Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do we fall off the wagon? & How to get back on?

12 minutes ago, Greensleevie said:

I cringe when pre ops think everything will change and all our diet woes will disappear.

You hit the nail on the head. Undergoing bariatric surgery with the hope that all of one's preexisting eating issues will miraculously disappear is unrealistic.

People who have WLS must be willing to work in order to succeed. For some, it means addressing serious psychological aspects of why they overeat (e.g., emotional overeating, boredom, food addiction, stress). It might even entail professional help.

I conjecture that 90+ percent of success after bariatric surgery is psychological. Essentially, the head of a person who has undergone WLS must be in the right place to succeed.

Many WLS patients who don't utilize more adaptive mechanisms to cope with life's stressors often regain weight due to using food for purposes other than intended.

Edited by Introversion

You hit the nail on the head. Undergoing bariatric surgery with the hope that all of one's preexisting eating issues will miraculously disappear is unrealistic.
People who have WLS must be willing to work in order to succeed. For some, it means addressing serious psychological aspects of why they overeat (e.g., emotional overeating, boredom, food addiction, stress). It might even entail professional help.
I conjecture that 90+ percent of success after bariatric surgery is psychological. Essentially, the head of a person who has undergone WLS must be in the right place to succeed.
Many WLS patients who don't utilize more adaptive mechanisms to cope with life's stressors often regain weight due to using food for purposes other than intended.

Yup. I had no idea how much I used food to comfort me. I would've told you before surgery that I most definitely didn't do that. It wasn't until I couldn't eat that I realized it.
Grazing is a big no no for me. I have to thoughtfully plan my meals and not snack when vegging out. It's a HUGE adjustment but one I want to make and am working hard at changing every single day.

On 16.7.2017 at 4:05 PM, Apple1 said:

I don't understand why some people consider healthy food selections and portions as a restrictive diet mentality?

It might be the case because that term "healthy food choices" is very, very vague.

Because what exactly are "healthy food choices"? I feel it depends on what dietary approach you're following. What one approach calls healthy might be the worst food from hell when it comes to another dietary approach.

33 minutes ago, summerset said:

It might be the case because that term "healthy food choices" is very, very vague.

Yes...one pre-op patient's idea of a healthy meal was mashed potatoes, a fried egg sandwich with Mayonnaise, and Southern sweet tea (yes, he was from the Deep South).

Some people believe foods such as granola, Cream of Wheat, and Special-K Cereal are healthy. Others feel Lean Cuisine frozen meals are healthy options.

In a nutshell, the concept of healthy eating differs with each individual.

I am a little more than 2 years out from my Gastric Sleeve. Problem is, I never really lost any weight. In the first few weeks after surgery, when I was dehydrated, unable to drink, nauseated, and in pain, I dropped 25 pounds which immediately came back as soon as I could consume any nutrition at all. i only lost 5 pounds from my surgery. i am at that weight today. What really disgusts me is that prior to surgery, i was losing weight regularly. i had lost 62 pounds on my own. Now, I find it impossible to do so. I wish I could use my Sleeve, but it seems to be working against me, although I am unable to eat as much as before, I can eat a substantial amount and have a large appetite. I have seen my doctor, nutritionist, etc. For medical reasons, I am unable to exercise. Any suggestions? PS. i am on Medicare, they will not pay for revision surgery as I am 5 foot 4, 195 pounds.

Where do you live?
I just had a revision 6/16 at Cedar Sinaid hospital in Beverly Hills, my surgeon is amazing. I had my original surgery 20 years ago a VGB and recently had a revision RNY due to severe GURD and pain.
I remember there was another patient that who I met that had the sleeve to RNY and she had Medicare.
It's possible when you're having complications. Document everything. Pain and vomiting have studies done to see if you have GURD. Best of luck.

http://bio.csmc.edu/view/5877/Daniel-Shouhed.aspx

Aka_ET

HW-220
Pre-op 194.3
RNY
SD June 16th 2017
CW-176
GW-140
HT 5' 3"
[emoji120][emoji878][emoji1272]

"You may see me struggle but you will never see me quit"

I have struggled for quite a while. Generally, what I do is get super fired up to hit the 'restart' button, then I do well for a few days then crash and burn. VERY reminiscent of a 'diet' mentality. So....I have decided to do a full out reset (again). They have worked in the past. I also have found a sort-of close by support group that I'll be attending this week. I think that will make a good difference for me.

I have been seeing the psychiatrist at my surgeon's office and that seems to have helped a lot too. I haven't seen her in a while but when I was seeing her I noticed that I seemed to have more control.

For me, this is almost like starting all over from the beginning. I have changed everything in my entire life since surgery, including moving to a new area, changed houses, changed jobs, lost a parent, went back to school etc. So I have had major changes. No excuses, but I realize how much I used food. For me ENTIRE life, including now. Post op I did great for about 17 months then started slipping. I've also been on pop/soda for quite a while and that has had major impact too.

I have regained a major portion of my original weight loss. But, I'm here for the duration. I WILL get control again. I think that for me the reason was turning back to old habits, taking on too much change in a short time, not seeking out support, and using all those facts as justification for my bad habits.

