Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Weight loss doing great, but darn, I'm always hungry!!!

Thanks again to everyone in these forums for all of your posts and inspiration. Even if I don't respond often I read just about every post here and it's been very helpful for me in my journey.

I was sleeved June 12. I feel like I am doing very, very well with my weight loss (56.4 pounds since the beginning of my liquid diet and 36.4 pounds since my sleeve). I am able to walk for short periods every single day on my treadmill. When I started this journey I was unable to even stand (let alone walk) for more than a couple of minutes without being EXHAUSTED- so I can already see a difference and I am VERY grateful for the changes to my body that have already occurred.

I am towards the end of my puree phase (three more days). I have experimented with some things like eating chicken. Sometimes it's OK, sometimes it's not. It seems like the more challenging the texture, the less I can eat (this seems normal, right?). I am able to eat pureed chili from Wendy's (even though I'm not supposed to be eating Beans or red meat yet)- this is one of my favorite meals at the moment. And even though I'm not supposed to eat potatoes at all until I've lost 75% of my weight, I have gone twice to Popeye's to get just mashed potatoes. It goes down easily even though I imagine it must impede my weight loss somewhat (but I'm eating VERY small quantities...) I feel like it's better to indulge myself in very small quantities than to feel like my diet is too draconian.

I also got caught out and about without my Protein Shake (forgot it at home) so I got 4 chicken nuggets from McDonalds and handled those without any issues.

The biggest issue I face right now (and I apologize if this may sound like whining) despite my relative success is the fact that I am just about ALWAYS hungry! I was hopeful that this "honeymoon" period that was described to me in regards to the limited production of gherlin would be a little more helpful than I feel like it has been. Honestly it doesn't feel a whole lot different from the pre-op liquid diet, other than the fact that I am now physically restricted and I can't drink unlimited portions of broth or even substantial quantities of cream Soups when I feel the need to have something in large quantities.

I find myself trying to "cheat" my food scale and eat 2.5 ounces instead of 2 ounces- and my body just about always puts the kabosh on that (I have thrown up from overeating three or four times). Maybe things will be different when my quantities are up to 4 ounces of Protein and I can eat some vegetables or something- but right now it is psychologically difficult. I feel pretty sure that I am a food addict (specifically carbs) and I realize the psychological component of this is strong for me, but it feels so weird and is so difficult for me to reckon that my pouch is full when my head feels it hasn't even begun the meal yet!!! (and yes, I'm eating as slowly and in as small of a quantity as I can!)

Does anyone else who went through this have any tips for me? Like I said, I follow the rules mostly because my body won't really let me break them at the moment, but it's not easy.

Thanks for listening and sorry for the whining. Best of luck to you all in your journey!

Are you on an acid reducer like omeprazole/protonix? In many of us stomach acid can feel just like hunger early out, it did for me! None of the acidy heartburn just a gnawing hunger sensation that went away when my acid medication was properly adjusted.

If you aren't on one ask your doc for one or try an over the counter one. Or see about an increased dose.

I am on one, but I'll see about increasing the dosage. Thanks!

Actually I'm on Famotidine (Pepcid)- is that something different?

@gwbicster

Honestly reading about what you posted, you don't sound physically hungry. You are giving into a lot of head hunger. If you were just hungry Protein Shakes would satisfy you. You are eating fast food and things you know you are not allowed. That is head hunger.

Do you have a therapist?

I was sleeved June 22. I'm still in the pureed stage. I've had problems finding foods that agree with me. I hate broth and cream Soups I've mostly lived on oikos triple zero Greek yogurt it has 15 grams Protein and I found some awesome protein milks at publix called Rockin refuel it has 30 grams protein. But started getting burned out. Now my favorite go to that agrees with me is cheerios. I put about 1/2 cup in fat free (skim) milk and add 1 packet of splenda.you can add some unflavored Protein Powder. Just let the Cereal sit in milk it soft and chew it up good. It has really helped me. It's low fat and only has 1 gram sugar. I've lost 35 lbs since surgery so it's working for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using BariatricPal mobile app

@OutsideMatchInside

No I do not. Sounds like I need to find one.

I think you are eating too many carbs and that will fuel cravings and hunger. If you eat Protein first and then non-starchy veggies you won't have room for carbs.

If you are a carb addict you may need to avoid them all together.

