Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Let's be real here. What REALLY is the purpose of a 2 week liquid only diet? I know we're supposed to be shrinking our livers but that seems to be more of a carb issue than a liquid/solid issue. What is the significance of 2 whole weeks of broth and sugar free Jello? ! I went from eating salmon, grilled chicken and veggies only to nasty artificial sweeteners, excessive sodium, and dairy products that are just nauseating to me. I was eating SO healthy before so I can't help but feel resentful that I'm starving here on processed garbage for a procedure that's supposed to make me healthier. I mean, 3 oz of grilled chicken has 25g of Protein and 0 carbs, how would that not help to shrink the liver? I need someone to talk me off of a ledge here because I feel awful. I constantly have the shakes, can't leave my house because I have sudden horrible diarrhea all day, and now I'm dry heaving and vomiting throughout the day. I feel so weak and I'm taking my Vitamins religiously. Today is day 6 for me and I'm hitting a wall and starting to feel angry. It doesn't help that I'd stuck between 700-900 calories per day and haven't lost anything yet! I asked my surgeon and he kind of just laughed it off and said "that's just the rules." Anyone else miserable on this liquid diet? Im terrified that this is how I'm going to feel for the rest of my life!

I have never found a good reason sited for the liquid pre-op diet. As you note, for those docs who need the liver shrinking thing, a low carb diet is the way to go, irrespective the form that it takes (liquids, solids, whatever.) It is not unreasonable to take a step in that direction by substituting Protein Drinks for a meal or two a day to get used to them, and that is a common approach (probably more common than the all-liquid diet for those programs that do pre-op diets.) The main reasoning that I could ever discern for them is the "that's the way we've always done it" excuse - close to what your doc's position is (which probably means that he doesn't know why they do it, either, and since it's not him having to do it, why do anything different?)

Yes, other people are miserable on these diets, which is why we hear so much about them on these forums (those who don't have to do them have little to complain about, so they don't post much about it.) You won't feel like this for the rest of your life, though it may be a while, depending upon how long they have you on liquids post op (though your stomach helps out then, you will still probably get sick of them by the time your are into solids. Most who go through these things generally report that things get better after a few days of it, if that's any help

OP, don't read the following (I really don't want to rub salt in the wound,) but for those who are lurking and researching, these diets are not a standard or required part of the sleeve (or bypass, or any WLS) procedure, but are something imposed by some practices for reasons unspecified. Other practices do other forms of diets for various time periods, or none at all other than the day before. Some programs specifically don't want their patients fasting for weeks prior to surgery, as they want them as strong as possible going onto the table, while others feel that a low carb diet for some time provides them with an extra margin of safety or convenience. Personally, I would avoid those programs that use these liquid only diets, at least until they can provide some viable rationale for imposing them on their patients. Ask questions early during the information seminars, and at least go into it with your eyes open. But do follow your doctor's advice, as that is what you (or your insurance) is paying him for.

Good luck all,

Hey Mrs. Tesla - I'm with you. 8 pm, day three of Optifast 800 and I've only had two of the five shakes today because they are nauseating. My headache did go away though, so that is something.

I'm discouraged that your discomfort hasn't gone away by day 6!

My doc has done thousands of sleeves, so I am confident he knows what he is doing. There may be some stipulation for malpractice insurance or 'center of excellence' qualification that dictates this. It does seem a bit arbitrary but docs are used to non-compliant patients, so maybe this pre-op hell diet is a way for them to have more control over us/outcomes?

I notice that Mexican docs do not require this pre-op diet. After reviewing this site for weeks, it does seem standard protocol for US docs.

Hang in there!

My doctor told me that on day of surgery if my liver is fatty then they'd cancel the surgery and just sew me back up. And good luck having your insurance cover your second attempt at surgery. I think the liquid diet could also help get us used to not eating food, which would help with our immediate post surgery diet.

I had the same situation. I ate a meal or two. My bariatrician said to be 100% compliant three days before surgery. Until then I was semi compliment. I crashed emotionally. Also didn't lose weight. But make some hearty Bone Broth. I feel like the two week preop is training for the seven days full liquid diet after which is harder. Reach out if you're struggle. Pm me.

I just had to do a 1,000 calorie diet with less than 100 grams of carbs for a week before surgery.

And I booked in for 4+ weeks diet, wanted the most "Bang For My Buck". up to Day #6 I thought I was doing really good, then yesterday I got to feeling so weak , I had been trying to space my 4 high Protein Shakes , a sald with 2 T low-fat dressing lunch, one of my Snacks a small fruit, usually a 🍌, although I could have an orange, an Apple. or 3/4 cup unsweetened berriesm Wonder if 1/2 to 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce would substitute ? With dentures my 🍎-chomping days are behind me. Plus never forget my copious amount of Fluid, I single-handedly am keeping rivers in flood stage. I had been trying to keep something down the rosy pink highway ever 2 hours, but was attempting to stretch out to every 3 so I still could have a little life in my life. No diabetes in my personal history, so why so weak and Stacey? I'm taking in 850 to 1150 although it was supposed to be 1000xalorie, 100gr protein/70gr carb, did I DO SONETHING WRONG? Don't want to pass out, 300 pounds makes a BIG KA-THUMP! HELP VEYERAN PEEPS , HELP!