Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight Loss Surgery? No health Issues

Hey Guys,

I am new to this.

So my questions is I am 4'11 241lbs. I've had weight issues my whole life, tried every diet there is and can't keep the weight off/ or down, so my doctor recommended doing the VSG. I would love to do it however, I do not have any health issues at all. I am terribly nervous that doing the surgery I would get some kind of issue that I've never experienced before. The only thing that I have is Vitamin B and D12 deficiency which I control with pills. I just need some suggestions on if you guys would still consider doing the surgery or would you back out and try hard again with another diet plan.

I am now in my second month of the process for VSG and I have a surgeon who I absolutely adore. My insurance covers the surgery and all, I am just a bit scared that I would develop some kind of illness that i never experienced before.

HELP WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO!

Everybody on this board (or most) are pro surgery. We all know very well how big this hill is. Just go for it, it's the best thing I ever did to myself.

SW:305

CW:217

Sleeved 01.30.17

Thank you so much! I appreciate the response.

Great job with the weight omg!!! Yes, I think I will continue with the process.

What illnesses have I developed in the last year, since starting down this path as I stand here 99.5 pounds lighter than I was in April 2016?

1 - I've developed an expensive illness called chronic shopping for clothing. I hated doing it before and do it all the time! And I buy really nice stuff and it fits beautifully!

2 - I have a case of acute fencing expenses - I started fencing (en garde) 5 hours a week and now spend hundreds a month on club fees, lessons, training, equipment and planning travel for tournaments.

3 - I have vacation adventuritis - on this last vacation I went zip lining, hiking, river tubing, horseback riding and sailing.

My knee arthritis and asthma are both greatly improved. I have more energy. I'm just slightly taller than you but went from squeezing into size 22 pants to now wearing an 8 or 10 and leaning more toward 8s every day. This was the best decision I've every made. (Other than marrying my wonderful husband and having my two great daughters!)

Hey Guys,
I am new to this.
So my questions is I am 4'11 241lbs. I've had weight issues my whole life, tried every diet there is and can't keep the weight off/ or down, so my doctor recommended doing the VSG. I would love to do it however, I do not have any health issues at all. I am terribly nervous that doing the surgery I would get some kind of issue that I've never experienced before. The only thing that I have is Vitamin B and D12 deficiency which I control with pills. I just need some suggestions on if you guys would still consider doing the surgery or would you back out and try hard again with another diet plan.
I am now in my second month of the process for VSG and I have a surgeon who I absolutely adore. My insurance covers the surgery and all, I am just a bit scared that I would develop some kind of illness that i never experienced before.

HELP WHAT WOULD YOU GUYS DO!

I was sleeved on July 28, 2017. 5'4 and 233lbs. My major health problem was obesity. Other than that, I have no high BP, no cholesterol issues, no type 2. However, I knew if I didn't do this now, it was a matter of time before I had other health problems. Carrying that much weight around would ultimately cause me major problems. I am day 5 and back at work.

8 hours ago, Tranea said:

I just need some suggestions on if you guys would still consider doing the surgery or would you back out and try hard again with another diet plan.

Realistically...your chances of achieving and maintaining a 100+ pound weight loss without the help of bariatric surgery are less than 5 percent.

Diet plans aren't terribly sustainable for the long-term. I'm in my mid-30s and have lost 200+ pounds over the years with yo-yo dieting (lose 30 lbs, regain 50, lose 50, regain 90, lose 60, regain 100).

Most of us can lose weight without surgery. However, due to the incurable nature of obesity, most of us cannot keep weight off without surgery.

You can choose another diet plan, but the odds are heavily stacked against sticking with it for 5, 10, 15, or 20+ years from now. Again, dieting isn't a sustainable way to live. The diet you pick in order to lose the weight will resemble the one you'll need to adhere to maintain the weight loss for life.

Just some food for thought. :)

according to the BMI calculator, your BMI is 48.7. You're a great candidate for this. You're much more likely to develop issues by staying that weight than you will by having surgery. I never had any issues with surgery at all and would do it again every year if I had to.

