Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hungry as a bear 4 years Post-Op

I am approaching 4 years post op for the gastric sleeve. I was nearly 300 lbs when I had the surgery and lost 135 pounds over the next year. My tummy would let me know when it was full. That was THENNN. Now, my appetite is crazy. I don't know what happened. I gained back 45-48 lbs. I was feeling pretty hopeless until 4-5 days ago. I just started going to YouTube for videos, because I am a visual learner. I have been researching Intermittent Fasting. I am an RN, but did not realize that the liver cannot metabolize stores of fat until a meal has been metabolized (this takes 10-12 hours). If I eat 3 meals a day, I will NEVER reach the 10-12 hours it takes to begin burning fat... so the Intermittent Fasting makes sense to me. Dr. Oz featured a guest last week who discussed this scenario. I have been doing the Intermittent Fasting for 4 days. (Only eating 11-7, and fasting the other 16 hours.) I have dropped 7 lbs in 4 days, and finally see possibilities opening up again. I slept late today, and fasted several hours, and when I finally did eat around supper time, I couldn't get enough. I have already cut out the bread, rice, Pasta, etc... and what I did eat (1 1/2 cups chicken with seasoned black Beans and fresh tomatoes) did not satisfy me. I added 1/2 cucumber and a peach. Still hungry. Two hours later I ate another serving of the chicken, and still wanted more. Did I damage my stomach somehow, and now it doesn't know how to feel full ? Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can feel full ?? I am going to continue to watch a YouTube video for reinforcement while I continue the Intermittent Fasting (only eating between 11-7). I suspect my Cortisol or hormone levels are off. (I am almost 60 years old). I just ordered Organifi Green juice from eBay, in the hopes of adjusting my Cortisol levels, and getting the appetite under control. I will make a new appointment with the Bariatric nutritionist as well.

one question . . . you said "tummy let you know when it was full" - I am interpreting that to mean what I am experiencing, which is a warning nausea similar to what would could happen to me say at Thanksgiving long after I already ate way too much and had light nausea and regret.

Nausea tells me to STOP. Appetite is a different drive and feeling.

Can you elaborate? Our starting weights are similar - although females and males have very different experiences on these boards.

When I have eaten too much, I feel pressure... like something is stuck in my throat.

I can rarely consume more than 1 cup of anything at one time, but have had some

bad snacking habits these past two years... little bites of food after 4 pm.

The good news is... the Intermittent Fasting is WORKING !!

I consider myself lucky to be a Faster with a gastric sleeve. Now I have two things

to help me towards my goal of 160. So far, I am still on track.

My retired neighbors are ULTRA disciplined, and do not eat a bite after 7 pm.

They also avoid pork and sometimes beef; you'd think they were in training for a marathon.

All I have to do to be considered a successful Intermittent Faster is avoid food for

12-16 hours. Some of the Fasters online stop eating at 7 pm, and then skip Breakfast

the next morning. Surely I can do this !!

Depending on your stomach to tell you that you are full is a bad idea. Weighed portions are the best way.

When you had the chicken, black Beans and tomatoes, did you eat it all together alternating bites or did you eat all the chickeb first? Try eating your dense Protein first and by itself. 4 to 6 ounces of dense protein should still fill you up, if you are eating it alone.

Do you have any GERD issues?

I have 16:8 fasted since before surgery. While it is helpful to cut out things like late night eating, you can still eat enough calories in 8 hours that you will not lose weight. Also to meet my protein goals and not get hungry, once I start eating at noon, I eat every 2 hours. I do not let myself get hungry, that creates an environment for over eating.

When is the last time you had a blood panel?

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

I am approaching 4 years post op for the gastric sleeve. I was nearly 300 lbs when I had the surgery and lost 135 pounds over the next year. My tummy would let me know when it was full. That was THENNN. Now, my appetite is crazy. I don't know what happened. I gained back 45-48 lbs. I was feeling pretty hopeless until 4-5 days ago. I just started going to YouTube for videos, because I am a visual learner. I have been researching Intermittent Fasting. I am an RN, but did not realize that the liver cannot metabolize stores of fat until a meal has been metabolized (this takes 10-12 hours). If I eat 3 meals a day, I will NEVER reach the 10-12 hours it takes to begin burning fat... so the Intermittent Fasting makes sense to me. Dr. Oz featured a guest last week who discussed this scenario. I have been doing the Intermittent Fasting for 4 days. (Only eating 11-7, and fasting the other 16 hours.) I have dropped 7 lbs in 4 days, and finally see possibilities opening up again. I slept late today, and fasted several hours, and when I finally did eat around supper time, I couldn't get enough. I have already cut out the bread, rice, Pasta, etc... and what I did eat (1 1/2 cups chicken with seasoned black Beans and fresh tomatoes) did not satisfy me. I added 1/2 cucumber and a peach. Still hungry. Two hours later I ate another serving of the chicken, and still wanted more. Did I damage my stomach somehow, and now it doesn't know how to feel full ? Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can feel full ?? I am going to continue to watch a YouTube video for reinforcement while I continue the Intermittent Fasting (only eating between 11-7). I suspect my Cortisol or hormone levels are off. (I am almost 60 years old). I just ordered Organifi Green juice from eBay, in the hopes of adjusting my Cortisol levels, and getting the appetite under control. I will make a new appointment with the Bariatric nutritionist as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app

