Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Whose with me on July 17th with your sleeve surgery?! I finished the last of my pre-op assessments yesterday at 5pm. Received my surgery packets and antibacterial wash to use the morning of the surgery. I'm excited but so nervous I could throw up! I started this journey in January and can't believe how quickly it got here.

I with you on the 17th. I nabbed the first appointment so I plan to be in recovery before I have time to really wake up and let myself get too anxious. They also said they'd give me something to relax as soon as I get the IV in as it also helps transition to general anesthesia. I just hope my surgeon has had his morning coffee by then. Lol.

I've been focusing on my to-do list to distract me from getting truly nervous yet. Projects I've been putting off for 2 years suddenly need to be done by Monday. :-) I'm also trying to get everything **** and span so I have a clean environment to come back to after surgery.

Huh, my surgeon doesn't require bowel prep. He said try to stick with clear liquids the day before "to make it easier to clean out the stomach", but implied it wasn't a big deal.

Yeah i had to drink 1 bottle of mag citrate yesterday and then clear liquids today. Thank goodness thats over

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using BariatricPal mobile app

How did everyone do?

I haven't been able to take in fluids without dry heaving or getting dizzy so I am stuck here another night. BP was a little high so i've been on meds for that as well as pain meds and anti-nausea. The worst pain was probably an 8 right after surgery and it sits aorund a 5-6 before meds.

Edited by coyote

How did everyone do?
I haven't been able to take in fluids without dry heaving or getting dizzy so I am stuck here another night. BP was a little high so i've been on meds for that as well as pain meds and anti-nausea. The worst pain was probably an 8 right after surgery and it sits aorund a 5-6 before meds.

My surgeon automatically keeps everyone 2 nights so I'm still in the hospital as planned. Frankly, I'm not sure how anyone goes home the day after or even the same day!

My situation sounds very similar to yours. I wasn't actually dry heaving, but even ice chips would make me instantly nauseated with my mouth over salivating, feeling like I was going to hurl, which I am terrified to do. I sat with the kidney pan resting under my chin for long periods of time.

The worst was this morning when they had me take my regular pills, one which burns without enough Water so that was a miserable hour or so. They administered my antinausea med a little early and it did help.

By about noon, I was able to take tiny tiny sips without a problem. I think room temperature water helped immensely. It's now 2am (I have to pee ever 2 hours or so thanks to the IV fluids) and I just drank a whole ounce in 3 consecutive sips. Woohoo!

My BP is also up (it's usually normal), but not in any danger zone. We did find that it's much lower when they use the bigger cuff so it might explain some of my higher readings.

Ok, those three sips are coming back to haunt me now. Going to try to go back to sleep. Heal well!

2nd day post op (3rd in hospital). I'm doing much better with fluids. Water is ok now, especially at room temperature.

I just finished a Protein Shake for the first time. So far, so good. (It took 45 minutes). I also had some broth which is wicked salty, but delicious. I don't think I'm even going to attempt the lemonade or Jello.< br>
Then they brought a snack of 2 16oz bottles of water with crystal light packets to put in them. Yikes. 24 hours ago, I had trouble drinking from a thimble.

1 hour ago, sunmeadow said:

2nd day post op (3rd in hospital). I'm doing much better with fluids. Water is ok now, especially at room temperature.

I just finished a Protein shake for the first time. So far, so good. (It took 45 minutes). I also had some broth which is wicked salty, but delicious. I don't think I'm even going to attempt the lemonade or Jello.

Then they brought a snack of 2 16oz bottles of Water with crystal light packets to put in them. Yikes. 24 hours ago, I had trouble drinking from a thimble.

Thank you for sharing your experiences! I'm deeply sorry that you're also experiencing issues but also relieved to hear what I'm going through is normal. I think things would speed up if I could get a decent amount of sleep without someone waking me up every 20-30 minutes and sticking a needle in me!

Have you been able to walk around? I've been able to shuffle around for 15-20 minutes every few hours which helps a little with the gas and digestion but really irritates my muscle and belly.

Do you feel any gurgling in your new stomach after drinking? I can handle the pain of the incision and my back pain but the stomach spasms are doing me in! I'm so afraid if I do go home today and lose my IV i'll get dehydrated. I've only been able to sip about 2oz of water an hour with 5-10 minutes between each sip. No bowel movement since Sunday and i'm wondering if that's another reason for the stomach pain as I was pretty "regular" before starting the pre-op diet for a few weeks. I've taken in maybe 3oz of Protein since yesterday and i know i need to do better.

Thank you for sharing your experiences! I'm deeply sorry that you're also experiencing issues but also relieved to hear what I'm going through is normal. I think things would speed up if I could get a decent amount of sleep without someone waking me up every 20-30 minutes and sticking a needle in me!
Have you been able to walk around? I've been able to shuffle around for 15-20 minutes every few hours which helps a little with the gas and digestion but really irritates my muscle and belly.
Do you feel any gurgling in your new stomach after drinking? I can handle the pain of the incision and my back pain but the stomach spasms are doing me in! I'm so afraid if I do go home today and lose my IV i'll get dehydrated. I've only been able to sip about 2oz of Water an hour with 5-10 minutes between each sip. No bowel movement since Sunday and i'm wondering if that's another reason for the stomach pain as I was pretty "regular" before starting the pre-op diet for a few weeks. I've taken in maybe 3oz of Protein since yesterday and i know i need to do better.

I think everyone is a little different. I just had this unrealistic notion that I'd be the one with no issues. I'm actually doing ok now. I just had to wait for my insides to stop being so aggravated from all the trauma.

I just got home and it feels great to have all the contraptions gone (IV and heart monitor). That made me feel more like a normal person right away. They went through my discharge instructions and I was in my own. Didn't have to get wheeled out or anything.

I haven't had a bowel movement since surgery though I did have one right before and I haven't really had real food since Sunday. I did finally have some flatulence and I was excited to finally answer that question "yes". Never been excited to break wind before, but I guess there's a lot of new experiences to be had with this decision. ;-)

Yes, a very small amount of gurgling, but until this morning, I'd only had a total of about 8oz of water so there wasn't much in there to gurgle about. I've still only had that one Protein Shake, some broth and a few sips of crystal light. I'm taking it REALLY slow because I don't want the nausea to come back.

I hope things turn around as quickly for you. Another post somewhere said as soon as they were home and able to get a decent night sleep, and everything clicked and was fine.

I literally had to pee every two hours so I can't blame them totally for waking me up. When I was done, I'd do a lap of the floor and my spirometer and they acted like I was a magical patient. I guess not everyone is as compliant about walking as they should be.

How did everyone do?

Hi Coyote,

How are you doing? Haven't heard from you in awhile.

By the way, I am noticing the gurgling noises much more now.

I'm doing ok. I seem to get better in leaps and bounds every day. I'm hoping to get all of my Protein and fluids in today. I didn't quite make my targets yesterday.

My incisions are what's bothering me the most now. Otherwise, I don't feel too badly.

Hi sunmeadow, thanks for checking in!

I am able to take in about 8oz of Water today without feeling nausea. My stomach still spasms and tries to force gas out and I feel it getting stuck in my chest but compared to yesterday I am doing much better! I am also still getting gurgles in my throat and my incisions are very painful today. The codeine has helped but is also very painful to take.

Have you been able to get any sleep or walk around? I'm afraid all of my walking has irritater my incisions since I have to walk hunched over. I feel a lot of pressure in my chest and upper back and wonder if it is gas.

I had a bowel movement today!! lol where else can i share this that people would understand? Ok so heres my honest experience!

day 1: TORTURE

day 2: extremely uncomfortable

day 3: uncomfortable but excited to go home and can start reading and watching tv without being miserable

day 4: Not being too proud to take the oxy if i need it!

I said to my husband on night 1 "if I knew how painful this wouldve been i probably wouldnt have done it" thank god it passed This is my pain..I dry heave and bile or nothing comes up and then my sides are in pain from all the dry heaving! the gas was bad but the gas x strips helped alot!

Now I feel much better and someone sane! How are you guys all doing?

21 minutes ago, coyote said:

Hi sunmeadow, thanks for checking in!

I am able to take in about 8oz of Water today without feeling nausea. My stomach still spasms and tries to force gas out and I feel it getting stuck in my chest but compared to yesterday I am doing much better! I am also still getting gurgles in my throat and my incisions are very painful today. The codeine has helped but is also very painful to take.

Have you been able to get any sleep or walk around? I'm afraid all of my walking has irritater my incisions since I have to walk hunched over. I feel a lot of pressure in my chest and upper back and wonder if it is gas.

Have you been able to find the gas x strips? They have been a life saver for the gas pains!