Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For Whom the bell Tolls

Howdy all! Ive been lurking around this group for awhile (finally decided to make an account) and Im 2 days away from being sleeved. Im 21 and Im a biggun😂. first doctors visit was 545, lost 20+ pounds in just two weeks following my preop diet. Im just looking to hear some tips and tricks for success. Im not nervous and I feel like its a welcome change. (Really looking forward to seeing my body change, especially where it counts fellas amIRight? *nudge nudge*😂)

Since you are at the beginning of this process, I would recommend three things.

1. Take a good before photograph of yourself, so that you have something to compare to after surgery. Many times we are blind to our obesity. We do not see ourselves. Therefore when the weight begins to drop off rather dramatically, we question if this is really happening. Photographs are a good visualization of our success. Many people carry a before and after photo with them, just to remind themselves of their success.
2. Walk 30 minutes each day, every day until surgery (or equivalent exercise). Walking helps the recovery process go smoothly and minimized the pain levels from surgery.
3. Wean yourself from caffeine and carbonated beverages now. After I gave up my 6 diet coke a day habit, I suffered from a week of severe withdrawal syndrome consisting of severe headaches and body aches. I was miserable. You don't want to combine the effects of caffeine withdrawal with the effects of surgery.

I will add to this by saying take some measurements every month. It is also a good idea to find an app that will help you track your Protein. My Fitness Pal tracks everything. Good luck on your journey!

Check out my blog below to see most of my tips and tricks etc it's light reading and I think it helps, ask all the questions you can .

5 hours ago, Ldyvenus said:

I will add to this by saying take some measurements every month.

Pun intended?

Anyways, I wonder if I was the only one who came into this thread expecting some Metallica reference.

Edited by PatientEleventyBillion

Congrats on the 20lbs! The preop diet is usually the worst ;)

Don't load up on extra Protein Shakes for postop, since your tastes will change, and you won't know what you'll like. Have just one or two each of assorted kinds. Do have plenty of choices for the Clear Liquids too. Look up a recipe for homemade broth, make a bunch, and freeze it in 8oz quantities (or ice cube trays. You can pop the frozen cubes into a gallon size ziplock bag, and then serve out how much you want.)

I LOVE homemade broth, but didn't have the energy to really make much of it postop, so if I'd had it premade and frozen, I would have consumed more of it.

11 hours ago, Stevehud said:

Check out my blog below to see most of my tips and tricks etc

@Stevehud

i've watched you grow "up" from 408 "down" to

your present weight of 168. GOAL

i read and enjoyed your blog!! come

back here more often. newbies especially

would be helped by your words.:rolleyes:

btw - we both were sleeved on 12/15!!!

you in 2014 , me in 2011 GOAL since 2012

catch me if you can!! continued success !!

You deserve it!!

kathy

congrats

16 hours ago, BigTex said:

looking to hear some tips and tricks for success.

@BigTex

hi Tex

WELCOME WELCOME WELCOME and WELCOME!!!!

listen to all the comments from OP, suggestions, and

experiences. at the end of the day - listen ONLY your doc/NUT

(and me too of course:lol:) you'll learn the important water

rules you must follow - you must eat Protein (lots of

it) always watch your carb intake - there is a

great place to enter your food on the board.

MFP (my fitness Plan)this will show how much

protein, carbs, veggies and calories you are taking in.

NEVER compare yourself to anyone (people have been shot for less!!)

ie don't compare your weight to others, how long/short it took them to

lose weight - you are starting your new life in sleeveland

from being a newbie/"middle be"/ to GOALEE!!

then you are done with your story, right ???

wrong - your journey will continue and continue

throughout you healtier, happier, longer, life - they call it...................

MAINTENANCE!!!

you'll do great!! I know it, i can feel it my bones:rolleyes:

good luck

kathy

I agree with the previous posts and wanted to add something I wish I had done. Take some video of yourself. Full body. Maybe turning around and talking to your future self. I did photos, measurements and pictures along the way, but wish I had that first video. I do keep a journal at the suggestion of my program nurse. I started it when I started the program (6 months before surgery). I do go back and read it and I add to it every few weeks with my new measurements/weight. It helps to keep your head in the game and focused and to see how far you've come.

I also recommend if you can get a nutritionist who specializes in Bariatric patients. I have one and at 15 months out, I absolutely need her as much as I did in the beginning. The sleeve is only a tool. It is one piece of the puzzle. Your journey WILL be a head game also. You are taking drastic measures. Don't be afraid to seek additional help if you start to struggle. This is a long term process and you will need many other tools to make and keep yourself successful. Welcome aboard, we all wish you the success you seek. Keep us posted :)

Good luck to you. You can indeed do this. I went from being at my highest weight 3lbs away form 600lbs to between 250-260lbs give or take. I was able to get down to about around 535lbs when I decieded that having surgery to help me lose the weight was my most logical option. When I had my surgery I was on the pre-op diet for 14 days and went down to about 464lbs the day of my surgery from 535lbs. Its crazy how cutting out a damn near 15K calories a day diet to less than 700 calories a day can force one's body to burn excessive weight. I think most of the information that was shared here is valid and you take from it what you can. I would strongly suggest following whatever plan you surgeon has in place for you to follow first and foremost. They are the ones that have screened you for this procedure and will arm you with the tools you will need to be as successful as you want to be. Not all surgeon believe in following the same thing, so when in doubt ask them questions. Because if they are too busy or annoyed to answer you, then they sure as heck don't need to be cutting on you.

I would start off by saying that you need to begin weening yourself off of things like soda/sugary drinks, and carbs (pasta/breads/starches) now while you can since you have some time before the pre-op stage. Don't go too crazy on buying a bunch of the Protein Shakes and mixes before the surgery because, as someone else said here, your taste buds will indeed change after the surgery. You may find yourself disgusted with things you use to enjoy before, so stick to some of the basics. I used/lived off of Isopure unflavored whey Protein during my post op recovery phase to try and get my protein grams in. it helps because I found the flavored protein to be too sweet tasting, even the low sugar/no sugar versions. Water is key and make sure that you are getting in fluids. In fact probably the first 60 days will be you focusing on getting in enough water and protein as you can.

Get with a nutritionist who specializes in Bariatric patients to help with meeting your nutritional needs post surgery. More than likely your surgeon should have already set you up with someone to help your plan out your dietary needs post surgery and beyond. And the one thing I will add is this. Be very patient with yourself and your body. You will be introducing some intense trama to your body and it will need time to heal. For some that can be as small as a few weeks, for others that can take a few months up to a year or more.