Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proteinaholic by Dr Garth Davis

I made a Veggie Butternut Squash Chili recipe this week tweeking 2 different recipes. (One was the sweet potato recipe on here). It turned out SO tasty & I've given some to loved ones and had it several times myself (sticking to my 1 cup limit - sometimes I just have half a cup).

So I used the following ingredients:

Cubed butternut squash (found in produce section)

1 can of low sodium black Beans drained/rinsed

1 can of Bushes Chili Beans medium

1 can of Pinto beans drained/rinsed and blended in Ninja blender

1 can of Mild Rotel

1 can of Hunts diced basil, garlic & oregano tomatoes

Diced garlic (2 heaping Tbsp.)

1 Tbsp chili powder

1 1/2 tsp. Cumin

1 1/2 tsp. Paprika

1 tsp. Oregano

4 cups vegetable broth

First sauteed a mixture of: diced onion, celery, carrots found in produce section. Then added the rest of the ingredients brought to a boil, turned down heat to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The next day I added in a cooked sweet potato diced to the leftovers. Delicious!

18 hours ago, OmaJ said:

I made a Veggie Butternut Squash Chili recipe this week tweaking 2 different recipes. (One was the sweet potato recipe on here). It turned out SO tasty & I've given some to loved ones and had it several times myself (sticking to my 1 cup limit - sometimes I just have half a cup).

So I used the following ingredients:

Cubed butternut squash (found in produce section)

1 can of low sodium black Beans drained/rinsed

1 can of Bushes Chili Beans medium

1 can of Pinto beans drained/rinsed and blended in Ninja blender

1 can of Mild Rotel

1 can of Hunts diced basil, garlic & oregano tomatoes

Diced garlic (2 heaping Tbsp.)

1 Tbsp chili powder

1 1/2 tsp. Cumin

1 1/2 tsp. Paprika

1 tsp. Oregano

4 cups vegetable broth

First sauteed a mixture of: diced onion, celery, carrots found in produce section. Then added the rest of the ingredients brought to a boil, turned down heat to simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. The next day I added in a cooked sweet potato diced to the leftovers. Delicious!

Thank you! 😃 I tried to correct spelling of a word & it posted my recipe twice, LOL. Attempted to delete one, but didn't see an option to.

On 11/16/2017 at 1:55 PM, smooshycheeks said:

Found this at the grocery store. First time I’ve found pea Protein in liquid form. Was hesitant, but tastes great. A bit thicker than soy or almond milk, and a tiny amount of noticeable grit, but far less than powdered. Had it in coffee and it was great! IMG_3015.JPG

I’ve had something similar, it was ok. I think if I just used it for mixing then I’ll stick to it. I just use almond milk for everything now. But if I happen to see this one, I’ll pick it up to try it too. Thanks for sharing!

My snow day plant based Breakfast of Kashi Cereal with blackberries, blueberries, and soy milk. Proteinaholic on my Kindle and How Not to Die in hardcover. Going to relax and read all day!!!

IMG_20180104_124529.jpg

On 1/4/2018 at 12:44 PM, Little Green said:

My snow day plant based Breakfast of Kashi Cereal with blackberries, blueberries, and soy milk. Proteinaholic on my Kindle and How Not to Die in hardcover. Going to relax and read all day!!!

IMG_20180104_124529.jpg

I hope you enjoyed your day! It looked very relaxing. 😌 I still have got to get Dr Greger’s book. I’ve heard nothing but great things about it.

I can't get use to almond milk somehow - I always use soy. I only use almond milk (don't want to use soy in everything) if the taste of the other ingredients definitely overpowers the almond milk.

4 hours ago, summerset said:

I can't get use to almond milk somehow

It was a quantum leap to accept a quirky flavour at first but I liked it (unsweetened almond milk) with egg whites and Protein Powder and was able to have it in other drinks and food over time.

I am eventually going to be vegetarian then vegan as I make changes in steady steps.

I really like unsweetened soy milk but the one I buy from Trader Joe's isn't fortified with Calcium. So I tried one from the regular grocery store that is both fortified and sweetened. It's not awful but I definitely like the unsweetened better. (This is over cereal, I don't drink it straight.) Any brand recommendations for unsweetened soy milk with added calcium would be welcome!

On 1/10/2018 at 10:37 PM, Newme17 said:

I hope you enjoyed your day! It looked very relaxing. 😌 I still have got to get Dr Greger’s book. I’ve heard nothing but great things about it.

To me it's similar to Dr. Davis's book but on steroids. I know you've seen his videos on NutritionFacts.org so imagine a whole book made up of those videos. It's very enjoyable but definitely brain-heavy. I just finished part 1 where he talks about all the studies and "how not to die" and I usually did 2 chapters per day just to let my brain rest and soak up the info in between. Now I'm starting part 2 where he talks about the daily dozen and what foods should make up the bulk of your diet.

On 1/15/2018 at 2:29 PM, Little Green said:

daily dozen

He has an easy app to journal those foods. I don’t care for journaling anything and tried it, but obviously I’m not wired to even do that easy app! Lol.

I just had my 1 month postop with dietician and surgeon. I was cleared to eat anything (??) and given an eating plan with a daily goal of 80-90 grams of Protein. I am not a scientist, doctor, or dietician, but I just know this can't be right.

How is it that we have all these amazing and miraculous feats of science and technology, but the medical and scientific community cannot agree on what we should be eating?

I cannot eat that much protein. I try to do 60 but many days I just don't eat a lot. I have fat, let my body eat that. [emoji1] [emoji1]

HW 274 SW 263 GW 125 GASTRIC SLEEVE 7/21/17. Height 5'1" instagram: K_aane_VSG

I'm so thankful that my surgeon has very reasonable Protein recommendations - only 50g minimum for women. That should be easily doable with Protein Drinks at the beginning and hopefully with food as well once I can eat more. Can't imagine having to reach 80 or 90g or risk being fussed at by the surgeon!