Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Packing for hospital??

Hey all,

Will you help me with this list??

My surgery date is August 1st and I'm trying to make a list of things that I might need while in the hospital and during initial recovery.

I only have:

Easy shoes to slip on/walk in in hospital

Gas x ??

Comfortable/loose clothes

Heating pad

that looks good. good luck. i was just in one night so didnt need anything other than clothes and flip flops, usual toiletries. the ride home made me super nauseated (threw up when i got home, guessing still from anesthesia) so it was super helpful to have my family go fill the prescriptions--the anti-nausea med especially--really fast as soon as i got home. only needed that the first two days though.

At age 67 I spent 8 hours at the hospital. I needed nothing. I wore loose clothing to the hospital, and wore them home. I took l pain pill when I got home, drove to the store the next day, and walked the mall four days later. I hope you are as lucky!!!

At age 67 I spent 8 hours at the hospital. I needed nothing. I wore loose clothing to the hospital, and wore them home. I took l pain pill when I got home, drove to the store the next day, and walked the mall four days later. I hope you are as lucky!!!

Wow. My doctor told me I would be in there for a mandatory 3 days! I'm wondering what did you rely on the most in those first 3 days???

that looks good. good luck. i was just in one night so didnt need anything other than clothes and flip flops, usual toiletries. the ride home made me super nauseated (threw up when i got home, guessing still from anesthesia) so it was super helpful to have my family go fill the prescriptions--the anti-nausea med especially--really fast as soon as i got home. only needed that the first two days though.

Oh well that's good to know! I'll make sure I bring a bag in the car just in case!

5 minutes ago, Pescador said:

Wow! Now thats encouraging. I hope I'm like you.

Chapstick, extension cord for cell phone charger, get prescriptions filled before you leave. I brought so much stuff and didn't use anything except the chapstick and charger.

Band to VSG revision:5/23/17
HW: 315
Pre-op: 294
SW: 283
CW: 264.6
GW: 175

8 hours ago, Dizzykatja said:

Wow. My doctor told me I would be in there for a mandatory 3 days! I'm wondering what did you rely on the most in those first 3 days???

Til the anesthesia wore off I just slept. I went home thinking I would be recovering and I felt like I never even had anything done. I was bored to death and drove to the grocery store to browse labels. I had stocked up on so many things thinking I under be unable to shop, and cannot begin to tell you all the shakes and powders that expired and went in the garbage. Honestly the first three days I did nothing special. I remember sitting in my closet cleaning out clothes and reorganizing. I felt so great. I wish you a great experience!

8 hours ago, Noworneverthin said:

Anyone got this done as an out patient?

Actually I was outpatient. Checked in the hospital at 6 am, taken to surgery suite, then I was done and in recovery, slept a little, had the swallow test, and went home at 2 pm. I had no pain or nausea. I told the surgeon get me in and out as fast as possible. There are too many bugs you can get in the hospital, like staph infection. The surgeon was amazing!

Gas X is useless.

They give you socks with grip to wear. I still have mine, I love them.

Heating pad is a no, just don't do it. I doubt the hospital will let you bring one but they would have something for you if you really need it.

All you need are a lip balm, whatever you wash your face with, cell phone and charger. The hospital has everything you need. They are charging you a fortune, take advantage.

I packed a bag to take to the hospital, and I'll be honest with you, the ONLY thing I used out of it was my phone charger. They wanted me to stay in the hospital gown, I kept their slippers on, and wore the clothes home that I wore in. Don't bother packing too much.

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

I wore lose fitting clothing to the hospital. And brought my loose pjs. Cause I knew they would have me walking the floor later the same day as surgery. I wore white cotton socks into surgery and had some easy to slide on slippers to walk in. Toothbrush/paste, brush hair tie, and deodorant, my coat machine, and cell charger. I slept most of the first day so didn't use anything but the pj bottoms and slippers to walk. Got up early the next day freshened up and walked some down the halls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using BariatricPal mobile app

I wore lose fitting clothing to the hospital. And brought my loose pjs. Cause I knew they would have me walking the floor later the same day as surgery. I wore white cotton socks into surgery and had some easy to slide on slippers to walk in. Toothbrush/paste, brush hair tie, and deodorant, my coat machine, and cell charger. I slept most of the first day so didn't use anything but the pj bottoms and slippers to walk. Got up early the next day freshened up and walked some down the halls.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using BariatricPal mobile app

When I was going into surgery I packed a bag but it honestly didn't make no sense for me because I was in to much pain to get up like that but I will say bring your toothbrush of course deodorant and under garment and maybe slippers but everything else you are going to be in to much pain to worry about pajamas lol