Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you know when you're full?

I'm almost 2 weeks out from Loop DS/SIPS (hit 2 weeks on Monday, woo!) As I'm going to be transitioning to more purees, my question is: How do you know when you're full? I'm aware it's a different sensation now. Right now if I have too much liquid, I feel discomfort in my sternum and my insides get a little loud. It feels more like I'm filling up vertically instead of horizontally, if that makes sense. Is that the "full' feeling I should get used to from here on out or does it change as I continue to recover?

Thanks all!

In the beginning it's better to measure your food as you may not be getting the right signals until its too late.

3 minutes ago, biginjapan said:

In the beginning it's better to measure your food as you may not be getting the right signals until its too late.

Thanks, I've been doing that for sure and have been pretty fastidious about keeping track in My Fitness Pal. Just curious for the future. Thanks!

I have hard time to eat everything and get fuller after my surgery not FUN! But i love fast foods but my baratric doctor say not too much fast food need slow and eat at home all the times..

10 hours ago, ebroms17 said:

Thanks, I've been doing that for sure and have been pretty fastidious about keeping track in My Fitness Pal. Just curious for the future. Thanks!

I'm six months out and although I don't weigh food anymore, I still use my small plates and bowls and generally know when too much is too much. I've learned that it's easy for me to overeat, but that I won't feel the discomfort (most of the time) until after I've finished almost everything, and then I'll be uncomfortable for quite a while afterwards.

10 hours ago, Sara1981050 said:

I have hard time to eat everything and get fuller after my surgery not FUN! But i love fast foods but my baratric doctor say not too much fast food need slow and eat at home all the times..

Why would a doctor tell you to eat ANY fast food at all? Why would you want to put that back into your body after doing something this serious? I just don't get it.

I'm six months out and although I don't weigh food anymore, I still use my small plates and bowls and generally know when too much is too much. I've learned that it's easy for me to overeat, but that I won't feel the discomfort (most of the time) until after I've finished almost everything, and then I'll be uncomfortable for quite a while afterwards.

Thanks! Is the discomfort what I was describing or does it feel like feeling full was before the surgery?

Feeling full now is totally different than pre op for me. If I'm too full it just starts to back up on me in burp form. It's uncomfortable, tight, and rumbly, but its always that last bite that i never know will take me over the edge. No matter how slowly i eat i hit a wall about 15 minutes in and i have to stop.

Sent from my SM-G925T using BariatricPal mobile app

10 hours ago, ebroms17 said:

Thanks! Is the discomfort what I was describing or does it feel like feeling full was before the surgery?

I think everyone feels it a little differently. I've only got the burps once in all of my post-op eating. Usually it's just discomfort - tightness and pressure, and I feel like I can slowly feel the food moving through my intestines while my stomach remains uncomfortably full. It's definitely not a GERD-type feeling (which I had pre-op), although I do get pressure in my chest occasionally. If I overeat there's no way I can drink 30 minutes after eating - it's more like an hour before I feel good enough to consume anything.

When I get full I get that tight feeling in my stomach, I burp a lot and I get chest pains. The best way for me to avoid those uncomfortable feelings is to use containers that are way smaller than the plates I currently have. If I use a plate of any size, I'll end up making myself sick. That feeling of discomfort doesn't leave me until 45 minutes or so from the time I put the fork down.

Now I just eat enough to get me by.

----------------------------

HW- 273
Pre-op Wt- 230
SW- 226
CW- 179
GW- 130
Ht- 5'2.5"
DOS- April 26th, 2017

"Only those who try will become." ~FFX

I will burp and my chest feels tight. This doesn't usually happen to me now because I weigh my food out, I have learned how much is enough of the different Proteins I eat. chicken thigh 3oz, breast 2oz, steak 2 oz, turkey sausage 3 oz, ect,,, If you start by putting 4 oz on your plate and then weigh what you don't eat you will get a pretty accurate estimate of how much you should put on your plate. My goal is to eat just enough to be satisfied, but not get that tight over full feeling, This good advice came from blizair09. Our goal should not be to feel full just satisfied and then we never have to worry about overeating. Weighing your food also gives you accurate amounts of what you are eating for tracking.

The only time I get an uncomfortable feeling now is when I eat too fast. This can happen at 8-10 weeks post-op when you start forgetting that you had surgery. Your stomach is pretty much healed, you are back on regular foods, and sometimes you forget and eat too fast, or don't chew your food as well as you should, and you will get a similar feeling as being full.

I know when I've eaten enough when I start burping and as we're meant to eat slowly,I soon know I've eaten enough.
I also understand why you have liquids .5 hr after your meal. ... there really is no more space afterwards

I'm at 3 weeks post op now.
I'm getting better attuned to satiety

thanks all!