Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Nerves only thing stopping me

So I have done my research and decided I am okay with decision on having a sleeve done in Mexico. I contacted Dr. Illan team received approval the date I would like to have this done is currently open. My husband supports whatever I decide 100%. I have the finances but can't call and commit by submitting my down payment. I have wanted this for two years and now that nothing is stopping me I am stopping myself. Did anyone else struggle with making the commitment.

2 hours ago, BEllKAT said:

Did anyone else struggle with making the commitment.

Welcome. :)

Nope, I didn't struggle with committing to the surgery. Once I made up my mind to have surgery, I pursued the course and did everything possible to make it happen.

Prior to surgery I was a classic yo-yo dieter. I could lose large amounts of weight, but never kept if off for the long term. I had lost 200+ pounds over the years by losing 50, regaining 60, losing 60, regaining 90, and so forth. I was determined to avoid another miserable cycle of yo-yo loss/regain.

Good luck with whatever you decide. ;-)

I definitely struggled. I was petrified of complications and would convince myself I could do it without surgery. Then I'd change my mind. Right up until surgery I was a nervous wreck. But I did it and I'm so glad.
Good luck!

Welcome. [emoji4]
Nope, I didn't struggle with committing to the surgery. Once I made up my mind to have surgery, I pursued the course and did everything possible to make it happen.
Prior to surgery I was a classic yo-yo dieter. I could lose large amounts of weight, but never kept if off for the long term. I had lost 200+ pounds over the years by losing 50, regaining 60, losing 60, regaining 90, and so forth. I was determined to avoid another miserable cycle of yo-yo loss/regain.
Good luck with whatever you decide. ;-)

The yo yo part sounds just like me.

I definitely struggled. I was petrified of complications and would convince myself I could do it without surgery. Then I'd change my mind. Right up until surgery I was a nervous wreck. But I did it and I'm so glad.
Good luck!

This sounds crazy but I think my biggest fear with this is the fear of failure. That the surgery will not work for me. At of all the things to be concerned with I am concerned with that.

I'm 12 days post op from my Mexico surgery. My DR. Dr Haucuz was awesome. The nurses were great, didn't speak too much english but were patient with me and all the resident Dr's spoke fluently. The hospital was a bit dated, but cleaner than anything in Canada I've seen. Just didn't have all the bells and whistles you might see in Canada or the US. But that didn't bother me none.

The swallow test sucks. But I'm glad I have proof that the pouch is there and there isn't any leaks.

I was in and out in 3-4 days and back in my bed before I knew it. No regrets.

I'm loosing weight and feeling great.

If "fear of failure" is your biggest concern, then that's a relatively easy one.

You currently "didn't have the surgery". You are heavy enough to be thinking of getting it.. so it sounds like you are currently in a place of "failure". (I don't think you're one, but I suspect you do).

Once you get the surgery, there is almost no chance that you won't lose at least some weight over the first year postop. I don't think I've ever seen anyone get on the board and say they lost 5lbs and never lost another ounce. 40lbs, maybe.

So, I feel comfortable guaranteeing you will lose at least 40lbs over the first year. Even if this doesn't get you to goal, it will be better than where you stand right now, correct?

Ultimately, the weight loss right after the surgery is the easy part. You don't have to do much, and it kinda just falls off. After 6-8 months, you'll have to actually start working at it. BUT, by then, you have already lost some weight, so moving around won't be as hard, and you've already been practicing eating small quantities of (hopefully) healthy food. "Working at it" will kinda come naturally in a way that is hard to imagine now.

Choosing the surgery (for me) was my first step in becoming 'NOT a failure". I'm only 4 months postop, so we'll see how things go long term. But for now, I took that step to change the path I was on, and my new path IS leading me in the right direction.

The easiest way to know if you are one of the super-rare cases that doesn't lose weight postop.. if you were to go on a diet right now, and start working out at the gym, would you lose weight? If you would, (but would regain later), then join the rest of us, because that's how it works for the vast majority of us. If you have never been able to lose even 5 lbs on a restricted diet and exercise program, then you may want to have some additional tests to find out why not, because that would indicate that surgery may not do what you hope.

This sounds crazy but I think my biggest fear with this is the fear of failure. That the surgery will not work for me. At of all the things to be concerned with I am concerned with that.

One sure way to fail is not to try. I've no doubt you know this though! The surgery will help you succeed but make no mistake, it's up to you in the end. You will have to decide to make the changes and it's definitely not always easy.

I am terrified. I booked my surgery and am just living in this constant state of anxiety. Complications and the surgery risks are on my mind.

Totally normal to be scared. If you weren't the least bit nervous, I would think you didn't really understand what you signed up for.

Once you wake up and get through the first couple days, you should feel much more confident. In the meantime, spend time on here continuing to learn about postop life, and get your house and affairs in order so you can have a relaxing trip without worrying about whether you paid that bill or will come back to find you forgot that half drunk glass of milk by the radiator... (ok, that's just me, but you get the gist).

14 hours ago, Berry78 said:

Totally normal to be scared. If you weren't the least bit nervous, I would think you didn't really understand what you signed up for.

Once you wake up and get through the first couple days, you should feel much more confident. In the meantime, spend time on here continuing to learn about postop life, and get your house and affairs in order so you can have a relaxing trip without worrying about whether you paid that bill or will come back to find you forgot that half drunk glass of milk by the radiator... (ok, that's just me, but you get the gist).

Thanks for your response. That is very true what you said about not understanding if you weren't feeling nervous.