Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most absurd thing people said to you when you told them you were having WLS?

10 hours ago, Joann454 said:

Pats fan! I'll be crying as soon as Brady and Belichick retire I'm sure!

...haha, I will doing a happy dance! LOL

10 hours ago, BubbleSam said:

People don't understand what it's like to actually be thinking and deciding to make this life changing decision.

@BubbleSam

So very well said! I am sorry that you too had to deal with the negative comments. Its hard enough for us to make this decision and to have people actively trying to sabotage our plans is unthinkable!

Your post made me laugh, although I haven't told my mom yet that I am having surgery - you nailed her to a tee. Everytime I try to "diet" it seems that her food choices, the food she stocks the house with and what she makes for dinner gets worse. Like its an actual challenge! She is Italian and she cooks when she is happy, sad, mad you name it, she cooks for it. Its funny to see when the "food is love" turns into the "food is control".

Best of luck on your journey! You seem to have this well under control :)

54 minutes ago, mytime4me said:

Everytime I try to "diet" it seems that her food choices, the food she stocks the house with and what she makes for dinner gets worse.

My family lives with my in-laws. When I was on my preop diet, MIL brought home about 4 cakes, 2 dozen cupcakes, a couple gallons of ice cream, 4 pies... etc. There was no birthday, or party, or anything like that. She just couldn't seem to help herself. "Trial by Fire" is what I felt like. But I knew going off the diet wasn't optional, so I powered through. It took her a few months to wrap HER brain around not doing that anymore, and things have gotten so much better. She goes out for ice cream instead of bringing it back. Now we just have treats on actual special occasions. Shew.. what a relief!

I finally had the courage to talk to my new GP about WLS a week ago. That's the first thing that came outta his mouth. I didn't even respond. I just lifted my shirt and showed him how big my gut really was underneath those clothes. I then told him my BMI, he proceeded to weigh me because he didn't believe me, and finally agreed. He did try to sell me the idea of more dieting and prescribing me some weight loss pills though. Sheesh!

Good for you diet pills are terrible. Way to many dangerous side affects in many of them.

Oh man... (Ok, berry, shake it off.. you'll be ok. Just a harmless comment...*twitch* *twitch*) deep breath.. OOOmmmmmm
ok.. story time!
So, when I was about 5 or 7, my brothers told me to be careful swallowing watermelon seeds because they might grow in my belly.
I
literally
didn't
eat
watermelon
for
years.
And, when I DID start eating it again, I spent like 30 minutes picking the seeds out of one piece.
After all that? Now watermelon hurts my sleeve! LOL!

[emoji38] hysterical!

For all of these reasons, my husband and I have not told anyone about getting sleeved! I am 3 weeks post op and he is 2 weeks pre-op right now. This is a secret we are keeping between the two of us. We don't need the negativity, as you all have said, this decision is hard enough! I almost backed out of the surgery after I was admitted to the hospital on surgery day. I went through with it and I'm feeling pretty good about my decision so far. My fear came from having my gallbladder removed exactly 1 month prior to getting sleeved, but it has helped me keep the secret, by blaming my small portions or lack of eating on the lack of gallbladder to aid in digestion! Ha ha!

People are so rude and ignorant and they think they know what is best for you. Only you know what is best for you!

A neighbor said to me......what we go thru in the name of vanity......i put her in her place and told her, NO! I'm doing this for health reasons because I would like to live longer and healthier!!!!

A good friend of mine told me when I'm at my goal weight my tits will be at my belly button and my face will be full of wrinkles!!!! Thanks friend! It just so happens that she is already full of wrinkles and at 60 years old and 35 pounds down, half way yo goal!!!, I don't have any wrinkles!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using BariatricPal mobile app

Thankfully, I have not heard any smart ass remarks. That's the reason I chose not to share my journey with very many people outside those that I truly, truly trust. Sad that I felt I had to keep this from people because of that reason, to protect myself from those who feel the need to judge me. It's been a year, and thankfully, I'm more comfortable and can share it a little more as time goes by.

