Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What exactly is the preop diet?

My date is August 22 (trying to get a week earlier if possible). I've seen some people say they started earlier than two weeks for their liver shrinkage diet. What does it actually consist of? I haven't met with the nutritionist or had the one required class yet. Those appointments are in early August. I have an aversion to powdered shake type stuff so I want to know if it's possible to get premixed shakes. I would at least like to test different flavors.

My surgeon requires 2 weeks of Protein Shakes as Meal Replacements and getting in 64 oz. of Water each day (can supplement with calorie-free, sugar-free, non-carbonated drinks). Yes, the Protein shakes can be pre-mixed. They gave me a list of approved shakes. They are: Unjury, Oh Yeah!, Premiere Protein, Pure Protein, Chime, EAS 100% whey isolate, Isopure and nectar. They also say I can get my own shakes or Protein Powder, as long as they meet these requirements: whey protein as 1st ingredient, They told me everything has to be the consistency of milk or thinner. No chunks or pieces of anything. Soups are ok but must be pureed or strained.
Also these guidelines:
Screenshot_20170716-073527.jpg

Hope this helps!!

Premixed shakes are O.K. provided they are high in Protein (around 20 grams) and low in sugar (around 0 grams) Two points to make are that 1) Your taste buds may change dramatically after surgery so what you find tasty today may be awful after surgery. 2) Some experience lactose intolerance for a few months after surgery, so products containing lactose can be a problem.

Sorry - I figured out what it is. If I use a greater than" or "less than" symbol, it cuts off the message. So here goes, one more time!

Protein powder requirements:
Whey Protein isolate as 1st ingredient
No more than 220 cal per serving
No more than 5g sugar per serving
20-30g of protein per serving

Powders should be mixed with 8 oz.: Water, skim milk (Fairlife brand preferred), or unsweetened soy, almond or coconut milk.

I start mine on Tuesday (two weeks), but I have Protein shakes/fruits/veggies for two weeks. It's always surprising to see the differences between everyone like what they can and can't have....or how long they do it for! I'll be using Syntrax Nectar -- which I've used during the past 6 months...after a bunch of testing, found something I liked. Hopefully, I'll like it after!

I agree - it really is interesting (and a bit mind-boggling) to see all the different pre-op diets for the same surgery! Especially when some can eat food up until the day before surgery (the diet where they have 2 Protein Shakes as meal replacements and 1 low-fat, low-carb, high-protein meal per day).
Glad the hear you like the nectar shakes - I'll try those. I've been looking for recommendations, as I haven't tried any of them. Wish there was a post on here about them (I haven't found it if there is one).

I used a site...maybe two - i think Vita Lady or something, and another...they sell samples where you can pick and choose individual Protein packs to try. I think nectar you can get a sample pack from them ($) and BP here might hvae them too, think i looked on Amazon, too. Anyway, doing that was helpful. Also, my doctor's ofc gave me like three different things to try, and I hit GNC/Vita.Shoppe and picked up samples early on. I had 6 months, so I figured it would keep me in the right mindset and give me something to proactively do. It was fun to try new things. Thank goodness for sample sizes!

It varies from surgeon to surgeon. Mine requires 'the milk diet'. I have to be on it for 3 weeks. (Currently on Day 10!) And it is what it sounds like; skim milk up to 20 oz. 3x a day, plus at least 50oz of Water or other non caloric, non carbonated drinks.

Your answer comes from your surgeon. I was surprised to find out no earlier than the preop dietary class/group that we only needed to follow 1 day of Clear Liquids after 1 day of full liquids and 5 days of a liver shrinkage diet before that.

Everyone will have a different diet. Every doctor, e every surgeon, every nutritionist and every patient has different requirements and needs. I would just call and tell them what you are wanting to do. I'm sure they can give you a plan early.

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

My date is August 22 (trying to get a week earlier if possible). I've seen some people say they started earlier than two weeks for their liver shrinkage diet. What does it actually consist of? I haven't met with the nutritionist or had the one required class yet. Those appointments are in early August. I have an aversion to powdered shake type stuff so I want to know if it's possible to get premixed shakes. I would at least like to test different flavors.

Try premium Protein premixed shakes they have 30g of protein and only 160 cal. You c can get them at costco or Wal-Mart

Sent from my LG-LS997 using BariatricPal mobile app

1500290578499.jpeg

Sent from my LG-LS997 using BariatricPal mobile app