Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months in the hospital

My brother in.law is in the hospital 5 months, he lost half a lung, leaks, bleeding, now pneumonia. Pensacola. Florida doctors are the worst doctors in the United States of America

I wanted to share the story I want people who experienced anything like this to know that you're not alone and two beware

What's the story Deb? Any procedure done in a healthcare setting has risks involved. Medicine, by it's very nature, is experimental and not guaranteed.

Oh no! I'm so sorry to hear about your brother's complications :( Hope he gets to feeling better soon!

14 hours ago, Debedeb said:

My brother in.law is in the hospital 5 months, he lost half a lung, leaks, bleeding, now pneumonia. Pensacola. Florida doctors are the worst doctors in the United States of America

I wanted to share the story I want people who experienced anything like this to know that you're not alone and two beware

My prayers to you and your family.

Sadly, it seems tgey send him out before tge stomach heals, he has been to many hospitals, many procedures, much medication. Part of his lung removed from the leak, and draining, more surgeries...etc...

I am looking for hope, someone simular, who can share. Can anyone relate? The numbers of complications are increasing everyday.

A friend of mine two years out has bleeding and now in the hospital. I hope most refuse to do this surgery. It isn't worth the risk! Blessings

51 minutes ago, Debedeb said:

I hope most refuse to do this surgery. It isn't worth the risk!

Which surgery did your brother have? I'm assuming it was the gastric plication since you posted this thread in the gastric plication forum.

I am sorry for what happened to your brother. May expedient healing and a swift recovery arrive in his direction as soon as humanly possible.

Any surgery entails risks. For most of us who have chosen to undergo weight loss surgery, the risks associated with remaining obese and miserable weren't worth it.

Less than 1 percent of those who undergo bariatric surgery suffer from major complications. To place it into perspective, 1 out of 100 people who have weight loss surgery experience major complications.

Nonetheless, since people who experience bad outcomes tend to be the most vocal and outspoken, it makes it seem like bariatric surgery is riskier than it really is. After all, few people run to an internet forum to proclaim, "I had an uncomplicated recovery with minimal pain! I lost 100+ pounds and kept it off! I have no regrets and am pleased with the outcome! My life has changed for the better because of weight loss surgery!"

The vast majority (read: those who had good outcomes) move on with their lives, whereas the vocal minority blow the risks tremendously out of proportion. It's called negativity bias.

Edited by Introversion

It's one nice thing about this board, that we do hear all sorts of stories. The terrible, and the beautiful. Each of us has our own story.. leading up to the surgery, as well as after.

I hope your brother in law knew that, as with any surgery, complications were possible. They are relatively infrequent, but ultimately that doesn't matter when it is YOU that is sick (and it sounds like he got the absolute short end of the stick :( ).

I don't know how much you know about the process of weight loss surgery, but this type of surgery is reserved for people that are at least 100lbs overweight, and either are, or are likely to suffer health consequences from their obesity. Surgery is a last resort when diet and exercise haven't produced the desired long-term results. There is usually a 6 month diet, psychological testing, physical testing, nutritional counseling, psychotherapy, etc. It's a BIG deal to meet all the requirements to even qualify for the procedure, so chances are very good that your brother in law knew how big a procedure it was, before going under the knife.

Me personally, I was pretty much at the end of my youthful, useful life. My health was on a downhill slope that wasn't going to end well. I HAD to leave the dangerous path I was on, and I was willing to risk my life to do so. I think most everyone that has this surgery would say the same thing.

Again, I'm so sorry to hear about your brother, and I hope that the doctors can fix him up! As long as there is breath, there is hope.

Troll alert!

6453834.jpg

Edited by Ldyvenus

3 minutes ago, Joann454 said:

I am curious why she posted in the plication and sleeve forums. Which surgery did he have?

Yep. I'm waiting for her to return to answer this burning question. Did he have a band, sleeve, plication, bypass, or duodenal switch? Was it a virgin procedure or a revision?

There are too many unanswered questions.

That is aVery Rude comment. Looking forHope, Notidiots. I am in the hospital, i-ernet is not great. I Reported that comment , do not respond again.

I'm sorry about the other responses you've gotten. We frequently have people come onto the board, looking to stir up trouble, and sometimes we mix up the honest folk and the troublemakers.

It's hard to quite tell what happened to your brother in law, other than it sounds like he got a leak, and these other complications came from that. Leaks are pretty much our worst nightmares, because they ARE so dangerous.

There used to be someone that posted here that had leaks. He ended up with a complete gastrectomy (where they simply remove the entire stomach and attach the intestine to the esophagus). He recovered really well, and was able to resume a normal life.

There are several different types of weight loss surgeries, so we've been wondering what type your BIL had.

Pneumonia can be very dangerous, so I know how worried you must be. (My own father died from it). The best thing you can do right now is try and be upbeat and positive around him. Hopefully he can still appreciate a good joke and smiling faces. Just try and feel out the situation to see what will make him the most comfortable.