Sent from my LG-H740 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm so sorry! People are mean! I haven't had negative comments made to me (that I know of ).Y family that knows has been very supportive. My husband told more.people in the beginning than I did because he's so proud of me. My MIL said she can't wait to see me (I was sleeved 12/5). I am a slow weight loser though.

Sent from my SM-G900V using BariatricPal mobile app

...so today, I told my mother in law that I was having WLS and getting sleeved Friday (28-Jul). She told me to save myself the recovery and just stop eating french fries. Where was that helpful information all along?!?!?! LOL B)
In all seriousness, I am in the process of getting approved for time off after my surgery and the short term benefits manager at my company literally told me that if I utilized the work gym, I wouldn't have to take time off to "deal with this now".

Seriously, WTF people. Its hard enough making the decision I made, so not very thankful for the peanut gallery!
I am trying to stay positive and blocking out all the judgy comments. I am hoping that will be easier when I can rock an "I told you so" body.

I think most of us have all been there. I surprised my hubby one day and said I am doing s WLS conference to start the process. It took him a bit to realize, but even through his adjustment he has been my rock. I ended up finally telling my close family and friends. Most was negative except for my one friend (she is becoming a nurse) if it wasn't for her I think I would of flip my sh&t on everyone.

My new boss and his wife when I told them she couldn't believe I had it done because I am the smaller of the bari people. And she says what the hell do I know. We talk about it openly at work and they cannot believe the difference. Plus I am a cheap lunch out at work since I usually just get a side salad. They have been super supportive. I heard everything under the sun. All the " it did not work" for this person and "it did not work for that person.". Well, guess what I am 6 months out and drop a 3 year old and a 7 year old. I put in a context that relates to people. So I am not carry around the weight of that age group any more. It's gone. I even said to my friend and she is mostly encouraging I told her all this negative talk just adds fuel to the fire that if you stick to the change it will work. Us bari people work harder than the people that don't have it. We don't have the choice to eat what we want and how much if you stick to it. I say screw them all. Be who you are. And when that weight drops and you in w bikini and they are in a tankini and shorts at the beach you can say what have you done to improve your healthy life... these negative nellies don't make my life go round I do. And you know what I have no health issues any more.

Same kind of experience here. I'be yo yo'd my whole life & with each yo I added to the pile. During&after menopause, my weight just kept growing. Medications added to the problem. Throughout it all family, friends, coworkers always just HAD to advise. The general idea is, JUST stop eating, push away.
I just am so thankful for this opportunity and to Bariatric surgeons for the innovations that allow us this safe option, for young and older ppl, like me.
Hope you have a successful journey, with a fast recovery. It's good to know there are others who support you, respect&honor the challenges before, during and after. This isn't the easy way out. It's a huge deal.

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using BariatricPal mobile app

...so today, I told my mother in law that I was having WLS and getting sleeved Friday (28-Jul). She told me to save myself the recovery and just stop eating french fries. Where was that helpful information all along?!?!?! LOL B)
In all seriousness, I am in the process of getting approved for time off after my surgery and the short term benefits manager at my company literally told me that if I utilized the work gym, I wouldn't have to take time off to "deal with this now".

Seriously, WTF people. Its hard enough making the decision I made, so not very thankful for the peanut gallery!
I am trying to stay positive and blocking out all the judgy comments. I am hoping that will be easier when I can rock an "I told you so" body.

Your benefits manager has diarrhea of the mouth maybe they should have more will power and keep that to themselves. WLS is a tool not a solution you will still need to rely on yourself to get to your goals but everyone can use a little help. Remember your not doing this for them your doing it for you. Your mother inlaw should feel lucky u even included her. YOU CAN DO THIS! Your mother inlaw can be on French fry patrol after surgery lol

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

I was just reading your post again (now that I'm fully awake lol) and what your benefits manager said to you was basically illegal. I worked in HR for quite a few years and you DO NOT even have to tell them what you are having surgery for and they HAVE to give you the time off as requested. That person should not be in that position and you should DEFINITELY file a complaint with that persons supervisor.

Anyways, I hope your surgery went well today!! My thoughts are with you today!!

I was told by a doctors m. a. that I "wasn't that big" and "have you tried dieting?" Are you kidding me??