Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why do we fall off the wagon? & How to get back on?

Here's some tough love people... STOP !!!:angry: You've gone through so much (as far as surgery and recovery goes) and why do you want to sabotage that? Yes we are all human and that can be tough. However... please...you MUST make a conscious effort to eat healthy. BE STRONG!! don't let the devil do it :71_smiling_imp: I know you can

quick story...out with friend for lunch in a food court not a lot of healthy food options. However I found a bowl of chili at a Tim Hortons...(personally I like Wendy's better they have hot sauce... but I digress) and my friend had Burger King. I so wanted to reach over and grab a french fry...but the good little angel on my shoulder (and not the devil :71_smiling_imp:) said NO Jeffrey you have come too far !

I have made a conscious decision to stay away from carbs/gluten and of course sugar (especially if you have type 2 diabetes like me) . That means NO NO NO Pasta, rice, and bread unless it's gluten free. There are so many options out there now to sub for all that. Not to mention blogs and websites dedicated to cooking for bariatric patients. You would be amazed how cauliflower has subbed for so many recipes for example. And tastes great really

So PLEASE !! even if I don't know you...I respect you for having gone through the same physical anguish I have and don't F**K it up. Here are a couple of recipes...try and good health ;)

Cauliflower Fried Rice-like

Ingredients
1 small head cauliflower
2 teaspoons olive oil, plus more if serving with eggs
3 carrots, peeled and diced
3 scallions, thinly sliced at an angle (separate white bottoms and green tops)
1 cup frozen peas, defrosted and drained
2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
Two 1-inch pieces fresh ginger, peeled and minced
1 tablespoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1 pound Chinese barbecue pork, diced (optional)
4 eggs (optional)

Preparation
1. Halve the cauliflower through the stem. Cut out and discard the tough,
leafy parts and cut the head into florets. Rinse in cold Water and dry.

2. Working in batches (do not overcrowd the bowl, fill it only about halfway),
add the florets to the bowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade and pulse until it resembles rice,
about 30 seconds. Repeat with remaining cauliflower. Set aside for immediate use or store, covered,
in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.

3. In a large nonstick pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat until hot.
Add the carrots and the white bottoms of the scallions. Season with salt and pepper and cook,
stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes.

4. Add the peas, garlic and ginger, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes.
Add the cauliflower rice and stir to combine.

5. Add sesame oil and soy sauce and continue to cook, stirring to combine,
about 2 minutes (do not overcook or cauliflower will become mushy).
If using pork, add it to the pan, and toss to heat through. Taste to correct seasoning;
add salt and pepper if necessary. Transfer to a serving bowl and top with remaining green scallions.

6. If serving with eggs, in the same pan that you cooked the rice,
add about two teaspoons of olive oil and heat over medium until warm.
Add eggs, one at a time, keeping them separate. Cook until whites are set and yolks are to your liking,
about 5 to 6 minutes. Serve egg on top of rice.

Sticky Cauliflower

1-2 tbsp. vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups unflavored soy or almond milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 large cauliflower crown, broken into florets
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup maple Syrup (low sugar/or fake syrup low sugar)
1/4 cup rice vinegar
2 tsp. sesame oil
2 tsp. fresh grated ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. sriracha
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
2 scallions, chopped
toasted sesame seeds
cooked rice, for serving
Instructions

Preheat oven to 450° (preheating is crucial here, so don't skip it).
Use about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to coat the bottom of a large roasting pan or oven-safe skillet.
Stir milk, flour, salt and baking powder together in small bowl.
Dip cauliflower florets in mixture to coat, shaking off any excess batter. Arrange in a single layer in roasting pan or skillet.
Bake 10 minutes.
While cauliflower bakes, combine soy sauce, maple syrup, rice vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and Sriracha in a small saucepan.
Place over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir cornstarch and water together in a small container until cornstarch is fully dissolved.
Add to soy sauce mixture and stir to blend. Remove from heat.
Remove cauliflower from oven and flip. Lightly brush florets with remaining tablespoon of oil.
Return to oven and bake 5 minutes more, until they begin to sizzle and lightly crisp.
Remove from oven and pour sauce over florets.
Return to oven and bake 3-4 minutes more, just until sauce becomes very sticky and coasts florets.
Serve over rice (optional) and sprinkle with sesame seeds and scallions.
Notes

You can also skip the rice and serve the cauliflower as a wing-style appetizer.

Edited by Jeffrey Stern

22 hours ago, Newme17 said:

This is good.

I agree. This was exactly the point I was trying to get across in a different thread yesterday.

Stop spending so much time worrying about whats for dinner and feed your body what it needs to remain healthy and reach your goals. We all know what we need to do!

I am a little more than 2 years out from my Gastric Sleeve. Problem is, I never really lost any weight. In the first few weeks after surgery, when I was dehydrated, unable to drink, nauseated, and in pain, I dropped 25 pounds which immediately came back as soon as I could consume any nutrition at all. i only lost 5 pounds from my surgery. i am at that weight today. What really disgusts me is that prior to surgery, i was losing weight regularly. i had lost 62 pounds on my own. Now, I find it impossible to do so. I wish I could use my Sleeve, but it seems to be working against me, although I am unable to eat as much as before, I can eat a substantial amount and have a large appetite. I have seen my doctor, nutritionist, etc. For medical reasons, I am unable to exercise. Any suggestions? PS. i am on Medicare, they will not pay for revision surgery as I am 5 foot 4, 195 pounds.

Edited by lynneanne
typos

2 hours ago, lynneanne said:

I am a little more than 2 years out from my Gastric Sleeve. Problem is, I never really lost any weight. In the first few weeks after surgery, when I was dehydrated, unable to drink, nauseated, and in pain, I dropped 25 pounds which immediately came back as soon as I could consume any nutrition at all. i only lost 5 pounds from my surgery. i am at that weight today. What really disgusts me is that prior to surgery, i was losing weight regularly. i had lost 62 pounds on my own. Now, I find it impossible to do so. I wish I could use my Sleeve, but it seems to be working against me, although I am unable to eat as much as before, I can eat a substantial amount and have a large appetite. I have seen my doctor, nutritionist, etc. For medical reasons, I am unable to exercise. Any suggestions? PS. i am on Medicare, they will not pay for revision surgery as I am 5 foot 4, 195 pounds.

How many calories are you consuming daily? Do you track your foods? How many carbs and Protein are you eating? Are you drinking at least 64oz or more Water daily? I think we need more information to offer advice. Did you follow your doctors plan?

Exercise can be walking or non-impact in a pool, it doesn't have to be stressful to the body.

I am sorry you haven't lost weight, but maybe you still can if you change some things.

On 10. Juli 2017 at 6:44 PM, bostonmama said:

I'm sure there are many different reasons, but maybe common ones as well? Please share your insight & experiences!

We do because almost everyone on a diet falls off the wagon - that's why diets usually don't work in the long run.

And that is why I think it's sad that so many WLS patients don't stop the restrictive dieting after surgery. On the contrary, some even top their former dieting by adopting even stricter rules, believing that "this time it will surely work".

Personally I think it is a combination of mindset, never changing their relationships with food, and laziness. Processed and fast food is easy.

My mindset is the changes I am making now must be for life. These changes are not a diet, they are a healthy lifestyle. I know plenty of people that eat healthy and don't indulge in junk food or sweets and they have never had a weight problem.

I don't understand why some people consider healthy food selections and portions as a restrictive diet mentality?

On 7/10/2017 at 1:00 PM, Introversion said:

We fall off the wagon the moment we begin using food as something other than what it really is intended for: nutrition to fuel our bodies' basic activities.

Some people use food as an emotional crutch. Others use food to bestow enjoyment upon their lives (e.g., the satisfaction of feeling full after eating at the all-you-can-eat buffet). Others use food to conquer boredom or loneliness. Some people use food to deal with stress.

Some people use food as an escape mechanism because they subconsciously dislike themselves. For some, food is their drug. Here's a saying: "Addiction is an attempt to escape from yourself. Recovery is an attempt to discover yourself."

If we find ourselves regularly reaching for junk food rather than real food, it's a surefire sign we're using food for purposes other than intended.

This is exactly what I'm going through in this moment. As I write this I'm in tears. I'm almost five years post sleeved, and within the last three months I've gained 20-25 lbs. I'll lose about 6-8 lbs and put that back on. Mentally I can't seem to kick myself out of this feeling empty mode of sadness. No one around me understands how food is an addiction and the bad stuff tastes so good. Yet it's soothing when you're in a low place. I'm begging and pleading with myself to get out of this, but I don't know how to get back to the motivation I once had. Overall I lost 150 lbs from my sleeve, and I'm terrified of the weight I've put back on. I'm trying my pouch reset again tomorrow in hopes that it's still working. I truly need help I'm feeling defeated and lost.

31 minutes ago, MsBrown76 said:

Mentally I can't seem to kick myself out of this feeling empty mode of sadness.

