Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve - BMI 31

I agree with your thinking, I strongly suggest doing it now. I would love if my only uphill was 50 lbs. instead of 120 lbs.

SW:305
CW:219

Sleeved 01.30.17

Ok, so I did a little research, and came up with an article that shows surgery is as safe and effective for class 1 obesity as the other classes.

https://asmbs.org/resources/bariatric-surgery-in-class-i-obesity

So it sounds like the surgery doesn't pose any more risk to a person with a lower bmi, but there still remains the same risk as always. If it's worth it to you, then I wish you all the best.

I can't believe insurance would approve gastric sleeve for such a low BMI. I have to say. Definitely try it on your own. It isn't worth the risk in your case. I was sleeved on 6/29 and up until today, I was really regretting it. This first month was rough!!!!
SW 237 CW218

I was sleeved in Tijuana at BMI 30. Six months later I'm super happy with my decision. The whole process has gone well. I needed help with Portion Control. The most important thing is to eat healthy before, during after. Don't do it if you think it will cure you. You will likely still struggle sometimes with food issues, you may need counseling (I did). Daily exercise, healthy lean Protein, vegetables, fruit, some whole grains. Very limited indulgences, and only on days I feel very positive and grounded in my goals. Lower BMI isn't a reason to shy away. Just know it is still work, and loss may be slower. In six months I've averaged 10 pounds lost per month, with larger losses in early months and tapering off now I'm nearly to goal and working on getting maintenance level calories.

JKC2016....how was your recoverey period? Did you have alot of nausea afterward? How painful were the first few days? I think my biggest fear is the amount of pain and having to deal with nausea.

I had a low BMI prior to WLS. I went to TJ and had a wonderful experience there. Due to my pre-existing GERD, VSG was not recommended; instead, I had a Mini Gastric Bypass. My recovery has gone very well and I'm getting close to my goal weight. I did not have nausea after surgery, which I attribute to the fact that I don't normally have that problem when undergoing general anesthesia. I needed help with portion sizes and this surgery has been very effective with it. As well, many of my previous health issues have abated (e.g. GERD, sleep apnea, joint pain, Migraines, high cholesterol).

Good luck!

I too have been concerned about having a lower BMI and losing weight. My BMI is 35 and I have Diabetes, GERD, Arthritis, sleep Apnea and high cholesterol. I gained 80 in less than a year due to being on a steroid for my Arthritis and haven't been able to lose the weight. I also went through menopause which didn't help. I have my surgery on the 24th and pray that this tool helps me to lose the weight so I can have my life back. I do feel though that when your BMI is lower you get looked at differently like it is for cosmetic reasons and not health. That's so frustrating

I am 62 and had a lower BMI of 35 w/ sleep apnea, arthritis, Gerd, post menopausal & asthma. I had my surgery on 7/10. Today is my 1 month anniversary!! I have lost 27 lbs so far. I am not suffering from my arthritis pain, my sleep apnea has improved, I haven't used my asthma meds since the surgery. I am gaining energy and have started walking again slowly but with No pain! My joints aren't killing me now. My inflammation in my body has gone down. This was not for cosmetic reasons this was because I wanted to live longer, be active and have a better quality of life! Do not let anyone judge you for your reasons to have this surgery just do it! My life has improved in the last month alone. I feel good!!!

Hi mem1!
I too am 62 my BMI is 39 but due to being diabetic I decided to go ahead & have the gastric sleeve. My surgery is Aug. 16th ( just 6 day to go). When I first started this I was taking 2 classes with Kaiser, the Healthy Balance & the Options class for Bariactric Surgery.
These classes helped a lot to finally lose weight without dieting. When I started back in February 2017 I weighed 220. So when I got down to 211 thought " well shoot! If I can loose this much weight by simply changing my eating habits to a more healthy way without dieting why have the surgery?" I felt I could do it on my own! Well my weight started doing the Yo-Yo thing just as before. And when I spoke to my Bariactric Dr. ( not the surgeon) he gave me a very easy to understand illustration on how by not getting the surgery while I still can, age wise, that my diabetes symptoms will only get worse the longer I have it & that the surgery will make it go into remission! So its for those health reasons I decided to go ahead with the surgery. Even though my current weight is now at 208, im afraid of it yo-yoing again![emoji38]

Sent from my SM-T530NU using BariatricPal mobile app

You are going the right thing for your health! I was able to lose weight unfortunately I too had a yo yo existence and it was horrible every time I made progress I would gain back twice as much as I loss and as I am getting older it is getting harder & harder to bounce back.

You go girl and get yourself healthier. I plan to be around for a very long time☘️☘️☘️🌻

When I first started looking into WLS I was at 35.2 BMI. On the day of surgery I was 31.6 and weighed 208. I went to Tijuana because even though I have type 2 diabetes my insurance would not cover the surgery unless my BMI was over 35.

I wanted the metabolism reset and a good chance at putting my diabetes into remission. I also have hypothyroidism so losing weight is hard and slow for me. I am very happy I had the surgery. The risk was worth it to me. I am only about 23 pounds from my goal at almost 3 months post-op. I say as long as you are well informed of the risks and are aware of what it takes to be successful go for it.

Good Luck.

My first consult Bmi was 35.6. I tried the insurance route, with no luck. So I shopped around for a new surgeon and by the time I finally had surgery, my bmi was 32.9.

I didn't have to do a preop diet, but chose to do one anyways.

My main motivations were to get rid of high BP, cholesterol and hope for a smaller belly (currently 44 inches), and to feel less self confident around my hubby. I was not a healthy fat person and didn't want to end up like my dad and need a quintuple bypass and valve replacement

So far it has been good. Surgery yesterday, managed to get down my entire tray and have walked 59 laps so far.

I think it's a great tool, and I'm did it to help me do something I haven't been able to do on my own.

Sent from my XT1254 using BariatricPal mobile app

Very little pain, I was up and walking lots the next day. I'm 7 months out and have only thrown up 3 times. Once right after, and 2 times with the foamies after eating too quickly. Recovery was really smooth, nothing scary. I'm 7 pounds from goal weight now. Right in the center of healthy BMI. Things to know, I still struggle with food cravings and emotional eating at times. The cool thing is, I don't let that derail me, I get back to healthy choices right away. Used to me I'd binge eat for days. Whatever you hear, it is still possible to binge after surgery (not in the first few months, but six months out absolutely.) Most of us still struggle with food demons. Sticking with whole foods and away from sweets helps tremendously. I weigh daily to keep me honest with myself and watch trends. I have an Aria scale that syncs with my Fitbit and Myfitnesspal.

I just responded and I don't see my post. The basics were--easy recovery, very limited nausea and pain. If you go forward, likely you will be up and active quickly. We are all different, no guarantees. Best of wishes!