Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a VGS in January 2017. I had very curly for all my life and I'm 61.... My question is that my hair is on the straighter side since the surgery. Has anyone gone from curly to straight after a VGS???

I've been a hairstylist for over 25 years and have had many clients get weight loss surgeries and I NEVER heard of this!' CRAZY but at least you have kept your hair! Also have you changed what your putting on your hair like not bleaching or highlighting ?

Mine was always curly, but became curlier :) Not a gigantic difference, just a matter of degree. Craziness what surgery can do...

Thank you. Leave it to me to be the different one. 🤣

Hormones can change your hair. Even if you are post menopausal, your body gets flood with hormones from burning fat. I have a lot of curly/wavy friends that get straight hair after having babies.

Certain Vitamins can also loosen the curl pattern for some people.

Mine isn't nearly as curly as it was!! I don't know if that's a function of the Protein issue or Vitamins (all my blood work numbers are fine) but it IS different now.

One other thing I forgot to mention is DIET!! In a high Protein DIET, which we all should be on, our hair will feel different and react differently then it did when we were eating Carbs. A perfect example is a horses maine. When a horse's maine starts to look dull and lifeless, the horses owner will usually add more protein to their diet. Its also important to have the good fatts added as well, which also help with shine and manageability. Most people after ANY type of surgery or stress will lose a large amount of hair at about the 3 month post surgery or stressful event date. I have also noticed when people are on antihistamines or are Hypothyroid, their hair has a different texture and seems dry, brittle and wiry . Now after CHEMO, hair that is lost, will come back sometimes in the original color it once was in our late teens and will come back curly to people who had naturally straight hair. Its Natures way of rejuvenating mechanically after CHEMO has killed off all of the hair follicle cells and jump started them once again. Everyone who reads this post PLEASE TAKE ALL YOUR Vitamins ,especially he B's, for the rest of your life and you will have the best head of hair possible. If anyone has any hair questions please feel free to contact me as I would be more than happy to answer them all! Also for anyone loosing hair, massage your scalp while shampooing,and by doing so make sure your scalp skin is moving and your eyebrows are moving this is a way to make sure you are massaging and stimulating the follicles properly. You can also use either Nioxin or Bosely programs. I usually suggest this to anyone a month before any surgery/Chemo and to keep going all the way through until you are all cleared by your doctor either at Goal stabilized weight or 2 years after any Chemo or radiation treatments. Hope this helps!

My hair was mostly straight before and now, after surgery, it's curly. My hair stylist says she's seen this with another wls client. The color didn't change.

One other thing I forgot to mention is DIET!! In a high Protein DIET, which we all should be on, our hair will feel different and react differently then it did when we were eating Carbs. A perfect example is a horses maine. When a horse's maine starts to look dull and lifeless, the horses owner will usually add more protein to their diet. Its also important to have the good fatts added as well, which also help with shine and manageability. Most people after ANY type of surgery or stress will lose a large amount of hair at about the 3 month post surgery or stressful event date. I have also noticed when people are on antihistamines or are Hypothyroid, their hair has a different texture and seems dry, brittle and wiry . Now after CHEMO, hair that is lost, will come back sometimes in the original color it once was in our late teens and will come back curly to people who had naturally straight hair. Its Natures way of rejuvenating mechanically after CHEMO has killed off all of the hair follicle cells and jump started them once again. Everyone who reads this post PLEASE TAKE ALL YOUR Vitamins ,especially he B's, for the rest of your life and you will have the best head of hair possible. If anyone has any hair questions please feel free to contact me as I would be more than happy to answer them all! Also for anyone loosing hair, massage your scalp while shampooing,and by doing so make sure your scalp skin is moving and your eyebrows are moving this is a way to make sure you are massaging and stimulating the follicles properly. You can also use either Nioxin or Bosely programs. I usually suggest this to anyone a month before any surgery/Chemo and to keep going all the way through until you are all cleared by your doctor either at Goal stabilized weight or 2 years after any Chemo or radiation treatments. Hope this helps!

My hair is thinning dull and breaking badly I am 7 months out I get more than enough protein actually I was told yo cut back to 90 grams a day I take all my vitamins the good kind from Unjury. Help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

When the pets have dull coats, first you look for worms, (which I'll assume isn't the problem here ;) ) then we look at adding oil. But hard to guess based on what you've told so far... there are plenty of other nutrients that may be lacking other than Protein and vitamins...

I too had surgery Jan 2017 and have naturally curly hair. I lost some hair in spots and it's definitely thinner but still have the girl. I also am going through menopause. But I started taken sugarbear Vitamins. A few people I know take them too and their hair grew back so full.

My hair is thinning dull and breaking badly I am 7 months out I get more than enough Protein actually I was told yo cut back to 90 grams a day I take all my Vitamins the good kind from Unjury. Help

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BariatricPal mobile app

Did you mention to your Dr or nutritionist?

Besides shedding, my hair texture is more dry and brittle. It dawned on me today that I stopped taking my daily fish oil after surgery. That definitely feels like the culprit regarding the dry texture!