Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

No water 13 hours pre op??

Hi, my husband is having sleeve done at noon tomorrow, and he was told no Water after 10pm. It's 115 degrees here! Why must he go so long without water?!

I'm sure it's because his stomach has to be empty. I couldn't drink anything after midnight the night before my surgery. When he gets in pre op they will start IV's for his Fluid.

Hi, my husband is having sleeve done at noon tomorrow, and he was told no Water after 10pm. It's 115 degrees here! Why must he go so long without water?!

They usually say you can drink up to two hours before the surgery but check with your doctor, at least take some cool showers and chew ice cubes at least let your doc know that it's 115 degrees there I'm sure he won't want him dehydrated either.

Sent from my N9519 using BariatricPal mobile app

The doc knows, he lives here.And the nurse said no Water chips😡

I went 14 hours without Water and it was like 110 last summer. We have AC here though, so it wasn't like I sweating it out in the fields or something.

Better to not drink than end up with pneumonia because you have Fluid in your stomach and it ends up in your lungs.

Thank you all for your comments! We feel a bit better[emoji5]

Sent from my LGMS550 using BariatricPal mobile app

2 hours ago, Joe's wife said:

was told no Water after 10pm.

@Joe's wife

i wasn't allowed to drink after midnight. WLS was

7:30 in the morning. no problem not drinking)

was asleep anyways LOL) anyone having any surgery,

will be told not to drink or eat.prior to surgery, you could

vomit during surgery.:wacko:i couldn't have Water after

surgery either, in case i needed to go back into OR

they gave me swab with water on it, so that eased my

dry, dry lips

good luck to DH

i can tell you will be there with help and a smile:rolleyes:

during recovery - and the rest of his life

good luck bud

kathy

I'm liquids up to 2 hours before surgery and I'm required to drink this higher carb/sugar pre-op designed drink on my way to the hospital. Guess it helps your blood sugars and metabolic function stay more stable during surgery.

Sorry, plus I'll also add I think it's all a little BS. They do emergency surgeries on people who just ate and drank. It's just to reduce complications since it's elective and planned

11 hours ago, KateBruin said:

It's just to reduce complications

@KateBruin

the above is good enough reason for me:)(reducing complications by not drinking)

like you said " They do emergency surgeries on people who just ate or drank."

it's true - they have no choice -don't think it's a little BS being told not to drink prior

to surgery - unless BS stands for "be safe"

good luck for the rest of your healthier, happier, longer life:)

@Joe's wife

you are right many OP/insurance co.

consider WLS elective - it most definitely is not!!

i never "elected" to gain and gain weight, then lose the lbs" -

but be unable to keep the weight off:wacko:

good vibes being sent to your DH (you too of course)!

speedy recovery

kathy

It was not considered elective, but thanks

6 hours ago, Joe's wife said:

It was not considered elective, but thanks

Weight loss surgery is always elective.

That said not drinking Water for 13 hours before surgery is complete crap. And most likely means they are using some extremely outdated guidelines.

Per the most updated anesthesia guidelines (anesthesia usually makes the calls on food and drink not the surgeons, as they're the ones maintaining and responsible for the airway although the surgeons obviously have some input) you can have Clear Liquids up to two hours prior to surgery. If you have bad reflux you might want to be a little more cautious since you're higher risk especially if you have GERD or a hiatal hernia (and bariatric patients in general are higher risk for reflux)

That said I'd follow my surgeons and anesthesia guidelines since they're the ones taking care of you. But nothing to eat or drink for 13 hours is about lazy organizations not updating their guidelines and nothing else

Edited by Mhy12784

I was told nothing after midnight, my surgery was 11am the next day. Every surgery I've ever had I was told to stop eating and drinking at midnight

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

5 minutes ago, char3672 said:

I was told nothing after midnight, my surgery was 11am the next day. Every surgery I've ever had I was told to stop eating and drinking at midnight

Sent from my SM-G930T using BariatricPal mobile app

That's old lazy guidelines. My hospital had the exact same guidelines and changed them two years ago to follow the most up to date material (which is you can have clear liquids up to two hours prior). The honest answer is nothing to eat or drink after midnight is the simple and easy to remember, there's no confusion. But if a patient is having their surgery at 7 am and another at 4 pm and they're not following NPO after midnight that's a very different thing.

And the other issue you frequently have patients who get confused with the guidelines (oh I had coffee with milk this morning) (yes back coffee counts as clear liquids). I understand the logic of simplifying things as you don't want to confuse people. But the whole nothing to eat or drink after midnight is simply outdated guidelines that some are too lazy to update because they're creatures of habit