Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi Everyone,

For the Veterans here, just wondering how long after surgery did you have your first breads. Either tortilla, wrap, whole wheat breads. I am far away from it but was just wondering how everyone else did!

Thanks

Id say i was about 5 weeks out

HW 260
SW 245
CW 195
Sleeved 2/8/2017

bread is a never for me. Too many carbs.

I ate bread about 4 weeks post op, but I am not doing well with bread, it just stuffs me up and I need to vomit it out. Crackers works best for me. Nothing soft.

36 Male

HW:308
SW:302
CW:225

Sleeved 01/30/2017

I wasn't allowed fresh bread until after 6 weeks. I was allowed a day old bread before that.

Now I eat whole wheat tortilla once in a while, usually leaving a lot of it behind, and I eat a high Protein bread if I ever get a craving for bread.

Thanks for all the replies much appreciated

I am three years post op. I didn't eat any bread until I was at my goal weight and even then only eat it in small amounts.

12 hours ago, blizair09 said:

bread is a never for me. Too many carbs.

Wow, Bliz. You're so close to goal. You've done phenomenal! Great job!!

Was that whole loss within a year?

I'm not a vet, but I haven't tried any breads or sugars, outside Dunkin Donuts slipping me a sugar filled iced coffee here and there on accident. Nothing like a sip full of sugar <_< when you least expect it.

But nothing intentional. That is one slippery slope I don't want to fall down.

I'm only 6 months out but I was allowed bread during my soft solids phase but only toasted. I will have a slice of toast with PB on occasion. It doesn't bother my stomach as long as it's toasted.

As for tortillas, Mission makes a Carb Balance one that I really like. Whole grain and low carbs I use it to make a lot of different things. Quesadillas, Sandwiches, Pizza...

I'm a long term vet. I'd say I was around nine months before I'd have half a piece of toast or bread. Homemade, I'm a baker.

I still avoid tortilla, mostly. It swells for me and it's hard to gauge how much is too much.

I don't avoid bread or carbs. I'm easily maintaining and have for years. I just choose Protein first and don't overdo it. I eat bread or toast when I want, or half a bagel, or an English muffin. I just do it in moderation. Everyone is different. Carbs aren't my addiction. I avoid fried foods; they're more likely to make me want more than bread ever would.

Cheri