Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you ask for time off work?

When you asked for time off did you tell your job about the surgery? How should I word my request? Also I'm not close to anyone I work with so I'm not really interested inn telling anyone I work with. Suggestions please.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using BariatricPal mobile app

I utilized paid time off (PTO) hours that I'd accumulated. I submitted a time-off request to use PTO hours for one week off work. I didn't indicate I'd be having surgery.

Then, during my 1-week post-op appointment at the bariatric surgeon's office, I requested a medical excuse slip allowing me to take another week off. The medical excuse slip had the bariatric surgery practice's letterhead (Ultimate Bariatrics), so I suspect my former staffing coordinator figured out I had surgery once she saw it.

I returned to work two weeks post-op.

Edited by Introversion

Thankfully I didn't have to ask for it. I told my boss I was having the surgery. He knew I would be gone. And when I came back I had papers from the hospital indicating that I stayed there for 4 days, and then a medical excuse from my primary for the remaining time. I know it's different in the US though.

I requested two weeks off using my PTO, and the 3rd week I used my state disability. I originally asked for 4 weeks but I returned a week early. I was going crazy at home, lol

Sent from my SM-G935V using BariatricPal mobile app

I work for a huge health system so I told my boss I was going out for surgery but did not say what surgery. I submitted by leave of absence paperwork to that department which did indicate the surgery I was having. My return to work letter from the surgeon that I handed in at my job was a generic letter stating I had been under her care and was able to return to work... I still have not told my boss what surgery I had and they are not allowed to ask. Perhaps they can figure it out but I lost 32 pounds in the 3 months waiting for my surgery. I choose who I tell and who I don't tell

I told everyone about my surgery, and utilized my short-term disability benefits for 6 weeks off at 100% pay.

I told my boss I was having my gallbladder removed. I used my accumulated sick leave and did not have to "prove" anything with Dr's notes.

I still haven't told anyone at my office about it. They all think the weightloss is from my lifestyle change I made just before my "gallbladder removal."

I took off 9 working days. My surgery was on a Wednesday, I took off the remainder of that week, the whole next week, and the following Monday was a federal holiday so I already had that day off. I could have easily returned to work 1 week after surgery because I was feeling good, but I'm glad I took the extra time at home to adjust to the diet stages.

Edited by SouthJerseySleever

I told my boss it was for a hiatal hernia. I also handled all of the paperwork between the insurance company and work.

I had a doctors note stating I needed 3 weeks off for medical reasons, but didn't say why and they aren't allowed to ask.

After surgery though, I've told everyone!

I took 6 weeks off and used CA state disability, except for the first week which I used my companies extended sick leave for. I work for a large hospital so no, you do not need to tell anyone why you are having surgery and they cannot ask. But three other people in my department had the sleeve in the last 2 years so I didn't bother trying to hide it. More power to people who could go back to work right away, but I felt extremely weak until week 4 and I was thrilled to have 6 weeks to recover. And get used to the new way of eating.

I did the endoscopic sleeve gastroplasty this past Friday, was back to work this Monday. I told one workmate. Eventually I will tell everyone because I am starting to be questioned how I am loosing weight so fast, 10 lbs in less than a week.

Sent from my SM-G930V using BariatricPal mobile app

I told my boss I was having surgery and would be out 2-3 weeks and notified our disability insurance/leave administration company. (Approval of the disability claim automatically approves the leave of absence).

I work for a larger company and they have a whole packet explaining what you have to do. There are certain requirements they have to follow to comply with FMLA requirements (FMLA is the Family and Medical Leave Act in the US).

I haven't told anyone what I'm having surgery for and they can't ask. Even the person at the call center that took my initial call didn't need to know. Only the case manager handling my claim knows anything because they have to verify everything with my doctor's office.

If you're in the US and don't work for a tiny company, notifying your boss or your HR rep that you will be out should trigger all the right administrative activities to provide you with short-term disability and any other leave benefits/provisions if available and you want them and protect your job with FMLA.

2 hours ago, Karcares said:

I took 6 weeks off and used CA state disability, except for the first week which I used my companies extended sick leave for. I work for a large hospital so no, you do not need to tell anyone why you are having surgery and they cannot ask. But three other people in my department had the sleeve in the last 2 years so I didn't bother trying to hide it. More power to people who could go back to work right away, but I felt extremely weak until week 4 and I was thrilled to have 6 weeks to recover. And get used to the new way of eating.

Amen. I did the same thing.

I know some people have had real struggles with getting time off, fear of telling their supervisors, etc. Fortunately I had none of those issues. While I didn't announce it to the world, those I work with and my leadership chain knew well in advance what I was doing. By being open about the surgery I have gotten a tremendous amount of support. I had plenty of accumulated sick leave and was able to telework for two weeks straight without any problems.

I was concerned early on that there would be some sort of stigma attached to having bariatric surgery but I have never found anyone (at work, neighbors, etc) who has been anything but supportive.

I hope that you end up with a similar experience.

-Kurt