Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Proteinaholic by Dr Garth Davis

Great post and thank you making it a safe place to share ideas.

I've been a pescatarian (fish and eggs but no other animal products) for about 25 years, so I am very interested.

I have read so many books and studies and have tried to take a little wisdom from each. A high Protein diet is great if your only objective is weight management or body building. But I want more than that. I want high energy, weight management, cancer prevention, heart health, organ health, etc. fruit and vegetables are definitely the answer,. Given that we have so little stomach room to work with, it seems logical that we cannot take in so much protein and still have room for broccoli.

What is his stance on grains? I am leery of them, but my evidence is only anecdotal, based on my own experience.

4 hours ago, summerset said:

Reminds me that this book is still on my reading list. :lol: Got it quite cheap when Amazon ran a promo last year (only 1,27 Euro).

It's a great read. I'm thoroughly enjoying it. 😊

3 hours ago, swimbikerun said:

Newme17 - wish there were way more of you that did this.

I've learned to do my homework and not rely on others opinions and websites anymore. So, I listen with open ears but have to make educated decisions these days.

Ah thank you! I've actually grown up. 😂

1 hour ago, deeveg said:

I want high energy, weight management, cancer prevention, heart health, organ health, etc. fruit and vegetables are definitely the answer,.

You might be interested in the books of Joel Fuhrman as well. My favorite is "Super Immunity" so far.

FYI, I just joined the Proteinaholic FB group. Their original website has vaults more info, and they sent me an invite to join the FB as well.

catt

6 hours ago, deeveg said:

What is his stance on grains? I am leery of them, but my evidence is only anecdotal, based on my own experience.

Is the same as the research and evidence on grains in the article attached. I read it and went back looking for how grains affect the body nutritionally in the book and I couldn't find it. But this article spells it out pretty good too.

http://ucdintegrativemedicine.com/2016/08/busting-whole-grain-myth/#gs.oNam6wo

5 hours ago, summerset said:

You might be interested in the books of Joel Fuhrman as well. My favorite is "Super Immunity" so far.

I'm gonna have to get those as well. Thanks!

So, I am not here to turn people over. Sure, I want to encourage and want them to be open to, in my opinion and based on evidence, a more plant based diet. I will always share what I've found to be true. I will do my best to not just share my opinion but facts and by my experience as well.

With that said, the first people, outside of forums, I've decided to share my newfound knowledge with were my parents. We went to lunch and I broached the subject of how well my husband and I were doing with our plant based diet, based on our experiences. Then I decided to bring up the book. Lol. OH BOY! Let's just say, I hated lunch. I did not tell them to change their diet at all. I simply said "Dr Davis shows the science and research as to how animal Proteins affect our bodies. It's a good read." Instantly I get "I won't ever give up my meat." "I need Protein or I feel really bad." "I don't need to read that book, I already know all about it." (I wanted to ask if my mom was a doctor who decided to spend days researching for the answers to the obesity and chronic disease in America but I kept my cool) My husband said to me, "let's not ever broach that subject with them again!"

So, they're PROTEINAHOLICS. Lol

Edited by Newme17

On this forum, no one can accuse you of trying to convert someone. You're preaching to the choir! ha ha ha ha. That being said I think its a very good thing to tout a MD bariatric surgeon who promotes healthy food choices.

3 hours ago, swimbikerun said:

On this forum, no one can accuse you of trying to convert someone. You're preaching to the choir! ha ha ha ha. That being said I think its a very good thing to tout a MD bariatric surgeon who promotes healthy food choices.

Thank you!! Lol. I will continue to do so. 😉

oooh......we need more doctors like these

IMG_3125.JPG

Thank you for posting this topic! I will definitely look into reading this book. It sounds interesting. I've been thinking of doing away with a lot of animal based Protein once I have my WLS in September. It's kind of a daunting thought though. I've always planned out my meals based around my protein (meat) choice. I can foresee meal planning to be much more challenging especially since I'm a little picky about my veggies. BUT I know everything about WSL process is going to be a challenge. So maybe I should try one or two days a week where I eliminate meat? Did you guys just cut it out immediately or did you ease yourself off of meat?

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

Had some meat in the beginning, but red meat just never worked, nor anything fried, etc. with so many problems. I ended up basically handling chicken and turkey that wasn't fried, tough, etc. and with Hindu coworkers, etc. it was like oh well. Their food is really good and tasty and all sorts of new spices, etc. so I'm good with it. I have eaten goat some and its ok.

26 minutes ago, Erikita said:

Thank you for posting this topic! I will definitely look into reading this book. It sounds interesting. I've been thinking of doing away with a lot of animal based Protein once I have my WLS in September. It's kind of a daunting thought though. I've always planned out my meals based around my Protein (meat) choice. I can foresee meal planning to be much more challenging especially since I'm a little picky about my veggies. BUT I know everything about WSL process is going to be a challenge. So maybe I should try one or two days a week where I eliminate meat? Did you guys just cut it out immediately or did you ease yourself off of meat?

Sent from my SM-G950U using BariatricPal mobile app

it was kind of hard getting it going in the beginning for me. I won't lie. Not because I had to have meat, because naturally I just didn't crave or cared for it, but because I cook for my whole family and wanted everyone to be on board. Now that my husband is, it's way easier to do. We are going the vegetarian route for now. My kids still have some growing to do so I'm not too worried, but I am incorporating plants in their foods and they don't know it. Lol. But one place that has been very good as far as recipes go is www.budgetbytes.com under the vegan/vegetarian meals. It's cheaper and easy recipes and so far, we love every one of them that I've made.

all that to say...i eased in to it in the very beginning. That was probably about 3 weeks before surgery. Then after surgery, it was pushed to have protein protein protein. I was going with the flow...but I knew I wanted to be plant based again and thought "well, maybe at maintenance." That's just too far away for me. Someone had mentioned Dr Weiners POUND OF CURE to me and my interest started even more so. In my opinion, there's no need to wait until then and there's no need to eat animal protein to get protein and there's definitely not the need to have so much protein!

hope you get to reading the book, I think it'll help clarify and confirm your path. 😊

Darn, forgot my book. It's what I read during lunch.

Guess I'll be doing some research then instead. Hope everyone has a happy day today!