Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Meaty Meltdown

Howdy all! Im just about to reach my 3rd week Post-Op but I am curious to look ahead and see what kind of meats you all enjoy eating. Being from Texas everything is centered around meat (steaks, pork, chicken, fish) and I am looking forward to eating a nice lil helping of Protein (when that time comes). Tell me your Go-To's! And even your avoidances!

P.S id really like to know of any steak experiences in particular!

Sent from my SM-G928T using BariatricPal mobile app

I rarely eat steak, but my go to Protein is a nice lean, boneless chicken breast or some pork loin. I've baked a chicken breast, cut it open, added some cheese, wrapped in bacon... easily 2 meals.... tonight, made pork loin chops, pounded thin, added a slice of lean ham, a slice of Swiss cheese, folded it over, a light egg wash, some panko break crumbs, baked... delicious... my first meal, after surgery, was a Monterrey cheese burger, no bun, from Whataburger... I could only eat less then a quarter of it... had 3 more meals from it.... can honestly say, I haven't been back.... good luck on your journey!

I like chicken thighs because they are more moist. I've made them all different ways. So good. I ate a ton of fish on vacation (I won't eat it where I live. Not fresh)
I have yet to try beef but I'm thinking a burger on the grill sounds good this weekend. I love cheddar cheese sticks. I love almonds too. Hmm I haven't tried pork either. Maybe I should branch out! Rib eye sounds delish too.
Look what you started!

I am 4 years out from my RNY. I have had a hard time with meat. I can eat moist wings, which I make a mean SOY SAUCE chicken wing. Yummy Just try different meats sowly. I just now can eat a very very tender steak ( I have waited so loooong for it) One of my favorite before my WLS. We buy a T-bone steak and hubby gives me the very moist tender piece after he pounds it to death. We share it. (He also had WLS) To be honest I had to use Yogurt, Beans, cottage cheese, cheese for my Protein. Plus I have a protein I add to my coffee to help me get my protein in. Heck it has only been the last 9 months that I even tried bread. I buy our famous (around here anyway) DAVE'S KILLER BREAD. Al kinds of good stuff in it. Whole grain lots of nuts etc. I can eat 1 piece. I also use nuts and P. butter almond butter. All great in moderation. Good Luck!! I hope you can do better with your meat challenge.

I started eating steak the week I was out of soft foods. No problems here! At first I was only able to eat a bite of ribeye, but now at 2.5 months out, I can eat up to 5 ounces if it's the only thing I eat.

I'd recommend fish for starting out. They tend to be good sources of Protein. If you steam it or don't overcook it, it'll also be moist and tender. Grilled or steamed salmon is my favorite!

If you like Asian food, look up hainanese chicken. It's poached chicken (I usually just use chicken thighs in the rice cooker) with ginger, garlic, broth, soy sauce, some seasonings, and rice. I leave the rice for my boyfriend, but the chicken comes out super soft and tasty!

Just watch how you're preparing your foods. Breaded/fried foods will give you unnecessary carbs and fat as well as barbecue sauce which is generally full of sugar.

Edited by PAstudent

Just make sure the meat you eat is moist......in other words, the microwave for reheating of meat might not be your best friend).

Hi all. I am 5 weeks out and it is still very difficult for me to eat meat... Foods in general. Funny how I use to love food but now I'm afraid to eat due to the fact that I'm scared it's gonna hurt. Not sure if this is normal but seems alot of things hurts when It gets in my pouch and it discourages me to really eat.

I ate filet at the lone star at 4 weeks- my surgeon said I could try it. I chewed it to bits and it was amazing! Super juicy and tender. Only ate less than half of the smallest one and had the same amount leftover the next day. I had no trouble at all. I wouldn't eat it all the time but it sure was yummy! I've also been eating grilled chicken, ground beef in spaghetti sauce, tuna fish and chicken salad. I had a starkist pouch tonight- I got a variety pack of 2.5 oz of tuna. I had the lemon pepper and it was great. I shouldn't have eaten the whole thing though- I'm waiting now for it to digest so I won't be uncomfortable- not pain so much, just "ugh I shouldn't have had that last bite"
I will say my recovery has been super. My surgeon didn't have me on a purée phase. I had soft foods on day 5 and at 2 weeks added tuna, ground beef and chicken salad, the next week I added the chicken breasts.
Every protocol seems different.
Good luck!

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 197.4 GW 135

I'm on softs for a few more weeks. meat has been my main Protein source. Small piece of cod pan seared. Moist brisket blitzed in mini food processor. Canned chicken made it to chicken salad. Canadian bacon from deli sliced thin. Pulled pork blitzed in mini food processor. My grocery store butcher sells premade slider patties. I can buy 1-2 and it's cheap.

Im about 7 weeks out and can only eat about 2 oz of meat.

I freeze meat into 2 oz packets.

I like chicken tenderloins. They are already cut like chicken fingers so I just throw on a little breading and fry them up in a little extra virgin olive oil. Sam's Club sells some frozen breaded shrimp that's easy to make. One serving is only 130 calories and one and a half servings is about all I can eat.

I like chicken tenderloins. They are already cut like chicken fingers so I just throw on a little breading and fry them up in a little extra virgin olive oil. Sam's Club sells some frozen breaded shrimp that's easy to make. One serving is only 130 calories and one and a half servings is about all I can eat.

Do you have trouble at all with it being fried? I'm afraid to try and fired foods- I've heard it upsets sleeved stomachs.

Mich W

6 minutes ago, Missy161 said:

Do you have trouble at all with it being fried? I'm afraid to try and fired foods- I've heard it upsets sleeved stomachs.

Mich W

I have no trouble. I just bread them with an egg and some breadcrumbs and use some evoo. I used to get gerd and though I had IBS but since I got the sleeve I have experienced none of those symptoms.

I have no trouble. I just bread them with an egg and some breadcrumbs and use some evoo. I used to get gerd and though I had IBS but since I got the sleeve I have experienced none of those symptoms.

Just when I thought I wouldn't have a chicken strip ever again[emoji119][emoji23]

Sent from my SM-G928T using BariatricPal mobile app

My new stomach does not like chicken unless it is really moist and very soft, like mush. I'm almost 7 weeks out.

WTF!?!?!

i'm about to have a meaty meltdown myself.

why did my man ask a question and get answers from mostly WOMEN!?!

i could have sworn the name of this forum is THE GUYS ROOM.

:angry: