the revision to help to lose the excess weight.

I just want to feel better.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Prdgrdma

So I guess after gastric bypass surgery, I cant eat flock chips because they are fried???  They sell them on here so I thought I could have them. So high in protein and no carbs.  They don't bother me at all.  Help. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

It's possible for a very high fat meal to cause dumping in some (30% or so) gastric bypass patients, although it's more likely to be triggered by high sugar, or by the high fat/high sugar combo (think ice cream, donuts). Dietitians will tell you to never do anything that isn't 100% healthy ever again. Realistically, you should aim for a good balance of protein, carbs, and fat each day. Should you eat fried foods every day? No. Is it possible they will make you sick? Maybe. Is it okay to eat some to see what happens and have them for a treat every now and again? Yes.

• NovelTee

I'm not at all hungry on this liquid pre-op diet, but I miss the sensation of chewing. It's been about two weeks––surgery is in two days––and I can't imagine how I'll feel a couple of weeks post-op. Tonight, I randomly stumbled upon a mukbang channel on YouTube, and it was strangely soothing... is it just me, or is this a thing? 
      · 1 reply
      1. NickelChip

I actually watched cooking shows during my pre-op, like Great British Baking Show. It was a little bizarre, but didn't make me hungry. I think it was also soothing in a way.

• Clueless_girl

How do you figure out what your ideal weight should be? I've had a figure in my head for years, but after 3 mths of recovery I'm already almost there. So maybe my goal should be lower?
      · 3 replies
      1. NickelChip

Well, there is actually a formula for "Ideal Body Weight" and you can use a calculator to figure it out for you. This one also does an adjusted weight for a person who starts out overweight or obese. https://www.mdcalc.com/calc/68/ideal-body-weight-adjusted-body-weight

I would use that as a starting point, and then just see how you feel as you lose. How you look and feel is more important than a number.

2. Clueless_girl

I did find different calculators but I couldn't find any that accounted for body frame. But you're right, it is just a number. It was just disheartening to see that although I lost 60% of my excess weight, it's still not in the "normal/healthy" range..

3. NickelChip

I think it's important to remember that the weight charts and BMI ranges were developed a very long time ago and only intended to be applied to people who have never been overweight or obese. Those numbers aren't for us. When you are larger, especially for a long time, your body develops extra bone to support the weight. Your organs get a little bigger to handle the extra mass. Your entire infrastructure increases so you can support and function with the extra weight. That doesn't all go away just because you burn off the excess fat. If you still had a pair of jeans from your skinniest point in life and then lost weight to get to the exact number on the scale you were when those jeans fit you, chances are they would be a little baggy now because you would actually be thinner than you were, even though the scale and the BMI chart disagree. When in doubt, listen to the jeans, not the scale!

• Aunty Mamo

Tomorrow marks two weeks since surgery day and while I'm feeling remarkably well and going about just about every normal activity, I did wind up with a surface abscess on on of my incision sights and was put on an antibiotic that made me so impacted that it took me more than two hours to eliminate yesterday and scared the hell out of me. Now there's Miralax in all my beverages that aren't Smooth Move tea. I cannot experience that again. I shouldn't have to take Ativan to go to the lady's. I really looking forward to my body getting with the program again. 
      I'm in day three of the "puree" stage of eating and despite the strange textures, all of the savory flavors seem decadent. 
      I timed this surgery so that I'd be recovering during my spring break. That was a good plan. Today is a state holiday and the final day of break. I feel really strong to return to school tomorrow. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • BeanitoDiego

Now that I'm in maintenance mode, I'm getting a into a routine for my meals. Every day, I start out with 8-16 ounces of water, and then a proffee, which I have come to look forward to even the night before. My proffees are simply a black coffee with a protein powder added. There are three products that I cycle through: Premier Vanilla, Orgain Vanilla, and Dymatize Vanilla.
      For second breakfast on workdays, I will have a low-fat yogurt with two tablespoons of PBFit and two teaspoons of no sugar added dried cherries. I will have ingested 35-45 grams of protein at this point between the two breakfasts, with 250-285 calories, and about 20 carbs.
      For second breakfast on non-workdays, I will prepare two servings of plain, instant oatmeal with a tablespoon of an olive oil-based spread. This means I will have had 34 grams of protein, 365 calories, and 38 carbs. Non-workdays are when I am being very active with training sessions, so I allow myself more carbohydrate fuel.
      Snacks on any day are always mixed nuts, even when I am travelling. I will have 0.2 cups of a blend that I make myself. It consists of dry roasted peanuts, cashews, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, pistachios, and Brazil nuts. This is 5 grams of protein, 163 calories, and 7 carbs.
      Breakfast and snacks have been the easiest to nail down. Lunch and dinner have more variables, and I prepare enough for leftovers. I concentrate on protein first, and then add vegetables. Typically tempeh, tofu, or Field Roast products with roasted or sautéed vegetables. Today, I will be eating leftovers from last night. Two ounces of tempeh with four ounces of roasted vegetables that consist of red and yellow sweet peppers, sweet potatoes, small purple potatoes, zucchini, and carrots. I will add a tablespoon of olive oil-based spread, break up 3 walnuts to sprinkle of top, and garnish with two tablespoons of grated Parmesan cheese. This particular meal will be 19 grams of protein, 377 calories, and 28 grams of carbs. Bear in mind that I do eat more carbs when I am not working, and I focus on ingesting healthy carbs instead of breads/crackers/chips/crisps.
      It's a helluva journey and I'm thankful to be on it!

· 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches