Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just a side note, unless your trainer has specific expertise with Bariatric patients their advise is aimed at the general population. So just take it with a grain of salt.

I'm a runner and do intense vinyasa yoga and I am post menopause and I never added that much sugar that soon out and my metabolism was just fine. I liked that my body adapted to burning fat instead of the carbs. Just something to consider, not a judgement call.

Another couple of things... as long as you're meeting your Protein goals there's no "eating too little." I kept to 400-600 calories per day till way past six months out and lost at a great rate all while doing yoga and working up to running a 5K at five months post op and a half marathon at nine months. And for the gnawing empty feeling make sure you're on an acid reducer. That often can mimic hunger pains.

I have omeprazole but the doctor took me off of that. I’ll let him know that and see if he wants me to resume.

My trainer is recommended by my doctor and is very familiar with GS patients. He has 25 clients, all Bariatric surgical patients. BTW, watermelon gets a bad rap. It isn’t that high in sugar, calories or carbs. Besides, I can’t handle more than 1/4 cup.

My Protein intake appears to be the issue. I’m back on that horse big time and the shakes are going down smoothly, as long as I don’t smell them first lol.

5 hours ago, Callie60 said:

I can't stomach the shakes at all. I drink premium Clear Protein Drink from Sams and Protein20 from Amazon. Have you tried these? To me, they are 100 times better than shakes.< br />
Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

I haven't tried them. Do they have a taste??

Yeah. Atkins comes in berry, orange, and lemon. The lemon is my least favorite, but I like to mix grape Crystal light in. Then I love it. Premier only makes fruit punch (berry) that I know of. It us much cheaper. I get it at Sams. They kinsa taste like Koolaid or Gatoraid to me. If I get tired of the flavors, I just sat in some Crystal Light powder and change it up a little bit.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

10 hours ago, Berry78 said:

Your stomach is NOT healed at 5-6 weeks. It takes a full 6 months to actually be completely healed, but the scarring process is well underway at 8-9 weeks. Leaks are still possible until about 9 weeks postop, so you really have to be extra careful for the entire first 2 months.

1. Fluids: It sounds like you're probably getting in your 64oz. Good.

2. Protein: 4oz greek yogurt has about 12g Protein? 4oz meat has around 26g Protein. So you're only getting in about 38g protein for the day. That is nowhere near enough.

I'd recommend drinking something with protein. A Protein Shake, or 4 cups of regular milk, or 3 cups of fairlife milk, or 4 cups of bone broth, or a bottle of Lifeway protein kefir, etc. The drinks count toward your fluid goals (except maybe the extra-concentrated protein shakes).

Instead of filling up valuable real estate with oatmeal and watermelon, take Fiber supplements with your drinks.

By time you are 8 weeks postop, you will find you can eat more, and can move away from drinking your calories. Early on, it's necessary, unless you can get in 6 small meals that each have 12g of protein. (Which is almost impossible at 5 weeks postop, but you might set as a goal for the next few weeks).

my doctor and the nutritionist told me the staples are healed. I think I'll take their word for it, thanks.

I'm still very cautious about eating anything, because I'm worried about the healing process. I'm 6 weeks and was told that I am mostly healed, just to not overeat, chew chew chew and approach food in a less is more fashion. Never get full. I will continue that, simply because I'm a nervous person. LOL

I have omeprazole but the doctor took me off of that. I’ll let him know that and see if he wants me to resume.
My trainer is recommended by my doctor and is very familiar with GS patients. He has 25 clients, all Bariatric surgical patients. BTW, watermelon gets a bad rap. It isn’t that high in sugar, calories or carbs. Besides, I can’t handle more than 1/4 cup.
My Protein intake appears to be the issue. I’m back on that horse big time and the shakes are going down smoothly, as long as I don’t smell them first lol.

I'm glad you're figuring it out!

For me personally I had enough trouble fitting in my protein so anything else was just not ok the table or part of my plan. Not judging watermelon, just for myself any fruit didn't have a place. No protein, just all sugar. I eat plenty of it now in maintenance. I hope it does the things for your metabolism you are aiming for! I just never needed it.

Well your Dr lied to you. You'll find out what healed is at 6 months.

The world is full of quacks.

23 minutes ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Well your Dr lied to you. You'll find out what healed is at 6 months.

The world is full of quacks.

My doctor is one of the best in the country, that's a fact. While he said I am mostly healed, what he meant was for eating regular food, meaning meat, Protein, for the most part. Not the things that fill you up, those are still off limits. Rice, bread, crackers, etc. Still no carbonated sodas, nothing that will give me gas, fill me up, etc. No hard core workouts on my abdominals. All the things that all doctors say.

Every surgeon tells you that you need 6 months to fully heal, but that's a complete healing, basically when your body isn't tender, when you can no longer tell you have had surgery when the area is touched. Full recovery on the stomach itself is 6 weeks, meaning the sutures have healed, and the pouch is tightly sealed. I have a huge pamphlet from my doctor on recovery guidelines, along with pictures, a full video with graphics and images and a 100 page eating guide. All say that after 6 weeks, your stomach is healed. It's the surrounding tissue that still needs time to heal, will be tender to the touch and should be treated gently.

Ok, I did what research I could.. and the 6 weeks vs. 6 months argument actually has an interesting answer. You're both right.

How can that be, you say?

The body lays down an "emergency" layer of keratin in order to get things sealed up quickly. This takes about 6 weeks. Then, over the next 6 months to a year, it replaces this emergency layer with more permanent stuff.

So, yes, you're both right :) We'll just call it lucky that the body does the emergency layer first, or we'd be stuck on liquids for 6 months. This phenomenon might explain why the restriction feels different between 6 weeks and a year as well. The permanent tissue has a different texture.

Think about scars in the skin.. the skin first seals up, and has a lumpy, red or dark color. After a year, it changes (turns lighter, smoother, etc). That's what is happening on the inside.

27 minutes ago, Berry78 said:

Ok, I did what research I could.. and the 6 weeks vs. 6 months argument actually has an interesting answer. You're both right.

How can that be, you say?

The body lays down an "emergency" layer of keratin in order to get things sealed up quickly. This takes about 6 weeks. Then, over the next 6 months to a year, it replaces this emergency layer with more permanent stuff.

So, yes, you're both right :) We'll just call it lucky that the body does the emergency layer first, or we'd be stuck on liquids for 6 months. This phenomenon might explain why the restriction feels different between 6 weeks and a year as well. The permanent tissue has a different texture.

Think about scars in the skin.. the skin first seals up, and has a lumpy, red or dark color. After a year, it changes (turns lighter, smoother, etc). That's what is happening on the inside.

Can you imagine? 6 months of liquids? I WOULD PLOTZ.

On 7/22/2017 at 0:08 PM, DianeJarrett said:

I'm not really eating rice. Just tasting it when I cook. I've only actually eaten it once, when I reached 4 weeks. The doctor told me to Celebrate the return to real food. I had 4 pieces of sushi spread out over hours. (Doctor approved, I lived... but I won't do it again. It was terrible.)

I do track my food, but I know I'm not eating enough. I haven't been drinking enough Protein Shakes because they made me gag, the smell of the Protein shakes just set me off. This week, I started back. I'm going to go back on my liquid fast for a couple of days to get back in the swing of the shakes, and then try it all over again.

I just have to remind myself to eat. Or drink. And not get an empty stomach that aches.

Try drinking Protein Water instead of Protein Shakes. I hate protein shakes now...blah.

Protein 2O is pretty good and though it takes me all day to get one down, it's better than not having enough protein. I maybe eat 400 calories a day now. Maybe. I can't eat much because I get full really fast. I can't even eat a whole egg. My Dr. just said to wait till the 8 weeks are over when the swelling has gone down and I might have an appetite again.

The Premier Protein drink are another option, my liquid intake is not good so I use the as my regular liquids with the add on of the Protein. They don't taste bad but have an after taste I diluted with Water and add a pinch of crystal light to make it go away. I have the same problem with the shakes. My taste change since surgery and i can't even think of them. I've only found the fruit punch protein at Sam's club

39 minutes ago, shay70 said:

The Premier Protein drink are another option, my liquid intake is not good so I use the as my regular liquids with the add on of the Protein. They don't taste bad but have an after taste I diluted with Water and add a pinch of crystal light to make it go away. I have the same problem with the shakes. My taste change since surgery and i can't even think of them. I've only found the fruit punch Protein at Sam's club

I'm back on 2 a day of the shakes, the caramel, I have to hold my nose so I don't smell them but after a couple of days, I got used to them again. Between that, coffee in the morning, a Propel Water when I work out, and a Swell bottle full of water with Crystal light, I'm doing much better. Going to the bathroom a lot, which is good, because, for a while, I didn't go at all. (And I know, you have to pee to lose weight...) That is probably the bulk of my stall. Plus I get the 60g of protein and I have some chicken breast too, and a yogurt. I'm not weighing myself, going to give it a break, but I'm thinking I've kicked the stall's ass.