Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve - BMI 31

JKC2016

I received did receive your response. I'm hoping my experience will be as good as yours. I'm getting nervous. 5 days till surgery :-0

I lost 50 pds in two months, how are you sure your weight loss will stop? This may sound silly, but could there be a chance you'll lose too much weight?

heycrystal2052

I'm not afraid to lose too much weight because that will never happen. I love food too much. Not losing the weight at all is what scares me the most.

On 7/25/2017 at 9:16 PM, maimee said:

I am in a very similar situation, BMI of 32 and I'm going to get sleeved on 9/2. I need this tool. I've never been successful on my own. I want to be healthy. I want to reset my relationship with food. I'm ready (but scared, as with all major surgeries). Maybe more so because I'm going to Tijuana to have it done.

Hello,

I saw your post and I am also going to Tijuana for sleeve surgery. My BMI is at a 34 and I'm pretty scared too. I wondered where are you going to have yours done? Thanks for your time.

I am 62 and had a lower BMI of 35 w/ sleep apnea, arthritis, Gerd, post menopausal & asthma. I had my surgery on 7/10. Today is my 1 month anniversary!! I have lost 27 lbs so far. I am not suffering from my arthritis pain, my sleep apnea has improved, I haven't used my asthma meds since the surgery. I am gaining energy and have started walking again slowly but with No pain! My joints aren't killing me now. My inflammation in my body has gone down. This was not for cosmetic reasons this was because I wanted to live longer, be active and have a better quality of life! Do not let anyone judge you for your reasons to have this surgery just do it! My life has improved in the last month alone. I feel good!!!

Thank you for that input...i too am now at 35.1bmi FROM 39.6.bmi. Going from 201 to 176 pre op! Im 4'11 inches tall. And due to 3 spine surgeries, right shoulder Arthroscopic surgery. Gallbladder surgery and heel spur surgery a Spinal fusion and spinal implantation, I had gained the weight from steroids and other meds and not being able to do effective exercise...inwhich I'm limited to doing. And if I continue on that path will have to do hip replacements due to degenerative cartilage. My sleeve date is this coming Monday and I get happier each day it nears because I know that getting back down to my ideal weight will free me from the daily chronic pain I endure and I can finally start to live a healthy quality of life again. So my reason for this decision is for medical reasons not for cosmetic purposes and refuse to allow anyone to dictate or make me feel any way about my decision.....after all I have to live in this body, not them!!!!!

mybariatricjourney

You might find that with so little weight to lose, you become a lot skinnier than you want to be. I had over 150 pounds to lose and I am having trouble eating enough even 2 years out. Some people who have the surgery with less then 80 pounds to lose find themselves in a struggle not to starve! LOL

My BMI was 36 and I weighed 212 at surgery time. I weigh about 151 right now. I am one year and one week out . It's been very successful to me. I am not that interested in food which is pretty magical. People told me - well you only have 50-70 pounds to lose you can do it- and I tried- for almost 30 years ( I am 40) - and it didn't work. I am very happy I did it .

I have about 1200 calories a day and work out at least four times a week.

Had my surgery yesterday at 7:30am. I woke up from surgery in some pain and asked for several doses of pain meds, but within the hour I was very comfortable and in little to no pain. My Dr also removed my gallbladder and repaired a hernia, so I have 6 incisions. I have a pain in my shoulder which I was told is normal and due to the CO2 they use to inflate your belly. I feel a little blotted but no gas pains and just a bit of burping. I was released from the hospital about 5pm that same day. I've only taken Tylenol since I've been home. Woke up this morning with no pain. My Dr administered something called Exparel in my woulds which is a long term pain blocker and I think this might be why I dont have any pain. I've had no nausea and have not taken any of the prescribed promethazine. I drank just Water the day of surgery. I woke up this morn and had 1/4 cup of chick broth cuz the Dr said have warm liquids in the morning to break up the flem. So far, the first 24-hrs have been very easy.

On 20/08/2017 at 8:35 PM, JupiterinVirgo said:

You might find that with so little weight to lose, you become a lot skinnier than you want to be. I had over 150 pounds to lose and I am having trouble eating enough even 2 years out. Some people who have the surgery with less then 80 pounds to lose find themselves in a struggle not to starve! LOL

How exciting lol i have 80lbs left to lose 6 weeks in, I doubt I will ever struggle not to starve haha

Need help pls. My bmi is 31 and am considering doing Vertical Sleeve surgery. Could any one recommend doctor in NYC that could facilitate through insurance ?

My BMI was about 39 with co-morbidities when I started my journey. After a 6 month insurance required supervised period, my BMI was about 33 at the time of surgery. I have been maintaining at a 20 BMI for 17 months now. It is the first time in my life that I've ever maintained for more than a day and the lowest I have ever weighed as an adult.

I guarantee I would not be at this point if I continued to try to do it on my own. I must have been on 15 diets over my lifetime, some of them getting me to goal (for a day maybe).