Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proteinaholic by Dr Garth Davis

So I watched the movie OKJA on Netflix. Of course I cried over a fictitious character, but the story was pretty moving. Not only did it move me but it just confirmed my lifestyle. I changed to WFPB for the health benefits, but I am not unaware of the cruelty and processes of how animals are treated for human consumption. The movie just reminded me of such things and I'm WAY MORE AWARE when I'm at the grocery store, driving by meat markets, etc. it's just a sad process.

1 minute ago, Newme17 said:

So I watched the movie OKJA on Netflix. Of course I cried over a fictitious character, but the story was pretty moving. Not only did it move me but it just confirmed my lifestyle. I changed to WFPB for the health benefits, but I am not unaware of the cruelty and processes of how animals are treated for human consumption. The movie just reminded me of such things and I'm WAY MORE AWARE when I'm at the grocery store, driving by meat markets, etc. it's just a sad process.

So happy to hear this, it's just an important thing that we can do as humans to reduce suffering. I would encourage you to check out Earthlings--the best documentary on the subject. (FYI, very graphic in parts)

@Newme17 and @fruitandveggies I was going to bring up this very subject. I have been reading The Omnivore's Dilemma, and it describes in detail the food production and it touches on both the environmental and cruelty aspects. I am a big animal lover. My chickens live like queens and have the run of my backyard everyday. I get so sad when I see the trucks with the chickens stuffed in the cages and I think about the miserable lives they all had.

I am going to watch both of those documentaries.

I just had my 1 month postop with dietician and surgeon. I was cleared to eat anything (??) and given an eating plan with a daily goal of 80-90 grams of Protein. I am not a scientist, doctor, or dietician, but I just know this can't be right.

How is it that we have all these amazing and miraculous feats of science and technology, but the medical and scientific community cannot agree on what we should be eating?

8 minutes ago, smooshycheeks said:

How is it that we have all these amazing and miraculous feats of science and technology, but the medical and scientific community cannot agree on what we should be eating?

It's sad that they don't "all sing from the same page", so to speak.

This must make a lot of food addicted sleevers reticent to move forward.

I'm planning to stay away from my trigger foods or at least pre-plan their occasional appearance in my food diary.

2 hours ago, smooshycheeks said:

I just had my 1 month postop with dietician and surgeon. I was cleared to eat anything (??) and given an eating plan with a daily goal of 80-90 grams of Protein. I am not a scientist, doctor, or dietician, but I just know this can't be right.

I don't follow the high Protein amount anymore. I let it take care of itself with my WFPB way of eating. My labs came out just fine too.

I'm am beside myself how the medical and scientific communities can't see on the same page with all that there is out there. Especially when there is proof! Just boggles me.

27 minutes ago, Newme17 said:

I don't follow the high Protein amount anymore. I let it take care of itself with my WFPB way of eating. My labs came out just fine too.

Labs can take a long time before become pathologic. They're not necessarily a good indicator.

However, I'm totally with you that this "lean animal Protein, protein and more protein" doesn't sound like the ideal diet. The typical WLS diet seems to neglect important phytonutrients and Fiber. With all this protein patients are eating it's no wonder to find several threads about "not being regular".

28 minutes ago, summerset said:

Labs can take a long time before become pathologic. They're not necessarily a good indicator.

However, I'm totally with you that this "lean animal Protein, Protein and more protein" doesn't sound like the ideal diet. The typical WLS diet seems to neglect important phytonutrients and Fiber. With all this protein patients are eating it's no wonder to find several threads about "not being regular".

True enough, it was my first lab, we shall see how it goes in the future. :)

Being irregular is an indicator that something is wrong, but most are just looking to take care of the symptoms of it and not the source.

I bought some Morningstar spicy veggie sausage patties....so good!

I'm am beside myself how the medical and scientific communities can't see on the same page with all that there is out there. Especially when there is proof! Just boggles me.

I'm going to do a 2 wk experiment. WFPB for 2 weeks and compare how I feel and my weight loss. I really think the high dairy protein is adding to my nausea.

Full disclosure, there will be eggs and cheese a few times each week because I like them and they make me happy.

2 hours ago, smooshycheeks said:

Full disclosure, there will be eggs and cheese a few times each week because I like them and they make me happy.

😂 this is cute! Hey, although not as much, i do have an egg and some cheese here and there myself.

Keep us posted on your experiment! I've only heard great things about WFPB with others I know how much better they feel, etc. Blessings on your WFPB journey hon!

[emoji23] this is cute! Hey, although not as much, i do have an egg and some cheese here and there myself.
Keep us posted on your experiment! I've only heard great things about WFPB with others I know how much better they feel, etc. Blessings on your WFPB journey hon!

Not necessarily eggs and cheese together! Although they are yummy together. Cheese on refried Beans is life altering!

33 minutes ago, smooshycheeks said:

cheese on refried Beans is life altering!

It's the best! I LOVE refried Beans and cheese!!!! YUM

I came home from work once again. Body aches, head being "squeezed", ugh. There is a virus going around down here that mimics severe allergies/flu. I think I've got it. But since I had the time, I went to the salon and finally got a hair trim that has been needed for quite a long time. Now I'm home about to take a nap, but I'm still marching on with making sure I get a nice meal on today. I'll prep the veggies and have my husband finish it when he gets home. Today will be a kale salad with tortellini (again!!!...I loved it) and a roasted sweet potato and poblano salad as well. Why two salads? well, my poblano peppers are going to go bad if I don't hurry up and use them. Here are my recipes is anyone is interested.

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2010/01/roasted-poblano-and-sweet-potato-salad/

https://www.budgetbytes.com/2014/01/kale-tortellini-cranberry-salad/

Also, do ya'll think we should utilize a vegan/vegetarian thread for recipes only? Or here is okay? Is there one? I haven't checked.

UPDATE: I created a HEALTHY Vegan/Vegetarian Recipe Swap and Pics thread....come join in!

Edited by Newme17

That sweet potato salad is definitely on my list. I may do it this week.

My dh loves all of the ingredients!