Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

So,... I have my sleeve done Aug. 1st. I had to pre-order my meds because Walmart could not even fill one. They each had to be ordered. I pick it up today and my pain meds are liquid hydrocodone(ok with that) I was told not to fill the expensive one unless needed, however, they had NONE of these so, I went ahead and had them order them...2nd was a pain patch $95...was told $75 when it was ordered on Monday evening). I told them to put it on hold because I normally have a high-tolerance to pain and hoping I could save the 100. Third- Vitamin D in PILLS(about the size of gas pills-softgel) Fourth-Nausea Aprepitant-3-pills--much bigger hard capsule pills.(Also the one he didn't advise filling unless needed-I assumed it was the Patches at 100.00) Cash pay for these were $561.00---That's not a typo! This is for 3 nausea pills normally for cancer patients. and they are 2-3 times bigger than the Vitamin D. I asked about them not being liquid form and this is what the prescription said. Did any of you have or able to swallow pills right away???? Did you need the pain patches??? I hate to waste money and what if I don't need or can't take that nausea pill??? Promethazine always worked for any other nausea I had...........they can't be returned. Is $95 good for 12 (3-4 days worth I think pain patches? I will have 2 weeks home time and then return to college-no hard labor just 1 small flight of stairs.....opinions?

I chewed my pills for the first 2 days. I would ask the doctor for cheaper antinausea pills after surgery. I don't think you will need hydrocodone and pain Patches together either. Make sure to ask for the generic substitutes as well.

My doc gave me no meds post op. And I didn't need any. I didn't have any pain meds after the first night. The only thing I took post op was my omeprazole which is a capsule, which my doc was fine with me taking once I got home. And he said I could swallow pills as long as they were the size of the eraser on a pencil

Pain and nausea are very individual. I didn't have either after leaving the hospital. You will need to take an antibiotic if prescribed (that is doctor specific, some get them, some don't), and an acid reducer (or two). Capsules are MUCH easier than pills, and anything that can be crushed or chewed is even better.

For me, I didn't need any pain medication after surgery. I actually had more pain from my acute pancreatitis after the surgery than I did the actual surgery. I wasn't ever given nausea meds except in the hospital through IV. I wish they had, I had the worst nausea experience. It's different for everyone, I would say use the Patches because the oral pain medicine tastes awful. Also, some Dr.'s prescribe an acid reducer, but it's the same as the over the counter version that comes in a better tasting chewable form and it's cheaper.

I was given one of the Aprepitant to take before surgery as well as 1 scopolamine patch to help with nausea from anesthesia. My surgeon did 2 liquid pain meds- Tylenol 3 (tylenol with codeine) and Vanatol (tylenol w/ caffeine and a barbituate which is a step down). I was off them within 4-5 days so had a lot left over. I got zofran and phenergan for nausea and again just needed them for a couple days and I took 1 zofran after I tried a Multivitamin at 2 weeks out and it made me throw up.

My doctor also sent out scar cream meds, a PPI, and some Vitamins which were in huge capsules so I'm waiting a few months to use them.

I was given liquid zofran and liquid oxycodone and they were really cheap. Omeprazole that I'll be on the first 3 months. Calcium+D soft chews and multi Vitamin soft chews over the counter about $30 each for a month supply. I bought liquid Tylenol and took that when needed. As far as the stairs, see how you feel and take the slow or they probably have an elevator for use I would imagine that might help until you feel up to stairs. You'd be surprised what movements use abdominal muscles. I also bought stool softeners since I was having a difficult time getting the Fluid in.

6 weeks out I can swallow everything except my huge Metformin pill. Fortunately my sugar is in a reasonable range, so my PCP says I can wait until week 12 to try again.

6 weeks out I can swallow everything except my huge Metformin pill. Fortunately my sugar is in a reasonable range, so my PCP says I can wait until week 12 to try again.

I came home completely off of metformin. My blood sugar has been in 85 -95 range every morning. Do you still have high blood sugar and diabetes? Just curious. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app

Your liquid pain Med is good, I got that too. But your nausea Med should be the zofran that melts on the tongue. You don't want nausea Med as a pill in the stomach. Our doc gave the zofran in pill form, but when I asked, he wrote me a scrip for the zofran melts. Once you have those two, you should be fine. Colace was a gel but it worked fine.

Duplicate,

Edited by gwbicster

Duplicate.

Edited by gwbicster

Duplicate.

Edited by gwbicster

7 hours ago, K_aane said:

I came home completely off of metformin. My blood sugar has been in 85 -95 range every morning. Do you still have high blood sugar and diabetes? Just curious. ..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app

My sugar is never above 150. My surgeon says unless it goes over 200 I can get away without the Metformin. My PCP wants me back on it ASAP. I agree with my PCP but it's a matter of logistics. Even when I crush it I can't tolerate it.

I have managed to get off of three other diabetes meds however. Those were the "bad" (and expensive) ones.