P.S. I never had any obesity-related issues, either, but I knew if I didn't get the weight off, they'd be just around the corner.

Edited by catwoman7

I had my sleeve in March at 65 years old. I also had no co-morbidities except obesity. All my pre-op testing was normal. However, in my opinion, and apparently my insurance company's opinion, that was enough for them to pay for the surgery. It was probably just a matter of time before my body started to fall apart. Better to do it now before the medical issues start to appear. I have lost 89 pounds (a few in the couple of months waiting for the surgery) and have never felt better.... do it now, don't second guess yourself, you will be happy you did it.

I did not have any specific comorbities...I was "healthy" except for being morbidly obese. I knew it was just a matter of time before it my weight caught up with me.

My surgeon said that because I didn't have a bunch of other health issues my recovery from surgery would be quick and easy. He was right...physically I feel great. Now I'm focused on making the life long changes to maximize the tool.

I was a pre-diabetic and had acid reflux (had a lapland). I had surgery 7/10/17 and am down 10 lbs.

Okay....never in a million years did I think I would say this.....I am about 11 lbs from the lower end of a normal BMI.

BUT,....Now I'm concerned my clothes will be too big and I will have to buy more. I have a lot of great things from my

over 60 lb loss with the lapland. Doing wonderful, no issues. Kind of wonder if I got a good sleeve. Still can eat with no issues. I will look forward to checking my sugar again when I hit goal weight.

19 hours ago, Diana_in_Philly said:

What illnesses have I developed in the last year, since starting down this path as I stand here 99.5 pounds lighter than I was in April 2016?

1 - I've developed an expensive illness called chronic shopping for clothing. I hated doing it before and do it all the time! And I buy really nice stuff and it fits beautifully!

2 - I have a case of acute fencing expenses - I started fencing (en garde) 5 hours a week and now spend hundreds a month on club fees, lessons, training, equipment and planning travel for tournaments.

3 - I have vacation adventuritis - on this last vacation I went zip lining, hiking, river tubing, horseback riding and sailing.

My knee arthritis and asthma are both greatly improved. I have more energy. I'm just slightly taller than you but went from squeezing into size 22 pants to now wearing an 8 or 10 and leaning more toward 8s every day. This was the best decision I've every made. (Other than marrying my wonderful husband and having my two great daughters!)

YES, this is what it is all about! :D

Going into it, my only issue was being morbidly obese. I didn't have any health issues then or now.

Edited by heycrystal2052

The only thing I can say is "It's the best thing I have every done for myself.... ever!" Never had any regrets or issues, yes my hair is now starting to fall out, but that will grow back. I would rather have temporary thinning hair than take back the 52 pounds I have lost in 15 weeks.

I have gone from a Womans 4XL to a Ladies XL in shirts and from 24/26 to a 16/18 in pants so far.

LOVE IT!!!!!!

Devil's advocate here...

Complications happen in about 1 in 20 surgeries. Bleeding, infection, leaks, blood clots, etc. Death is very rare, but these other things can and do happen.

We all take a risk by undergoing the surgery, but the rewards ARE great when things go well. Only you can say whether the reward would be worth the risk for you.

Personally, my health was deteriorating rapidly, so both paths were risky (surgery vs. no surgery).

Do as much research as you can so you understand what the surgery can and can't do, and really get a grasp on your own "issues" that may or may not be helped. The surgery helps our bodies, but does nothing with our minds.

I started gaining weight in my late 20s after a car accident. No real problems other than obesity for a decade or so, then high blood pressure. Became diabetic in my 50s. Developed excruciating knee pain about six months ago (I'm 61). Not sure when my sleep quality went downhill . . . also have had acid reflux/GERD, had cancer two years ago.

You didn't say what age you are, so I don't know if you're lucky or just young. But it's very rate to be obese and otherwise healthy long term, and, as someone else pointed out, how many obese people in their 80s do you see??