Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is everyone taking to stay regular?

Curious what's safe for me and what everyone else is doing? I'm 6.5 months out and feeling great except for this issue. Fruits and veggies don't seem to be cutting it. Thanks in advance!

Band to sleeve revision surgery 1/16/17

HW: 283

CW: 199

GW: 160

Constipation can be a problem after surgery. Make sure you are drinking the required amount of fluids because this can make you constipated. Several months after surgery I became so constipated I had to resort to using glycerin suppositories. But this was the extreme when you are really bound up.

I discovered eating an apple a day just before bedtime corrected the problem. Then generally the next morning produced a bowel movement. But you must eat the skin of the apple along with the pulp.

Other remedies suggested by those on this board include:

Smooth Move Herbal Tea

Prune juice (warmed)

Prunes (4 in the morning and 4 at night)

Magnesium citrate

Insoluble fibers (Garden of Life Raw Fiber or Renew Life Triple Fiber).

Haribo sugar free Gummy Bears

Aerobic Magnesium 07

Ground Flax Seeds (but don’t try to grind it yourself). Use 2 tablespoons per glass of Water every night before going to bed.

Bowel Clear (herbal blend)

I take Probiotics and my diet (plant based) keeps me regular.

I have been taking just Fiber but it's not enough so I have to add a stool softener which ends up too strong for my tummy so I'm hoping once I find the right probiotic and start taking it that fiber and probiotics will be enough

7 minutes ago, James Marusek said:

I discovered eating an apple a day just before bedtime corrected the problem. Then generally the next morning produced a bowel movement. But you must eat the skin of the apple along with the pulp.

There's a great amount of truth to "Eat an apple a day, keeps the doctor away." :)

I only eat real food now and rarely have issues. When I do, it's normally because I didn't drink enough. When that happens I take a Colace and make sure to drink a lot of Water with it.

4 hours ago, James Marusek said:

Constipation can be a problem after surgery. Make sure you are drinking the required amount of fluids because this can make you constipated. Several months after surgery I became so constipated I had to resort to using glycerin suppositories. But this was the extreme when you are really bound up.

Other remedies suggested by those on this board include:

Smooth Move Herbal Tea

Prune juice (warmed)

Prunes (4 in the morning and 4 at night)

Magnesium citrate

Insoluble fibers (Garden of Life Raw Fiber or Renew Life Triple Fiber).

Haribo sugar free Gummy Bears

Aerobic Magnesium 07

Ground Flax Seeds (but don’t try to grind it yourself). Use 2 tablespoons per glass of Water every night before going to bed.

Bowel Clear (herbal blend)

The Haribo sugar free Gummy Bears cracked me up!!! I'm still cleaning up my keyboard from spewing water! Long ago, I spent an afternoon in "laughter therapy" reading the reviews of these sugar free li'l devils! Here's one of them, but not even the funniest one I remembered.

4 minutes ago, Sherrie Scharbrough said:

Take some dried prunes, cover them with Water simmer them and drink some of the juice and eat a few of the prunes. They will cause you to get gas but as a WL person we all know to "Never trust a fart" RIGHT

Also nuts. If I eat mixed nuts and it always make me go.

I actually eat gerber stage 1 prunes. It taste super good and seems to work well