Personally, I started seeing a mental health counselor a few months prior to reaching my goal weight. Since I had a history of self-medicating my emotional traumas with food and other distractions prior to weight loss surgery, I wanted to slay the dragon before the dragon had a chance to slay me.

I know the feeling of sadness you speak of. It feels like a bottomless pit. Until you address the sadness (read: a telltale symptom of depression), I suspect you'll continue to self-medicate by overeating.

Perhaps some professional help is needed? It's okay to be weak in the moment and admit that we may need to mobilize help to solve a problem. I wish you the best of luck. You've got this. :)

16 minutes ago, MsBrown76 said:

I truly need help I'm feeling defeated and lost.

[Hugs]

Of course, talking to someone is always a good idea.

In the meantime, turn nutrition and eating into a simple, preplanned, repeatable experience until you can figure some things out.

1. It would be great to find out your BMR so calorie counting can mean something. If you can't get tested, then you have to track everything, creating a lot of work.

2. The more you think about food (through tracking), the more important it is in your head... the more you think about food, the hungrier you will be.

3. Yes, 1 and 2 are at odds with each other.

4. In order to not think about food, you need to have other hobbies.

5. But if you are busy with hobbies, and not thinking about food, then you eat "whatever", and if it's quick and easy, it's usually junk.

I have solved all of these issues for me by creating a single, simple, repeatable menu. I plan once a week and go shopping for what I need, then I don't have to think about it for the rest of the week.

Hello MsBrown76

I don't know a whole lot about the sleeve...I had the bypass. Having that procedure makes it next to if not impossible for me to over indulge. It is a shame you have gained those 20 - 25 lbs, after all that you've been through. food can be an addiction just like drugs and alcohol. People don't see that because we do need food to survive.

Here's some tough love MsBrown76. STOP IT !!!! LOL LOL Falling off the wagon is a state of mind and you know your doing it ... WHY ?? you work so hard at blaming and belittling yourself...WHY ??? Your sabotaging yourself.... why???

Yes food is like a sin to some of us ( we have all been there).... and we gravitate to medicate for something. But you have done some very positive things for yourself you have had the surgery...that's the first step and on to many other things.

Healthy food does not have to be boring nor tasteless nor a sign of punishment for being heavy. (Notice I didn't say fat) words have dramatic effects on our minds. I also stay away from the word "DIET" because it has come to be a dirty word for food deprivation and again we equate it with punishment for being weight challenged. "Only FAT people DIET" !!!

There are so many blogs and bariatric websites out there now for people like us who need to watch what we eat. Some great healthy alternatives full of flavour and a lot less calories.

A quick story for you... a friend and I had a quick lunch at a fast food court lots of junk food places and the like. I found a bowl of chili (who doesn't like chili a much healthier option) at a Tim Hortons... personally I like Wendys better (but I digress) my friend had Burger King, I so wanted to reach over and take a fry or two, but NO!...I said NO!:blink: It was tough but I felt good.

So I don't bore you anymore...keep in mind it's all in the mind and even if I don't know you... I know you have the strength to carry on. This blog has many wonderful people on it who are here to help and all know what you are going through. So keep yourself proud and happy of what you have accomplished those 20 - 25 lbs are a thing of the past and will be a small stumbling block on a road to success . EAT HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS

:D;):1330_v_tone1: NO -:377_hamburger::380_pizza::399_birthday::402_lollipop::401_candy::371_bread::383_burrito::400_custard:...YES -:359_grapes::360_strawberry::369_sweet_potato::363_peach::365_tomato::368_corn::362_cherries::1335_ok_hand_tone1:

2 hours ago, Jeffrey Stern said:

I had the bypass. Having that procedure makes it next to if not impossible for me to over indulge.

Don't be fooled...it is very much possible to overindulge with any type of weight loss surgery.

Look at Carnie Wilson, one of the most famous gastric bypass recipients...started at nearly 300 pounds, got down to 150 pounds, then regained two-thirds of the weight.

Anyone can regain with a lap band, sleeve or bypass through overindulgence. Those who are still in their honeymoon periods never envision it happening to them, but the slippery slope always looms.

Forewarned is forearmed. Never say never.

Dear Introversion

I don't think I'm being fooled...thank you. I can barely eat anything without "dumping" if I do. If I eat too fast or too much I get incredible indigestion and start to puke. I think the sleeve gives you a little more room for food than having a bypass and you technically still have a stomach (hence the term "bypass" your intestines aren't being re arranged) I'm just saying. So what you call a "Honeymoon period" has never existed for me.

