Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Best protein shakes and why

10 hours ago, OutsideMatchInside said:

Caffeine and coffee do not dehydrate. The only reason to avoid coffee post-op really is the acid.

Anyway, I forgot about Syntrax. It has been a long time since I had a Protein shake.

I think Syntrax are the best immediately post-op. They are thin like Water, mix super easy and you can sip on them all day like Water. There are a lot of flavors. I like the Cappuccino lemonade and caribbean cooler.

Not correct about caffeine. Caffeine can casue dehydration. I never said coffee did. Caffeine causes increased urine output, which can increase the risk for dehydration, particularly during rapid weight loss. It also interferes with absorbing nutrients after bariatric surgery. It also may cause nausea, GI distress, Dyspepsia, and an increase in gastric acud secretion.

Edited by SleeveDreamer

12 hours ago, jess9395 said:

The science doesn't actually support the thought that caffeine is dehydrating:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.livescience.com/55479-does-caffeine-cause-dehydration.html

It can cause dehydration. I am not saying it definitely does. Read my post on the next page. This is what came up when I googled it. I have seen a couple different post op diets for WLS and both say best to avoid caffeine for the first year.

I like Syntrax. I did a lot of the fuzzy navel. It tastes like orange juice to me. Also did a lot of chocolate truffle. I still do them here and there, but I add chia seeds, and coffee extract (chameleon) and ice and make a chocolate coffee smoothie. Sometimes I use Fairlife Milk also for the chocolate truffle. The fuzzy navel is nice because sometimes I want more of a fruity Protein Drink rather than a milky type drink. Amazon sells them. I also use Vega Protein mixed w/frozen berries, ice and chia seeds. Sometimes I'll add a banana or touch of honey. I don't know if the Vega protein is acceptable for early on, but I like the berry flavor.

Not correct about caffeine. Caffeine can casue dehydration. I never said coffee did. Caffeine causes increased urine output, which can increase the risk for dehydration, particularly during rapid weight loss. It also interferes with absorbing nutrients after bariatric surgery. It also may cause nausea, GI distress, Dyspepsia, and an increase in gastric acud secretion.

A scientific review of the literature actually shows it is NOT a diuretic and does not actually increase urine output except in very large doses (3-4 cups of coffee) in someone who has been deprived of caffeine... and even then it's a very small increase and not consistent---

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19774754/

Do you have scientific evidence of your other claims about caffeine?

It can cause dehydration. I am not saying it definitely does. Read my post on the next page. This is what came up when I googled it. I have seen a couple different post op diets for WLS and both say best to avoid caffeine for the first year.

See my post above, nope it's not a diuretic.

Says science

This is the only type I could tolerate. Yes, it has a ton of carbs compared to regular Protein Shakes, but during the first 8 weeks postop, your body needs carbs for healing. At 4 months postop, I don't drink them anymore, unless I need something for a road trip (grab and go).
http://lifewaykefir.com/products/vanilla-protein-kefir/
kefir.jpg.64b26bccf010821266ad3ac5d19f03b9.jpg

How many low carb ones did you try before determining it was the only one you could tolerate?

Just asking because I literally had to try around 20 different shakes between 6-7 brands and different flavors within brands.

Everyone has different ones they prefer/tolerate.

And when you say "tolerate" to me that means they upset your stomach or you cannot keep them down, is that what you mean?

For me it took me that many to find ones that appealed enough to me to keep drinking, but only one or two literally made me sick.

Yup there are post op diets that say all kinds of things and I completely believe you should go with what your surgeon says, you trusted them to cut you open you should trust their diet for sure! They are experts in what they have seen work well!

My doctor says caffeine and coffee are fine and I trust my doc.

Lost all my excess weight and more in a year. Have now kept it off for three. Drinking plenty of coffee and caffeine. I am a runner and need plenty of hydration. Never had a problem.

Not saying go against what your doc says, but also saying if your doc says go for it, GO FOR IT and don't trust some diet on the internet more than SCIENCE.

19 minutes ago, jess9395 said:

A scientific review of the literature actually shows it is NOT a diuretic and does not actually increase urine output except in very large doses (3-4 cups of coffee) in someone who has been deprived of caffeine... and even then it's a very small increase and not consistent---

Do you have scientific evidence of your other claims about caffeine?

No I don't have scientific claims. Just what my NUT and doctor say and what it says on internet. If you want to have it, have it! My diet and doctor say not to so I am not!

I have never really had a lot caffeine in my diet anyway. I always drink Decaf beverages so I really don't miss it.

1 hour ago, jess9395 said:

How many low carb ones did you try before determining it was the only one you could tolerate?

And when you say "tolerate" to me that means they upset your stomach or you cannot keep them down, is that what you mean?

By "tolerate", I actually didn't mean physically sick.. just a taste revolt.

I tried only about 5 different brands of the low carb ones. So is there one that I could possibly take and be happy about it? Sure.. probably. But I wasn't willing to go through the time and expense to figure it out. I already had to throw out $70 worth of ones I couldn't use.

So, yes.. I was drinking 40g of carbs with 40g of Protein. My carbs during weeks 2-4 were between 60g and 90g per day... which may seem high compared to many post op peeps.. but I don't mind. I lost 17lbs the first month, which was good enough for me.. and more importantly, I didn't lose my MIND! lol!

We have the 3 week stall.. we should have the "6 week psycho".. and I think it's cuz people try TOO hard, too early out.

By "tolerate", I actually didn't mean physically sick.. just a taste revolt.
I tried only about 5 different brands of the low carb ones. So is there one that I could possibly take and be happy about it? Sure.. probably. But I wasn't willing to go through the time and expense to figure it out. I already had to throw out $70 worth of ones I couldn't use.
So, yes.. I was drinking 40g of carbs with 40g of Protein. My carbs during weeks 2-4 were between 60g and 90g per day... which may seem high compared to many post op peeps.. but I don't mind. I lost 17lbs the first month, which was good enough for me.. and more importantly, I didn't lose my MIND! lol!
We have the 3 week stall.. we should have the "6 week psycho".. and I think it's cuz people try TOO hard, too early out.

Never had a six week problem.

For me there was no trying to hard.

Four years out, below goal, size four and happy.

Worked great for me. I still rarely get to that level of carbs in a day.

I love Syntrax - I use both the Nectars and the regular chocolate/vanilla Protein powders. A full scoop of either is 100 calories and 0g of carbs, fat, and sugar. I also like the Quest salted caramel Protein Powder (it also seems to be the one out of all the flavours I tried that clumps the least).

I was accidentally sent a huge tub of vanilla-flavoured Premier Protein powder instead of the pre-made drinks from an export place that carries both. They ended up sending me the drinks and told me to keep the powder. I never used it until yesterday, partly because I didn't like the fact that it has almost twice the calories, plus carbs, of Syntrax. When I made my smoothie it was a lot thicker than the Syntrax ones, and in the end I had to throw half of it out. The aftertaste was just disgusting, and despite brushing my teeth and using mints and other things, nothing could get rid of the aftertaste, which lasted several hours. It's definitely going in the garbage. The pre-made drinks I can handle, it's the powder that's gross (at least for me).

I make all of my own Protein Drinks (Syntrax nectars or Quest - the former mixed with Water and the latter with almond milk) and smoothies (also mixed with unsweetened almond milk, and 1/2 cup of berries or banana thrown in, plus chia seeds). I like them so much better than the pre-made drinks, which always have a weird chemical (or something) taste to them.