Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Most absurd thing people said to you when you told them you were having WLS?

On 7/24/2017 at 10:25 PM, mytime4me said:

Your sister has the right plan, I got guilted into it by my husband because we have two small kids and she is going to "help" while I recover. I honestly have told 4 people in total and not sure when I'll be ready to share beyond that -if ever. The way I look at, people judge me bc I am fat, they'll judge me bc I had to loose so much weight in the first place, they'll judge me for being a mets fan...and the list goes on and on. Right now, I'm just worried about how I judge me- the rest will figure itself out :)

...oh and my MIL is un invited to thanksgiving hahaha

You're a Mets Fan? phff.

Thank you all for sharing these 'pearls of wisdom.' I thought I was the only one surrounded by idiots, but unfortunately I am not. This is no quick fix. This is not the easy way out. We are not undisciplined or just need to stop eating French fries. I know people may mean well, but sometimes, they really put their foots in their mouths. I really appreciate the honesty here. I'm new and well, it's good to see that I have people to relate to.

That was VERY unprofessional of your benefits manager. I would lodge a compliant with their boss.

As far as comments go, I have had no in supportive statements. But I do think if someone has the nerve to make a completely inappropriate comment they are to stupid to know the difference and you get to have the nerve to say whatever you want. Also surround yourself with loving supportive people. F the rest

respectfully my opinion.

3 hours ago, dcgoodson623 said:

I really appreciate the honesty here. I'm new and well, it's good to see that I have people to relate to.

I agree, its nice to know we aren't alone! Good luck on your journey :)

Someone said "how will you have a baby when you're older if they remove part of your stomach" I reminded her that babies don't actually grow in your stomach.. she's 25

Stop! Unbelievable! Did you tell her you'd be careful not to swallow any watermelon seeds?

...its worse than that, METS and JETS. I guess I just like to cry a lot

Pats fan! I'll be crying as soon as Brady and Belichick retire I'm sure!

People don't understand what it's like to actually be thinking and deciding to make this life changing decision. My father was nasty to me for months telling me how I just needed to diet and exercise. Mean while he was bringing junk food in the house everyday. My aunt told me stories about people dying and being so unhappy. How can we live off of 1/2 a cup of food per meal.... it's more like how can you live off excess food... you don't you get to where we have all been and then have health issues and depression. You are going to do amazing and don't let anyone make you second guess yourself or make you feel bad. Getting this surgery is the best thing I could have done and I just wish I had done it sooner. My dad told my mom the other day he is SO HAPPY I DIDN'T LISTEN TO HIM. My aunt is so happy with how well I am doing. My coworkers are starting to ask questions and I just shrug them off and say hard work... which it is and don't think it isn't. I can't wait to hear how well you do! Best of luck and remember walk walk walk... I can't say that enough.

HW: 303
SW: 277 5/3/17
CW: 239

I had the rny about little over 2 weeks ago. Prior to surgery i didnt tell anyone but my husband. But my family and friends are really nosey. Lol. So i ended up telling some family and fyi i come from a family of big women and men. Not surprisingly everyone was negative. " 1.Why would you do that you not that big. Lol. 2.your legs are skinny just your stomach is big. WTH... 3. You should go gym and dont eat out at resturants so much. " meanwhile i been in the gym for over a year i rarely eat out, nothing beats home cooked meals. Fast foward to this week. I finally got back to the big island after being on oahu for surgery for two weeks and since surgery i lost about 20 lbs. Everyone was shocked. No one said a dam thing about my so called FAT. Lol. Now some are even saying they might look into the surgery for themselves. Power to them, but for me i did this for my family because i wanted to be around for along time and be there for all my childrens graduations weddings children and anything important. I cant help them from the grave. So so far it has been a rough mental journey but i kept pushing ahead and now i feel it was so worth it. And id do it all over again. So im so proud of everyone of you for making this decision its not eazy and only the tough will consider and do it.
(Desiree from hawaii )

Sent from my SM-J700T using BariatricPal mobile app

The 'you're not that big' line kills me. Big enough to be overweight check! Big enough for heart disease check! Good grief

8 hours ago, Joann454 said:

be careful not to swallow any watermelon seeds

Oh man... (Ok, berry, shake it off.. you'll be ok. Just a harmless comment...*twitch* *twitch*) deep breath.. OOOmmmmmm

ok.. story time!

So, when I was about 5 or 7, my brothers told me to be careful swallowing watermelon seeds because they might grow in my belly.

I

literally

didn't

eat

watermelon

for

years.

And, when I DID start eating it again, I spent like 30 minutes picking the seeds out of one piece.

After all that? Now watermelon hurts my sleeve! LOL!

The 'you're not that big' line kills me. Big enough to be overweight check! Big enough for heart disease check! Good grief

I finally had the courage to talk to my new GP about WLS a week ago. That's the first thing that came outta his mouth. I didn't even respond. I just lifted my shirt and showed him how big my gut really was underneath those clothes. I then told him my BMI, he proceeded to weigh me because he didn't believe me, and finally agreed. He did try to sell me the idea of more dieting and prescribing me some weight loss pills though. Sheesh!

10 hours ago, erint93 said:

"how will you have a baby when you're older if they remove part of your stomach" I reminded her that babies don't actually grow in your stomach.. she's 25

O M G....I literally just can't even!!!!

19 hours ago, GotProlactinoma said:

Soon we won't recognize you!"

...I am not sure how I will take people's "compliments" either. I am still the same person, whether I am carrying 100, 50, or 10 "extra" pounds. I am still the same person who when you call - runs to help, when you need to vent - is here to listen and when you just want to laugh- I am right there with you. Does making me less fat make me less me? F*&K NO!

19 hours ago, Berry78 said:

It'll be really interesting if I again become invisible when I get to goal...

@berry78

...you will never be invisible if you don't want to be! Personally, I have made an art of becoming invisible to cope with my unhappy feelings about myself. I found that I used to eat to numb the unhappiness and try every which way to distract attention from myself in the hopes that people didnt notice how unhappy or heavy I was. Its still the same me as I am sure its the same you. 69 lbs is AMAZING. Y-O-U are doing that.

But you are right, I think as we add weight on society doesn't see us, friends don't really see us family even sometimes starts to pay less attention. We are still us...all the good, all the not so good...and less french fries :)