Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PRE-OP meal bariatric advantage

My Dr. still wants me to use Bariatric Advantage Meal Replacement for pre-op after explaining I'm vegan and milk products don't agree with me. I am vegan and when I drink milk products they upset my stomach. Has anyone else dealt with this or discussed it with there doctor? If so can you tell me what they suggested you to use instead of the bariatric advantage meal replacement? I am afraid that the whey Protein expressed from milk will upset my stomach.

I used Orgain vegan shakes, Svelte vegan shakes, and made my own with organic hemp Protein and macadamia milk. Luckily, I only had to take them for two weeks because I absolutely hate shakes!

Personally, if my doctor "made" me eat or drink something not vegan I'd be finding a new doctor. I will never consume animal products, especially based on something a doctor says (they don't even have to take nutrition courses in med school). For what it's worth, my surgeon, PA, and NUT have no problem at all with being vegan, in fact my surgeon said it's the number one thing you can do to extend your life!

So really, it's just your doctor's opinion, not fact. I've been 100% fine after surgery, I'm living proof you don't need a junk food to help you heal!

Thx! I completely agree. He's not making me really. I spoke with him over the phone about it. My husband also made the same comment you did about surgeons not trained in nutrition. So we are going to discuss it with him again. He's a very nice and understanding doctor. I think he thinks that vegan and vegetarian are the same thing. I moved here, to KY 6 months ago and no one has understood the difference when I told them. There's barely any fruit and veg section in grocery stores. I guess that's the south. I know if I drink those shakes I will just be thinking of all the baby cows that died and the moms that were made to stay pregnant to produce milk. Thx again. Your post has given me courage to stand my ground.

Great, I'm so glad to hear it! I'm sure if you can explain it to him he'll be fine. And of course it's much healthier for you in the long run, so you can feel good about that.

I know it can be hard to find decent stuff sometimes, but that's what Amazon and veganessentials.com is for! I believe they do sell Orgain on Amazon. So sad to hear the produce sections are so tiny where you are, so many people in the south need fruit and veg more than anything.

Well let me know how it goes! So glad to find another vegan on this path. :)