Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein intake question

Hello all,

I was just wondering... How long after surgery were you able to meet your Protein requirements?

I am now two months post op and allowed to eat anything but I know, even without restrictions, my protein intake is nowhere near where it needs to be. I know the importance of it, and I think I may be getting 40-50g in a good day but I am still not able to eat much (maybe 1/2cup of food per meal, maybe 3/4 if it's something light like a salad)... So, how long did it take you to be able to eat all your protein from food only without having to supplement?

I cannot stomach Protein Shakes anymore. The smell alone makes me gag so that's out of the question and I am beginning to get concerned...

I've been hitting it most days. I'm 2 mos out also. Here's whay gets me to the number we need. Breakfast: Protein Bar 20 gm of Protein. Morning snack: string cheese. Lunch: 2 oz chicken. Afternoon snack: Greek yogurt. Dinner: 2 oz chicken. Yes , I know I'm not getting any veggies yet but I can't meet every goal.... if I eat some veggies I can't get enough of the meat in so I have veggies some days not always. I think as time goes by we'll be able to fit more in.

It took me about 5-6 months to get all my Protein from food. Even though I hated the Protein Shakes, I made myself choke down a Premier Protein caramel in the morning for Breakfast while driving into work. I've found that the Premier Protein Clear juice is tolerable and it has 20gm protein. Also I make a "frosty" using Fairlife milk and Halo Top chocolate ice cream for a total of 18g of protein - great on a hot day.

Many experience problems drinking Protein Shakes. I hated them. But in the beginning I drank them, three 16-ounce Protein shakes a day, in order to meet my protein requirements. You do not have to like protein shakes only tolerate them. There are many varieties of protein shakes available today. Experiment until you can find one you can tolerate.

There are many different types of formulations on protein shakes. I would recommend that you keep experimenting until you find one that you can tolerate. You don't have to like it, just tolerate it. I used Muscle Milk Light (Vanilla Creme) powder blended with Water and a half a banana. That worked for me. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, you might try premixed Isopure.

If you tried all the various varieties and still are unsuccessfully, then there is the fallback of fortified milk. 32 ounces of 1% milk fortified by adding 1 cup of dried milk provides 56 grams of protein. It also takes a dent out of meeting the Fluid requirements. Mix up a pitcher and drink a little throughout the day.

Without sufficient protein, your body will scavenge protein from other areas of your body, such as your muscles. Protein is extremely important after surgery as its job in the body is to build and maintain tissues including your body's major organs and skeletal muscles. Protein deficiency, when continued over a long period of time can cause a disease known as protein caloric malnutrition. Common symptoms are poor healing, fatigue, Hair loss and muscle wasting. Immediate post op, protein promotes healing of the staple line and incisions.

Right after gastric bypass surgery, the volume of food you consume is minuscule (2 ounces) per meal. But as you get further along, the meal volume increases. Therefore you have a very important option available to you. If you focus on consuming high protein mealst, you can begin to reduce your reliance on protein shakes. I went from 3 a day, down to 2, down to 1 and eventually none when I reached 1 cup per meal at a year and a half post-op.

There are at least two forms of protein supplements: protein shakes and Protein Bars. Coordinate with you nutritionist to determine when you have a green light to transition to protein bars. It wasn't until the 3rd or 4th month that my nutritionist recommended them. Your stomach may still need a little extra time. A protein bar is probably too dense at the two month mark. I used Quest protein bars. These bars were good in that they had high protein, minimal sugar and also contained Fiber. Fiber comes in handy when you are dealing with Constipation issues. Quest bars came in a lot of different flavors.

Protein bars are good when you are on the go and can't drag along a blender in order to mix a Protein Shake.

A Quest protein bar contains 220 calories and provides 21 grams of protein. A Muscle Milk Light protein [2 scoops of powder in a 16 ounce glass] contains 210 calories and provides 25 grams of protein. So they are comparable.

I am 4 post of RNY, I can't tolerate the pre-made Protein Shakes or the super sweet powders. I help meet my requirements by:

*1 cup Low Fat Fairlife Milk (13 grams or Protein, 80 calories) + 2 scoops GENEPRO (pkg says 1 scoop = 30grams of protein, but I only count it as 15 and 58 calories). Thats 43 grams of protein in an 8 ounce cup of milk. I warm it up, and add a splash of sugar free vanilla or caramel Syrup, resembles a sugar free steamed milk from starbucks.

*2 scoops of Genepro unflavored Protein Powder in an 8 ounce glass of Decaf hot tea, my favorite is the celestial seasons, Blueberry and Mixed berry.

Note: If you go the warm route, you will need a small thermometer to make sure your water/milk is no more than 125 degrees or the powder will get a weird texture....anything less and it mixes in completely...mildest protein taste I have found so far.

Took me about 16 months till I stopped having daily Premier Protein shakes. I wasn't able to eat enough meat to ensure I was getting all my Protein requirements. I'm tall and work out most days and need a lot of protein and vitamins/minerals. I still have smoothie with protein powder 3 - 4 times a week for breakfast.

And since the surgery I don't like meat much I'm slowly turning to only eating fish and other protein sources - as chicken pork and beef all too heavy.

2 months... All I eat is shrimp and scallops. I'll eat other meat too like fish, chicken and turkey. Shrimp is the easiest for me to get down without any consequences. Everything else feels heavy in my pouch.

My diet has been strictly seafood and vegetables ever since I was allowed to eat solids again.

----------------------------

HW- 273
Pre-op Wt- 230
SW- 226
CW- 176
GW- 130
Ht- 5'2.5"
DOS- April 26th, 2017

"Only those who try will become." ~FFX

I couldn't get all my Protein from food for more than a year. I'm four years out and still do a protein bar or shake 2-3 days a week to meet my goal.

Hello all,
I was just wondering... How long after surgery were you able to meet your Protein requirements?
I am now two months post op and allowed to eat anything but I know, even without restrictions, my protein intake is nowhere near where it needs to be. I know the importance of it, and I think I may be getting 40-50g in a good day but I am still not able to eat much (maybe 1/2cup of food per meal, maybe 3/4 if it's something light like a salad)... So, how long did it take you to be able to eat all your protein from food only without having to supplement?
I cannot stomach Protein Shakes anymore. The smell alone makes me gag so that's out of the question and I am beginning to get concerned...

I can't do anything with aspartame, Splenda, artificial flavors. I've been using Isopure unflavored powder. It's amazing. I can put it in almost any hot or cold liquid. Zero taste, sometimes it does change the texture/viscosity a tiny bit. It goes perfectly in broth, Soup, smoothies, Vitamin Water, etc. Got a huge tub on Amazon.

Anyone tried this IMG_2267.JPG

I usually drink 3 Premier Protein clear a day that's 60g there and snack on low fat cottage cheese as a mid morning snack that's 12g. I keep a rotisserie chicken in the fridge and slice three ounces off at a time with steamed veggies for dinner. That gets me close to 80g a day. I'm 4 months out. I also became tired of Protein Shakes. I mix it up some times and snack on a hard boiled egg.