Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

6 months in the hospital

Sorry but being two weeks out and staying positive even though I'm nervous this post keeps popping up at the top of my feed and it's SUPER Irritating. Sorry your family member had a complication from a surgery but why come in here and freak people out. What are you expecting to get out of it? Your not offering any info that would need a response from anybody us so go talk to some Doctors about his specific complications. Your here just telling us they should ban the surgery when obviously many of us have and are Benefitting from this surgery. What is your goal here? People are showing you links to the stats showing how safe this surgery is in comparison to other surgeries. We obviously know the risks when we do elective surgery. Enough already. Jeez. Did I mention I'm still in full liquid stage and a bit grumpy.

Sorry but being two weeks out and staying positive even though I'm nervous this post keeps popping up at the top of my feed and it's SUPER Irritating. Sorry your family member had a complication from a surgery but why come in here and freak people out. What are you expecting to get out of it? Your not offering any info that would need a response from anybody us so go talk to some Doctors about his specific complications. Your here just telling us they should ban the surgery when obviously many of us have and are Benefitting from this surgery. What is your goal here? People are showing you links to the stats showing how safe this surgery is in comparison to other surgeries. We obviously know the risks when we do elective surgery. Enough already. Jeez. Did I mention I'm still in full liquid stage and a bit grumpy.

I totally agree with you. She should take the problems elsewhere and considering it's not her life let him speak lol we don't want to know I want to see positive things because its a positive life change for everyone it's a tad dramatic but anyway.

Sent from my A1601 using BariatricPal mobile app

If Debedeb is looking for some assistance, we should be able to give it to her. But sadly, I'm not sure that is what she is trying to accomplish. I think, in her own way, she is trying to either warn us of the dangers or warn us off. But I know for a fact most of us did the research prior to the surgery, and we are/were well aware of the risks. We all know this isn't the EASY way out, that all surgeries have complications, and this is a tough road. Many of us are pre-op and this is the site we go to learn of the dangers, pitfalls, etc. For those of us post op, it is for support, advice, and camaraderie. I think most of us here are happy with the choices we made or are making, so I think her words will be a lone voice in an otherwise sea of guidance and support.

And NikkiWorldJourney, hang in there! Mushy pureed food is a'coming! It will taste like heaven, surprisingly. Good luck!

On 7/9/2017 at 1:51 PM, Debedeb said:

In my very respectful opinion, this surgery should be outlawed. It is way to dangerous.

I read your comment and thought... Really!!! Outlawed. Sooooo Should heart surgery, gallbladder, liver, lung, appendix .... etc Surgery be outlawed too... they are far more "dangerous" than this....

I had the Lapband done in 2009 and had tremendous success, even though people said how dangerous it was. I did my research and felt at the time it was my best option. I never regretted it for a single day. My worse day was in march when i got sick and was violently throwing up and slipped my band and had to have her removed.

You came here, what i'm assuming, was to look for help..... But, you really never asked a question. Instead all you accomplished was to try and scare people into NOT having the WLS done. But what you fail to see is that WE are all adults, and have done our research. We know what's best for us... and no one and there "scare-tactics" will change that.

You would have done a lot better had you come here and said the COMPLETE story and then asked if any one has experienced this. I can only tell you what i have seen over 8 years of coming here.

Yes, there have been cases where the DR messed up and caused some terrible issues (very few)..... But, what i see more is people having any of the WLS and going home, starving and eating. This is the #1 problem... people thinking that they can eat normal food like burgers the next day....... UHHHH NOOOOO this is why there are guidelines and rules to follow.

My guess, your BIL (not knowing the whole story) did just that... causing the stomach to rupture and leak. Because i know of not 1 person that ever left the hospital with out doing a swallow test to make sure everything was working right.

2 minutes ago, bayougirlmrsc said:

I had the Lapband done in 2009 and had tremendous success, even though people said how dangerous it was. I did my research and felt at the time it was my best option. I never regretted it for a single day. My worse day was in march when i got sick and was violently throwing up and slipped my band and had to have her removed.