My dr and his team want his patients to eat two different items for our meal so that it feels like a meal I guess. Tonight I had what the family ate - grilled chicken and grilled veggies (squash,zucchini and carrots) about 1 ounce of veggies and 2 ounces of meat. I am 5.5 weeks out.
It was so good.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 195 GW 135

I found myself gaining weight. My exercise and my portions were ok, but I am drinking too many high sugar alcohol drinks. I just went back to basics, drinking Protein Shakes and clean food. I need to cut the alcohol and track my meals. The only way I can do this is being accountable about what I am really doing and stop consuming (or drinking) empty calories.

I've had a few rough days lately. Emotional eating. Kept the calories under 1000 but blew it by not eating Protein first and eating some totally worthless, empty high sugar foods. I had a krispy cream donut one day and a mcdonalds ice cream cone another. It didn't make me eat more that day but I sure felt awful emotionally- not physically- I had no nausea or anything else. I wish I had. It made me feel like this is going to be a bigger battle than I thought.
I'm still losing- in fact it has been a good couple of weeks as far as weight loss goes.
I know I just have to keep that crap out of my life.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 185 GW 135

I have struggled for quite a while. Generally, what I do is get super fired up to hit the 'restart' button, then I do well for a few days then crash and burn. VERY reminiscent of a 'diet' mentality. So....I have decided to do a full out reset (again). They have worked in the past. I also have found a sort-of close by support group that I'll be attending this week. I think that will make a good difference for me.
I have been seeing the psychiatrist at my surgeon's office and that seems to have helped a lot too. I haven't seen her in a while but when I was seeing her I noticed that I seemed to have more control.
For me, this is almost like starting all over from the beginning. I have changed everything in my entire life since surgery, including moving to a new area, changed houses, changed jobs, lost a parent, went back to school etc. So I have had major changes. No excuses, but I realize how much I used food. For me ENTIRE life, including now. Post op I did great for about 17 months then started slipping. I've also been on pop/soda for quite a while and that has had major impact too.
I have regained a major portion of my original weight loss. But, I'm here for the duration. I WILL get control again. I think that for me the reason was turning back to old habits, taking on too much change in a short time, not seeking out support, and using all those facts as justification for my bad habits.

Could u please tell me what a full out reset is...is it the 5 day reset?

On 9/1/2017 at 11:21 AM, Missy161 said:

I've had a few rough days lately. Emotional eating. Kept the calories under 1000 but blew it by not eating Protein first and eating some totally worthless, empty high sugar foods. I had a krispy cream donut one day and a mcdonalds ice cream cone another. It didn't make me eat more that day but I sure felt awful emotionally- not physically- I had no nausea or anything else. I wish I had. It made me feel like this is going to be a bigger battle than I thought.
I'm still losing- in fact it has been a good couple of weeks as far as weight loss goes.
I know I just have to keep that crap out of my life.

Mich W
Hw 223, SW 217 CW 185 GW 135

I know this is an older thread, and you've figured it out by now but, how are you doing? All I can suggest is, fight like hell to resist the empty calories and get all of your Protein and veggies in, every day. I think if you do that, there won't be much room for the junk foods. The way I got around it originally was to grant myself the emotional snack, BUT, only after I got my good foods in for the day. By then, I usually didn't want it any more.

It’s not just the head issues, which has a lot to do with it but also too tired to make a meal...esp when u r working overtime or more than 1job, or late from work...so many reasons. If u can, pick up the book “Why we get fat & what to do about it” by Gary Taubes. It quotes so much research done out there & things they have found. Very interesting & will help you understand the intricacies of how we put on fat & how insulin works in doing this.

It is tough to keep it off if u aren’t following the “rules” & some days are better than others. Instead of beating each other up, let’s just support each other, as we are humans & things happen.

i don’t think anyone will ever have the right answer or a fix that will work for me instead of with me......let’s just keep trying. I believe that that is the best we can do. Don’t give up. Pick yourself up & go back to using the pouch RULES.

We can all win in the end if we never give up & most importantly remember that u r the one that walks in your shoes & no one else. Be honest & we can all try to help by giving you our tips which helped us. No this is easier for u or me...it’s all difficult as there are so many variables in humanity. No tailored answer except 1 & that’s work with your sleeve & honestly try to follow the pouch rules.

Some lose fast, some slow. Some see or hear better than others, given the same treatments. We are individuals & as much as we are the same, we also vary.

one of the things they found too is that not all bodies react the same to carbs as others. Some bodies are more resistant while others start storing the minutest carb as fat.

Sorry...didn’t realize this was an older post....just came back from being off of this site. Was getting pretty depressed due to all the attacking going around. Well toodles....hoping to find some more posts minus the attacks, lol

On 7/10/2017 at 2:07 PM, James Marusek said:

Several months after RNY gastric bypass, you will transition from the Weight Loss phase to the Maintenance phase. Eventually your weight loss will diminish and you will slide quite naturally into the next phase. I went through this transition at around 7 months post-op. Being successful in the Maintenance phase requires a different strategy than the Weight Loss phase. The following article describes my experience in the Maintenance phase. http://www.breadandbutterscience.com/Surgery2.pdf

hi James,

I must say I am very encouraged by your post and it is great motivation. I just had my lapland taken out and plan to not have any other surgery. I share your post since I find it very thoughtful and encouraging not to mention we need to take responsibility. thank you for taking the time to share it.

josie