Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much hair can one expect to lose?

I have lost so much hair to the point where I want to cry. I know it will come back in but I've been losing it for about a month or so now.. I'm 5 months post op RNY. Hopefully I see some regrowth soon!

I have lost so much hair to the point where I want to cry. I know it will come back in but I've been losing it for about a month or so now.. I'm 5 months post op RNY. Hopefully I see some regrowth soon!

I've started to take Biotin 20,000 much and using Shampoo and conditioner with biotin and collagen. I'm still losing hair but not as much and it looks thicker now. I can't wait until this part is over. My surgery was April 12th 2017, RNY also!

Hey :) so I want to encourage you :) I lost a TON of hair (I know... this isn’t the encouragement part) and I was devastated-the woman who cuts my hair for years says it’s completely normal and it would grow back- I was really nervous-

Fast forward to 10 months out now and last week when I got a hair cut she showed me about 3” (!) Of NEW HAIR coming in! So having long hair I had missed it completely- she brushed my hair up straight over my head and was able to show me how thin the ends were and how thick the roots were :) wow! I was thrilled!
So I asked her to cut off the old, nasty, thin hair at the ends (since I had such long hair- it was about 8”) - so she did! Now I have this super cute shoulder length haircut that shows off my “new” cheekbones and jaw line that I can see again! I’m loving it! And because the old hair is mostly gone, its weight isn’t pulling down the new, thicker (normal) hair that’s regrowing :)
I’m just saying that I’ve been where you are and was really scared- my long red hair has always been my “thing” that people complement me on- so I was really scared to lose it- (vain, I know, but all the years of being obese had me holding on to SOMEthing that gave me a little confidence) Anyway- I promise it will grow back- just take your Vitamins, get all of your Protein and keep your “new” chin up!

I haven't had my surgery yet. I m scared after reading this. What did your Dr say? I understand the body goes into shock. But why does surgery makes it lose so much? I m so sorry you're going through this. Keep your chin up. Have you tried women's Regain? I know caster oil helps hair grow too. I ll keep you in prayers

The average response is people seem to notice losing about half their hair, evenly over their head. (same for me.. I'm 7 months out and have been losing since the preop diet... but it does seem like the losses are slowing down a tad).

Usually the regrowth starts around 9 months or a year postop. (Fingers crossed for myself).

10 hours ago, aprilvinson38 said:

Protein levels are most useley low.

Oh my gosh! How long ago was your surgery, and which procedure did you get? Do you have a plan for getting your levels back up?

I'm at 4 months post-surgery and I haven't lost any hair yet. I keep waiting. Tried to prepare myself. Nothing yet. Crossing my fingers that it sticks around. As a side note, I had back surgery last year (for those who speak of anesthesia causing some issues/body trauma)...didn't lose any after that surgery either. I do keep my Protein intake solid, not a clue if that's helped.