I have also made a conscious decision to eat a healthier lifestyle... I didn't go through all this just to run to the nearest Burger King or all you can eat buffet. Which I think some recipients of any of the surgeries fool themselves that they can.

So there will never...and I do mean NEVER !!! be a so called slippery slop for me. Why didn't I do that before you ask yourself...because like many bariatric patients we turn to food for comfort and I loved my junk food. I did that. I guess I didn't have the will power. But now as fore-mentioned it's impossible for me to do so.

So some of us need a good kick in the pants.

So the only thing looming for me is a weight loss of 80lbs (to date still more to come) and a smaller waist line and smaller shirt sizes. My type 2 diabetes is back on track. I'm not about to jeopardize that for a hamburger and fries.

I thank you for the Forewarned and forearmed. And I can say Never say never. NEVER !!!!!

Eat healthy and prosper :1330_v_tone1:

11 hours ago, Introversion said:

Perhaps some professional help is needed? It's okay to be weak in the moment and admit that we may need to mobilize help to solve a problem. I wish you the best of luck. You've got this.

I thank you for your kind words. While I'm unable to overeat I'm more so eating the wrong foods. To this day if I take one bite too many I'm dumping big time. Whereas I use to eat six to seven bites and full it's about 10-12 in almost five years. I'm definitely going to talk wth my husband about counseling for me. I'm on day one of my pouch reset and hoping to conquer the next seven days.

11 hours ago, Berry78 said:

In the meantime, turn nutrition and eating into a simple, preplanned, repeatable experience until you can figure some things out.

2. The more you think about food (through tracking), the more important it is in your head... the more you think about food, the hungrier you will be

Thank you but tracking doesn't work for me with such a busy day. Even in the beginning I didn't track. I think I was more focused on losing weight not to have back surgery. Talking to others helps which I haven't done in a very long time!!

I went shopping this morning for the reset this week. So far just having the liquids the last two hours my pouch is gurgling so I'm hoping it works.

10 hours ago, Jeffrey Stern said:

Hello MsBrown76

I don't know a whole lot about the sleeve...I had the bypass. Having that procedure makes it next to if not impossible for me to over indulge. It is a shame you have gained those 20 - 25 lbs, after all that you've been through. food can be an addiction just like drugs and alcohol. People don't see that because we do need food to survive.

Here's some tough love MsBrown76. STOP IT !!!! LOL LOL Falling off the wagon is a state of mind and you know your doing it ... WHY ?? you work so hard at blaming and belittling yourself...WHY ??? Your sabotaging yourself.... why???

Yes food is like a sin to some of us ( we have all been there).... and we gravitate to medicate for something. But you have done some very positive things for yourself you have had the surgery...that's the first step and on to many other things.

Healthy food does not have to be boring nor tasteless nor a sign of punishment for being heavy. (Notice I didn't say fat) words have dramatic effects on our minds. I also stay away from the word "DIET" because it has come to be a dirty word for food deprivation and again we equate it with punishment for being weight challenged. "Only FAT people DIET" !!!

There are so many blogs and bariatric websites out there now for people like us who need to watch what we eat. Some great healthy alternatives full of flavour and a lot less calories.

A quick story for you... a friend and I had a quick lunch at a fast food court lots of junk food places and the like. I found a bowl of chili (who doesn't like chili a much healthier option) at a Tim Hortons... personally I like Wendys better (but I digress) my friend had Burger King, I so wanted to reach over and take a fry or two, but NO!...I said NO!:blink: It was tough but I felt good.

So I don't bore you anymore...keep in mind it's all in the mind and even if I don't know you... I know you have the strength to carry on. This blog has many wonderful people on it who are here to help and all know what you are going through. So keep yourself proud and happy of what you have accomplished those 20 - 25 lbs are a thing of the past and will be a small stumbling block on a road to success . EAT HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS

NO -...YES -

Yes it's a crying shame I've gained, but do know I cannot indulge it's painful and I hate vomiting. However the wrong foods add the calories and that my stuck zone. I'm so far into my head and thoughts indulging in the goodness I've overlooked what really matters, and that's the hard work and efforts it took to drop 150 pounds. Only difference now is the motivation and worth have escaped me.

Which is why I'm reaching out to the community. I know others post op four or more years can relate to my stuck zone. So yes you're right I need to stop! I just stop! It's just easier said than done. I'm still working on the why???

Great job on saying no to the fry sometimes it's extremely hard to do :/