Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any January 2018 Sleevers?

I've been ghosting, this is my first post. I am scheduled for January 11, one week! I am very nervous, especially when I read stories of complications. Pre-op diet going good since the 26th, except for some champagne and bad Snacks at a party on NYE... But still already down 11lbs during pre-op. My diet right now is Protein Shakes for Breakfast and lunch and a small Protein forward dinner w/ veggies. Been having Oikos triple zero and sugar free Jello for snacks when I get home from work as well.
I am a bundle of worries and fears, these being the biggest ones:
- Complication from surgery
- Alcohol and carbonation restriction (I am [hopefully "was"] a daily drinker, diet cokes during the day and wine and beer at night)
- Regaining weight after losing a lot (I regained weight after being on Medi Weight Loss and losing 100 lbs 5 years ago)
- Returning to work quickly (I run a business and cannot afford not to be back)
- The diet ruining my active social life which revolves around friends and going out for drinks/food.
- People finding out about my surgery and thinking that is was the "easy way out". I have only told my SO and my BFF.

There are other smaller fears but it felt good to write those out!

Ahhh we are a lot alike! My surgery is the 24th, I’m hoping to go back to work (seated office) on Monday after surgery. I’m also a social wine and beer drinker and am planning for a big change in that habit!

I’m telling my boss that I’m having stomach surgery - only my husband, kids and a few friends know “the truth.”

14 hours ago, Lindsay_Sayz said:

Great! I’ll make the secret group tomorrow and post the link on this thread! I think it’s awesome to have several of us going through the same experience in one easy to read group! I love these threads, but Facebook groups are better!

Excited about secret group :) My surgery date is 1/18. I just found out yesterday. Needed to start preop diet two days ago but just found out my date. Time to get going on high Protein, low carb

Ugh! Just had pre-op appointment with dietician and found out they have to re-submit to insurance because it's a new year. Should just be a formality, but still frustrating. Hopefully it goes quick. Surgery is scheduled on the 11th.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

Good news...I've been approved again. Lol. Glad that didn't take long!

On 1/3/2018 at 7:39 AM, Lindsay_Sayz said:

I’m thinking of creating a Facebook Group for inspiration, so we can share our journey, post recipes, ask advice and of course to post results! Would anyone be interested in joining?

I would like to join has anyone started the group yet?

5 minutes ago, wendybird said:

Ahhh we are a lot alike! My surgery is the 24th, I’m hoping to go back to work (seated office) on Monday after surgery. I’m also a social wine and beer drinker and am planning for a big change in that habit!

I’m telling my boss that I’m having stomach surgery - only my husband, kids and a few friends know “the truth.”

Wendy,

I am also hoping to be in the office on Monday morning! I mostly sit at my desk but I also have to walk around the warehouse and check on things, and walk up stairs frequently to our mezzanine.

I was hoping to go skiing in Colorado at the beginning of March, and scuba dive again as soon as it warms up enough here in Florida (probably around April). Can any veterans chime in on if I might be up for the ski trip that soon (7 weeks)? I have been holding off on buying tickets because I am not sure.

1 hour ago, wendybird said:

I know i'm not a january sleever, but my date is so close january! anyway, i went back to work the tuesday after surgery and my surgery was on a thursday :) i was completely fine. i work in an office.

1 hour ago, CBBP said:

I've only told my very best friends that I'm getting a sleeve. Everyone else I've told I'm being operated for a hiatial hernia and that the doctor is putting me on a liquid only diet afterwards (true!) Graduating to smoothies and finally after 1 month, easy solids (true!). I say that I'll most likely lose some weight and that this is an added bonus! So, when people see me eating less and losing they won't be surprised. Then I'll just say that I'm taking the opportunity to continue eating well and losing (true!).

As for social life afterwards, I'll still be going out but eating less and mainly Proteins and drinking Water. The main thing is being out with friends and socializing, enjoying their company. People don't really notice what you drink as long as you have a glass in front of you. I'll also be meeting people more for coffee and teas.

Great advice on the hernia diet! That is what I've been telling people my procedure is on Monday but didn't realize they were on a special diet afterwards too! That will for sure be my story for the times when people are wondering why I am not eating. Perfect!!

Regarding the drinking thing, being 10.5 years out from the lap band I know that I'll be able to drink at some point down the road. I didn't drink on new year's even and thought people would say something or notice and guess what, no one cared! I was prepare to say I was driving if anyone brought it up but no one noticed. Granted I'm sure there will be situations where it will come up but my plan is to say that I've been working really hard to lose weight and one of the things i have given up for now is alcohol. I think people will understand that and given the fact that I will have lost weight, it's going to make sense. Personally I am going to try really hard to not drink for the first year. I understand the value of the honeymoon period a lot more than when I got my band. I also know I need to work really hard to create new habits over the first year, and keep those habits moving forward if I want to have long term success. I figure if I could give it up for having my daughter, I can give it up for me. :)

Anyone know if there is an app that would help to set timers and reminders for drinking and such? I'm scared about drinking my Water and then eating in between water

3 hours ago, LELH said:

I have only Clear Liquids the 2 days before surgery but that is the extent of it.

I have clear liquids for 3 days prior to surgery. I start that tomorrow as surgery is MONDAY!

Great advice on the hernia diet! That is what I've been telling people my procedure is on Monday but didn't realize they were on a special diet afterwards too! That will for sure be my story for the times when people are wondering why I am not eating. Perfect!!
Regarding the drinking thing, being 10.5 years out from the lap band I know that I'll be able to drink at some point down the road. I didn't drink on new year's even and thought people would say something or notice and guess what, no one cared! I was prepare to say I was driving if anyone brought it up but no one noticed. Granted I'm sure there will be situations where it will come up but my plan is to say that I've been working really hard to lose weight and one of the things i have given up for now is alcohol. I think people will understand that and given the fact that I will have lost weight, it's going to make sense. Personally I am going to try really hard to not drink for the first year. I understand the value of the honeymoon period a lot more than when I got my band. I also know I need to work really hard to create new habits over the first year, and keep those habits moving forward if I want to have long term success. I figure if I could give it up for having my daughter, I can give it up for me. [emoji4]

Well, I'm stretching it a bit with what I say about the diet... But people don't tend to know what hiatial hernia operations entail so they take what I say at face value. And I can always say my dietician wanted me to be extra careful [emoji56] I agree with you in creating strong good habits in the first year. Then they are easier to continue.

I just got my peer to peer finalized and my new date is January 15! I'm so nervous and excited! It's only 2 days before my 26th birthday.

MY coordinator just called with insurance approval and I'm scheduled for January 15th!!!!!! Eeeeeek!!!!! So excited

Mines on the 15th too! I can’t believe it’s so close but struggling a bit with the pre-op liquid phase. Trying to just take it one day at a time. Hoping the headaches don’t come back. ☹️

On 11/19/2017 at 12:18 PM, VSGnewguy said:

Anyone else scheduled for January?

Hello, my surgery was Jan 2. I had a lap and removed and a sleeve done. I am experiencing a lot of gas. I am constantly burping myself like a baby. The surgery went fine. My stomach is a bit swollen. What really bothers me is to drink. It’s painful. I am not taking any pain killers, I don’t feel I need it.