You came here, what i'm assuming, was to look for help..... But, you really never asked a question. Instead all you accomplished was to try and scare people into NOT having the WLS done. But what you fail to see is that WE are all adults, and have done our research. We know what's best for us... and no one and there "scare-tactics" will change that.

You would have done a lot better had you come here and said the COMPLETE story and then asked if any one has experienced this. I can only tell you what i have seen over 8 years of coming here.

Yes, there have been cases where the DR messed up and caused some terrible issues (very few)..... But, what i see more is people having any of the WLS and going home, starving and eating. This is the #1 problem... people thinking that they can eat normal food like burgers the next day....... UHHHH NOOOOO this is why there are guidelines and rules to follow.

My guess, your BIL (not knowing the whole story) did just that... causing the stomach to rupture and leak. Because i know of not 1 person that ever left the hospital with out doing a swallow test to make sure everything was working right.

I was forced to have TWO swallow tests due to esophageal swelling in my throat. Everyone has to have one, you're right.

@DianeJarrett.... This is why i'm leaning to the fact that the BIL didn't do what he was suppose to do.... ate too fast after WLS and ruptured his stomach.

@bayougirlmrsc, absolutely possible. Whatever the case, hopefully, he will recover. We all know the rules and those that don't follow them suffer the consequences. Forced Portion Control.

*Yawn*

Every few weeks/months someone comes with some horor story with no real back up. Just trolling.

Oddly when you read people that post that really have bad complications, with the exception being that lady from the UK that is miserable, they are still happy with the results in the long run, even with complications.

The laws in Florida however are perfect for quacks to set up shop there and butcher people with little recourse. I would never have any kind of medical procedure in Florida unless i was literally bleeding out from like a Jet-skiing accident or something.

I hope your brother gets we'll soon. I'll keep him in my prayers.

On 7/13/2017 at 0:57 PM, OutsideMatchInside said:

*Yawn*

Every few weeks/months someone comes with some horor story with no real back up. Just trolling.

Oddly when you read people that post that really have bad complications, with the exception being that lady from the UK that is miserable, they are still happy with the results in the long run, even with complications.

The laws in Florida however are perfect for quacks to set up shop there and butcher people with little recourse. I would never have any kind of medical procedure in Florida unless i was literally bleeding out from like a Jet-skiing accident or something.

Eh, I just sit back and eat some cucumber like it was popcorn and watch people play their game. Although, there was someone here in Texas, who went in for WLS and ended up losing both legs. Dr.Kim, no way!

Sadly, the story being told here. False!

On 7/11/2017 at 10:16 AM, bayougirlmrsc said:

@DianeJarrett.... This is why i'm leaning to the fact that the BIL didn't do what he was suppose to do.... ate too fast after WLS and ruptured his stomach.

Wait, that can actually happen? O.o

More trolls up here trying to sell the surgery because it's a big time money maker trying to make out a horror stories to be not such a big deal. It is a big deal I've talked and done research and most everybody I've talked to that's had the surgery wish they had not done it. You have no nothing to back up what you just said. 6 out of 10 people are unhappy with the surgery if it isn't from complications it's from other things. Truth is the most important

Tell this troll the backup that we're trolls. the concern person related to a patient and many people that I'm researching who are unhappy with the surgery. People who have eaten and their stomach burst open, people who have died from septic infections , some people who have lost half a lung due to leaks, should I go on? because I could go on forever and ever and ever with a complaints of this surgery. And the number one complaint is they don't have energy and life is not worth living after the surgery . Quality of life is gone . If you survive it You always got a troll out there trying to sell stuff for money your life don't matter to them

Edited by Debedeb

More trolls up here trying to sell the surgery because it's a big time money maker trying to make out a horror stories to be not such a big deal. It is a big deal I've talked and done research and most everybody I've talked to that's had the surgery wish they had not done it. You have no nothing to back up what you just said. 6 out of 10 people are unhappy with the surgery if it isn't from complications it's from other things. Truth is the most important

Do you have the data to back up this statistic? 6 out of 10? Bull.