Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Old clothes? What did you do?

Like so many others on this thread, I purged my closet and donated a huge heaping pile of clothes. It was cathartic! I still feel great every time I look into my closet DON'T see all those clothes from before I started all this. (I did keep my hand-knit sweaters, though:D)

I now have a tricky time keeping up with my changing sizes and I think I am going to start shopping at consignment shops rather than retail sales. I feel like I am just borrowing clothes and giving them up again after a couple of months. Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with quickly changing sizes?

I think a clothing swap would be fun. I thought of organizing one at my work- I work at a ministry with over 1000 employees. Just fount the items you bring in and walk away with that many items. Donate any unswaped clothing to another local ministry.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 199 GW 135

I started out with a lower BMI for having the VSG, and lost weight at a slower pace than many others, so I kept my older clothes for the first year. I just added a belt to the jeans. When that was no longer feasible, I decluttered my closet, washed all the clothes since some had been hanging in my closet gathering dust, and bagged them up to donate. My friend's sister is mentally delayed and living in a group home for adults with similar condition to hers. I donated the clothes to her, and then she had a fabulous time giving them away to other women in her home. She said she felt like Santa. :)

I got rid of clothes as soon as they are too big and I still do. As soon as something is too large it is gone. There is no going back.

The only person I know that lost 200 pounds without surgery gave me this advice and some other advice and I have followed it.

I donated almost everything with the exception of my coats which I sold on Ebay because I had some really nice coats.

Keeping your fat clothes is just telling your subconscious it is okay to regain and be fat again because you have a fat clothes safety net.

Donate them to Goodwill stores or domestic violence center for the women, etc. I always donate my older size clothes to one of the charity organizations between every month to 3 months because I do really not stand to looking at my older size clothes. [emoji16][emoji1474]

I plan to give some away and sale some of the nicer things I have. In times past I gave everything away. My weigh has been Up & down for years. That is why I finally took the more drastic step of surgery. Out with the old clothes in with the new me.

I consign mine so I can buy more clothes as I shrink. I've gone from a 34/36 to a 22/24 in the past 10 months so it's getting real! Thank God for Salvation Army! I look for the most gently worn stuff so I CAN consign them. For me it's win-win.

I'm only a little less than a month out from surgery but have lost 43 pounds total (pre and post surgery).
My old clothes don't fit! Good problem and luckily I do have sizes below from before I gained all the weight.
I'm cleaning out my closet. I am scared to throw away my old, too big, clothes. I'll put them in a big box and store them, but why?
I don't think I will or want to gain weight back once this is all through, but what if??
what did you do? Donate clothes? Save them in a box, hopefully to never use again?
If you totally got rid of them, when did you do it?

I donate! Regaining isn't an option for me. And I don't want to toss out things other people can use.

First congratulations on your loss! This is going to get better and better in the months to come. I was afraid to throw out my old clothing but now I look for stuff to let go of and have been enjoying shopping for new items. I actually cried when I realized that NOTHING in the 'old go to plus size store' didn't fit me. NOTHING!!! Totally emotional over that break up. I was taking my clothing for a while cause I can sew but now, well I've embraced the shopper in me and amaze myself when I fit into a regular medium or large. My head is slowly catching up to my body. My eyes are adjusting too! So go shopping and buy a pairs of jeans to gwt u through this and a few tops and enjoy your accomplishment!!!!!!! YOU DESERVE IT! And donate your clothes! Bahhhbye old you[emoji111]

Sent from my LG-H631 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm only a little less than a month out from surgery but have lost 43 pounds total (pre and post surgery).
My old clothes don't fit! Good problem and luckily I do have sizes below from before I gained all the weight.
I'm cleaning out my closet. I am scared to throw away my old, too big, clothes. I'll put them in a big box and store them, but why?
I don't think I will or want to gain weight back once this is all through, but what if??
what did you do? Donate clothes? Save them in a box, hopefully to never use again?
If you totally got rid of them, when did you do it?

I am only 7 weeks post op. And at about 2 or 3 weeks i cleaned my cloth out and gave everything to a friend that i knew could use them. Post if not all my cloths where brand new if not like new. I still have cloths to throw out. My problem is being strapped for cash to buy new cloths. So i wear things with elastic waist band and drawstring so I can tighten as I continue to lose.

Sent from my LG-K373 using BariatricPal mobile app