I am approaching 4 years post op for the gastric sleeve. I was nearly 300 lbs when I had the surgery and lost 135 pounds over the next year. My tummy would let me know when it was full. That was THENNN. Now, my appetite is crazy. I don't know what happened. I gained back 45-48 lbs. I was feeling pretty hopeless until 4-5 days ago. I just started going to YouTube for videos, because I am a visual learner. I have been researching Intermittent Fasting. I am an RN, but did not realize that the liver cannot metabolize stores of fat until a meal has been metabolized (this takes 10-12 hours). If I eat 3 meals a day, I will NEVER reach the 10-12 hours it takes to begin burning fat... so the Intermittent Fasting makes sense to me. Dr. Oz featured a guest last week who discussed this scenario. I have been doing the Intermittent Fasting for 4 days. (Only eating 11-7, and fasting the other 16 hours.) I have dropped 7 lbs in 4 days, and finally see possibilities opening up again. I slept late today, and fasted several hours, and when I finally did eat around supper time, I couldn't get enough. I have already cut out the bread, rice, Pasta, etc... and what I did eat (1 1/2 cups chicken with seasoned black Beans and fresh tomatoes) did not satisfy me. I added 1/2 cucumber and a peach. Still hungry. Two hours later I ate another serving of the chicken, and still wanted more. Did I damage my stomach somehow, and now it doesn't know how to feel full ? Does anyone have a suggestion on how I can feel full ?? I am going to continue to watch a YouTube video for reinforcement while I continue the Intermittent Fasting (only eating between 11-7). I suspect my Cortisol or hormone levels are off. (I am almost 60 years old). I just ordered Organifi Green juice from eBay, in the hopes of adjusting my Cortisol levels, and

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BariatricPal mobile app

Hiii OutMatchIn, I was being a baby when I typed the original post. I started adding a tsp of high end MCT oil to my coffee, and today I had a second cup using another tsp. BIG DIFFERENCE !! I was NOT hungry once, and my Fast almost hit 21 hours. Thank You God for helping me give up my night time snacking habits. My blood panels were normal 2 months ago, although I never really know about my 3 hunger hormones, because I don't have them tested. I don't know how long I can continue on the 20:4 fast:feast schedule, but so far I am on track and my results are wonderful. I can barely eat my supper bowl tonight. I am approaching 7 days on the Intermittent Fasting, and I hit 11 lbs lost today. I know these successful results are only temporary, and that the weight loss will slow. I'm just praying that I don't get discouraged when that happens.

P.S. I am MOST impressed with your weight loss success. I, too, had the sleeve gastrectomy, although I first inquired about this site as a potential lap band patient. The woman who talked me into having this surgery had a lap band inserted in 2007, and has gained back considerable weight. She regrets she didn't wait until her insurance would cover the Sleeve.

@SusieQ_RN How are you meeting your Protein goals in a 4 hour window?

I think intermittent fasting is great for learning discipline, but long term I think only 12:12 or 16:8 are sustainable.

Go as long as you can at 20:4 then back it off to something less drastic.

Also the best way to be full and fight hunger is to eat dense protein first, alone then eat the other stuff.

I know this 20:4 routine is temporary. The fasting coach online only does the 20:4 FOUR days a week, Mon-Tues-Thurs-Fri, then eats normally with her family on weekends. (16:8 on Wed). i am trying to get to mid Sept for a couple of reunions, but realize I'll never make it on the 20:4 schedule. i need to increase my Protein immediately !!

Thanks for sharing! I'm stuck at 205 pound after losing 120 in 19 months. Nothing seems to be taking me under 200. I'm longing for onederland and reaching my goal of 160. I'll give the fasting a try. Where on YouTube did you find your info?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk