Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone,

Been a while since I've posted, but I wanted to get some thoughts from all of you that have gone on a cruise after having had your surgery. Have you had any difficult conversations or awkward moments because of food left on your plate, etc? I also had a few crew members make some unnecessary comments to me about how "they have a big kitchen" and would love to bring me tons of food. I hate that stuff...

I made a video over on my YouTube channel about it, I'd be interested to see what you all think as well. Thanks in advance.

I have never been on a cruise but I have a question for people that go on cruises.

Why put yourself in a gluttonous environment that is not conducive to your new lifestyle?

These cruises are like putting a heroin addict in a drug den. I do not understand why people make these choices, then get upset when people react to them acting abnormal.

Cruises are not all about the food, and there is far more to do on a cruise vacation than just eat. I understand where you are coming from, but that generalization doesn't apply to everyone.

You might be more open-minded if you've been on a cruise, and thus may realize it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.

Cruises don't interest me as a world traveler because of their track record, I would never go on one, especially not as a woman.

My opinion is based on the fact that there are always lots of cruise and food questions posted on WLS forums (just like this one). No one ever posts that they went rock climbing, swimming and had a blast or talk about their excursions (these are all some of the things that are available on cruises), not to mention the entertain shows on board.

All people do is whine about the food, and drinks and try to figure out how to drink alcohol even before they are 6 months from surgery.

You made a thread about cruises and food, but you are complaining that someone is asking questions about cruises and food? If there is more to do on a cruise than eat, why are you complaining about the food situation on the cruise? If food wasn't an issue or you had such a great time, why would the wait staff asking you a few questions be worthy of a forum post and a youtube video? You are making it seem like food is the central attraction and issue on a cruise. If everything else on the cruise made a greater impression, you wouldn't even care about the food issues.

I went on vacation this summer and food was not the highlight of my vacation or a major issue (and I had lots of delicious food at some great restaurants), I went hiking, kayaking, shopping and a lot more. Food isn't my focus, I eat to live, not live to eat.

So why all the cruise and food and alcohol posts? Why a cruise when you can just fly somewhere, and stay at a resort with activities?

Wow... I posted that as a general question in a supportive community, not an invitation to get chewed out.

For the record, my weight loss has improved my confidence to try things I never would have had the courage to try. I went rock climbing on a past cruise, I've even done scuba diving and all of the stuff fit me. Cruises are my favorite form of vacation because of all of the things to do onboard, and it doesn't make me sit on a plane for a long time.

Thank you for the information! I watched your video and I appreciated your perspective on things. Everyone has their favorite way of traveling don't worry on the critical comments. I was sleeved 9/6/16. I haven't been on a cruise post surgery yet but feel better about it now.

I went on an all-inclusive vacation 5 months post op because of my anniversary with my hubby. It's not a cruise but similar (unlimited food, drinks, and can go on excursions). At first I used the regular players but could not finish, it looked like I never touched the food. A light bulb came to my head & I used the small desert plates for my meals. Thankfully, my hubby ate anything I couldn't finish. I didn't get any comments from the weight staff.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 145 lbs, now ready to lose 15 more past goal.
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

I am going on a cruise 4 months after surgery. It is a 9 day cruise for square dancing. We dance every evening and any afternoon we are en route to a port in the southern Caribbean. I plan on booking port excursions, swimming, seeing a broadway show, and shopping. I also plan to eat lol.

We even dance at a hotel in Miami the night before the cruise. I am really excited as it is the first cruise I have ever been on. I hope to have to alter all my square dance outfits or sew a few new ones before that. Yeeha!!!

42 minutes ago, Sosewsue61 said:

I am going on a cruise 4 months after surgery. It is a 9 day cruise for square dancing. We dance every evening and any afternoon we are en route to a port in the southern Caribbean. I plan on booking port excursions, swimming, seeing a broadway show, and shopping. I also plan to eat lol.

We even dance at a hotel in Miami the night before the cruise. I am really excited as it is the first cruise I have ever been on. I hope to have to alter all my square dance outfits or sew a few new ones before that. Yeeha!!!

Right on! Have a great cruise, sounds like it's going to be a lot of fun!

9 hours ago, CocoNina said:

I went on an all-inclusive vacation 5 months post op because of my anniversary with my hubby. It's not a cruise but similar (unlimited food, drinks, and can go on excursions). At first I used the regular players but could not finish, it looked like I never touched the food. A light bulb came to my head & I used the small desert plates for my meals. Thankfully, my hubby ate anything I couldn't finish. I didn't get any comments from the weight staff.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 145 lbs, now ready to lose 15 more past goal.
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

That's a really good idea too - using small plates. Definitely has helped me in the past too!

12 hours ago, lalame said:

Thank you for the information! I watched your video and I appreciated your perspective on things. Everyone has their favorite way of traveling don't worry on the critical comments. I was sleeved 9/6/16. I haven't been on a cruise post surgery yet but feel better about it now.

I'm glad my video was helpful - and thanks so much!

Cruises are great for healthy vacations! A morning workout at the gym, tons of walking on shore, and great healthy food options. My mindset and commitment are what makes the difference between indulging in things that will take me off a healthy path or being even healthier than at home.