I have been listening to Dr. Matthew Weiner on YouTube. He has some very good videos. In one of his videos he talks about long term successful WLS patients and he makes some very good points. He said that if we rely on Portion Control without changing the types of foods we eat or our relationship with food, we will start to regain weight after 1 year.

He said WLS patients should not be eating fast food. I think he even said people who think they can eat the same way they used to, but just less, are mistaken.

I just thought I would share this because I think it may be helpful if you watch some of his videos. I know they have helped me.

I'm happy that you reached out and posted openly about what's been going on for you. We've all struggled with the same issues. I don't want to sound like I have it all figured out, because I still have to fight old habits and urges every day, but here is my best advice......... Use these short few months right after surgery to radically change your relationship with food. You can be moderate later on when you are at or near goal. The new habits you make now will be a lifesaver when you are further down the road and your body lets you eat a lot more.

Have a plan for each meal ahead of time - don't get caught in a situation where you have no good choices. It is ok to do whatever you need to do in any situation, like bringing food with you, or turning down food that others have made. LOL, even if it is your favorite aunt and she made it "just for you".

When you get to solids, always focus on Protein first. Stay away from bread, Pasta, rice, potatoes while you are losing - they trigger cravings, get digested way too fast and use up too much valuable real estate in your stomach.

Pay attention to the no drinking after eating rule. Not because of rumors that it can stretch out your stomach - that has been debunked. But rather because liquids will wash food out of your stomach and you want to keep that full and satisfied feeling as long as you can.

It is ok to be hungry in between meals. I used to be so afraid of being hungry and was amazed to learn that it goes away if you ignore it for like 10 minutes or so. I tell myself that it is ok and that I will eat again in X hours at my next meal.

Log and track your food and measure out your portions on a food scale. I use my tracker for today only, to see how I am doing towards my daily goals - and then I never look at it again. I get crazy in the head when I try to do long term tracking. Whatever works for you.

Best of luck on your journey!! I am rooting for you.

I have a markerboard in my kitchen that I use to tell me what to consume each day. I'm over 3 months out, so my foods look different then they did back in purees. But this concept of eating the same thing each day helps so much with planning, shopping, etc.. takes the stress right out of all of it.

I eat Beans, but not potatoes. Beans have Protein, potatoes don't. Pretty much everything is a serving size of 4oz.

Preop, I ate out all the time. Now that I've developed a system, I don't need or want to anymore. (And when I do, I just get a cup of soup).

1499623505945-39577378.jpg

Oh, and you might want to go on a PPI for acid...

I have to agree that it's head hunger or too many carbs or acid. Little changes can make a big difference. For instance, switch the nuggets for a grilled chicken sandwich and take it off the bun. You won't finish it but you're missing the breading that's on the nuggets. Stay away from the mashed potatoes and go for mashed cauliflower or Greek yogurt. The thing is, if we don't change our relationship with food, down the road you'll be able to eat all the nuggets plus fries. So practice making good choices now. Even though it's just a little bit of food it won't be eventually. It won't always be so draconian and you want to take advantage of this short window where it's easier to drop the lbs
Ok, but that's not really what you asked specifically. Yes, I've gone through this. I'm only seven weeks out but it's already much easier. It's become more normal to eat tiny amounts and not miss big meals. I've made myself physically ill once. I don't doubt that I'll do it again down the road. My advice is to find a therapist who specifically deals with Bariatric patients.
Congrats on your phenomenal weight loss though. That's amazing!

Is what I'm taking (Fatomidine) a PPI or do I have to take something additionally?

Also, is Wendy's chili really that bad? Granted I'm not supposed to eat Beans and ground beef until next week, but it's 300 calories (which I usually split into 4 meals) and I was under the impression it wasn't a horrible choice.

Yes the McNuggets were more a one time, emergency choice. I hadn't thought about the breading. I could have also gotten a grilled chicken sandwich and thrown stuff away. It's hard for me to think like that. As well as being a glutton, I was also taught that throwing food away is a sin (people starving in India, etc.)

I understand that the mashed potatoes were a no-no (even though I added Protein powder). I won't be doing that again.

Also for whoever made the point about waiting the full 30 minutes (or more) to drink liquids (I struggle with this) I hadn't considered the point about washing away the food. Nobody has mentioned this to me before. Makes a ton of sense.

Thank all you guys for your help. I'm sure some of the stuff I brought up makes a lot of you just roll your eyes, and I'm a little embarrassed, but I'm thankful for your loving critique which has (already) helped a lot.

Thank you!