Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve to gastric bypass

Hey guys, I'll be going next Thursday for a revision to gastric bypass due to reflux, and I'm also having my gallbladder removed.

Has anyone had the revision from Sleeve to bypass for reflux? How was it afterwards? Did you have to start your diet stages all over again? And also even though it's not for a weight loss reason, will you still lose weight ?

I had my revision in Nov 2016.you do start the phases of diet.My diet pre op was only for 1 week.I have lost 52lbs.

Hey..yes you will have to go through the stages and if anything it is stricter than the sleeve..
I had my revision on 29/7 for reflux and weight gain and I'm happy to say I've had no reflux since surgery. I have to take a Zoton tablet before bed for 3-6 months so whether that is controlling it or the surgery I'm not sure, but when I was in hospital I wasn't taking anything..[emoji4]

Bit late, but yes, I had my sleeve go bypass revision 2 weeks ago.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

How are you going with it? Are you still on liquid diet?

when are they going to stop doing this clearly subpar sleeve surgery.

it's becoming unethical at this point.

I'm on purees now, so not quite as restrictive, but I miss food! How are you doing? Able to eat fairly normally now? I was only on a cup of food at a time before surgery, so I found this recovery much quicker than my sleeve recovery.

Johnny, the surgeon who did my sleeve is wonderful and very responsive. I lost 110 lbs and didn't regain, I'm just over 18 months out. I had the revision because my sleeve pouch got kinked, causing GERD. The surgery to repair the kink has only a 50% success rate, so he recommended the bypass. He saw the kink issue in enough patients that they have now changed the sleeve procedure, putting in sutures to minimise the chances of the pouch moving around enough to get kinked.

I was very happy with the sleeve surgery itself, as are most of the people in my VSG support group. Initially I asked for the bypass, but the surgeon said that as I wasn't diabetic or prediabetic, the VSG was a lower risk option with similar outcomes.

10 hours ago, Cheeselife said:

I had the revision because my sleeve pouch got kinked, causing GERD. The surgery to repair the kink has only a 50% success rate, so he recommended the bypass. He saw the kink issue in enough patients that they have now changed the sleeve procedure, putting in sutures to minimise the chances of the pouch moving around enough to get kinked.

exactly my point!

i didn't question that you lost weight. the problem is the number of patients who develop terrible GERD because of this surgery. you included.

fact is you have had to battle GERD and now have to have another surgery. had you gotten the RNY in the first place, you'd be perfectly fine right now and not needing another operation.

this board is filled with sleeve patients battling GERD and/or being revised to RNY. and for what? for 10-15% LESS excess weight loss? for not as good diabetes resolution?

no, it's a sales technique to capture the part of the market who inexplicably have something against "rearranging my intestines". i think patients who think like this need to grow up and i think bariatric doctors should employ higher ethical standards and stop pushing this defective sleeve surgery.

I can see this is an important issue for you, you clearly feel strongly about it. I'm wondering if there might be kinder ways for you to express those feelings that might make it easier for people to hear the valid points you're making.

I had a revision due to the GERD and heartburn, in the 9 months leading up to it, my surgeon started looking at some data and why there were so many revisions. His findings were that unlike priori where GERD and heartburn were not thought to be an issue passed down is now looking like it is. And due to that he has added new screening questions about more familial conditions that can come into play after the sleeve surgery if that is what what was being considered. And if there is even the slightest hint that it could be there he is opting for bypass.

I had my original sleeve back in may 2015.. just had revision from sleeve to bypass on august 1.. have dropped 22 pounds so far. I also had the revision to bypass for GERD and also due to sleeve pouch stretching causing weight gain. I finally start solids in 2 days and looking towards seeing how my body reacts. Soo far i have tolerated everything i have consumed but everyone warns me of the first dumping symdrome attack i will experience eventually. Is been just over a month and i don't feel like i have a bypass. Puree and liquids go thru like nothing and do not know if this is normal or is the way is just supposed to be. I hear many stories of people who also say the same until they get to solids. My weight loss has sorta stalled right now but i have confidence once solids stage kicks in thing will pick up.. the sleeve is sorta like hit or miss and it all depends on each individual. Some people are a success and do not suffer from any symptoms or issues like GERD and have been able to maintain the weight loss very well. On the other hand now i am seeing that the sleeve is becoming sorta like when many people were getting their lap-band removed because of complications. The number of patients getting sleeve revisions is climbing. But goodluck to you on this journey and hope that you can finally have relief from your GERD

I'm on solids now and I feel like I haven't had anything done..I have had no dumping and did have a few peanut m&m's to see how my body reacted to chocolate..nothing .. to be honest I would have preferred to dump..not that I'm planning to eat chocolate on a regular basis..I have also had lightly fried food with no ramifications..on the whole my food choices are healthy but I'm wondering why the things I thought I would have issues with have been fine.

I'm on solids now and I feel like I haven't had anything done..I have had no dumping and did have a few peanut m&m's to see how my body reacted to chocolate..nothing .. to be honest I would have preferred to dump..not that I'm planning to eat chocolate on a regular basis..I have also had lightly fried food with no ramifications..on the whole my food choices are healthy but I'm wondering why the things I thought I would have issues with have been fine.