Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Schedule for weaning off Phentermine before WLS

First, let me say I am just asking for your experiences, I fully intend to follow my doctor's schedule but I do not see her again for three weeks and I am curious how long weaning off medication will take.

I take Phentermine one 15mg capsule each morning. What did your weaning schedule look like before surgery?

I am working toward having WLS in September.

I would like to know that too. I'm currently taking it now, but I don't have a surgery date yet. I was kind of hesitant taking it.

I just had surgery on Tuesday and did not wean myself off of it and haven't had any problems. I didn't even think about it to be honest. I'm no longer taking it either. If you think you may have problems contact your doctor that prescribed it beforehand. You will have a lot of discomfort and you don't want to add something else to your plate.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

I just had surgery on Tuesday and did not wean myself off of it and haven't had any problems. I didn't even think about it to be honest. I'm no longer taking it either. If you think you may have problems contact your doctor that prescribed it beforehand. You will have a lot of discomfort and you don't want to add something else to your plate.

Sent from my Z981 using BariatricPal mobile app

Thanks, I will talk to my doctor.

My surgeon wanted me to stop phentermine 2 weeks before surgery. She was concerned it would affect the anesthesia.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app

My surgeon wanted me to stop phentermine 2 weeks before surgery. She was concerned it would affect the anesthesia.

Did you just stop "cold turkey" or gradually reduce? Mine said to just be off by surgery day.

I basically stopped cold turkey about 3 weeks before surgery. Once my surgeon told me why I decided to stop early.

Thanks for the info Travelergirl. I was just concerned because I've read alot about horrible withdrawal issues. I'll let you all know what my doctor says and how it goes for me.

thanks for the input!