Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have an event the day after surgery- will I feel up to going?

Hi everyone! I finally decided to get the sleeve and I'm so excited! I scheduled it for a Friday and have an overnight stay. Will I be able to take my daughter out for about 3 hours? She has dance auditions the day after my surgery and I really need to be there. My hudband will drive me and all I'll do is sit there and encourage her on breaks. Am I crazy to think this is possible? I REALLY don't want to postpone for 4 weeks later.

thanks everyone! Look forward to sharing my journey and encouraging everyone on their journey as well!

Based on my experience, I would say yes. I had my surgery out of state so I had to ride in a car for 4 hours and I was fine sitting in the car. The hospital did make sure they gave me Percocet and an anti-nausea before I left. You may want to have those on hand.

It would be possible. Chances are your energy will be very low....I found that I slept most of that day. Would you be able to take a nap in the car between sessions? Just build in some options for yourself.

This is a case of can and should. You probably can, but you shouldn't. You are having MAJOR surgery. Just because they don't cut you wide open doesn't mean it is not major. You are having 85% of a major organ removed, and they are cutting through muscle to get to it. You need to rest.

You are going to be exhausted, but you can probably be there, if you don't mind acting like Bernie in Weekend at Bernie's.

There is nothing wrong with recovering and taking care of yourself.

There is NO way that I could have done anything like that the day after surgery. By Day 3 post-op, I was feeling better enough to take a walk outside, but the day after was pure hell and I did good to walk up and down the hallway of my building a few times a day.

I couldn't have done it. The ride home from the hospital was tough (over an hour away) and I couldn't stand up straight. Walking was uncomfortable for a couple of days. I also was so very tired.

Thanks for everyone's input. My daughter just turned 7 and this is such a big day for her, so I'll go ahead and reschedule the surgery. I know its just a 4 week delay but I am soooo ready!

Sounds like a plan...

It's possible but you would be very uncomfortable. I think it's better to prioritize your recovery and self care and just rest. I agree with the above comment about 3 days. At three days I was able to push myself a little more.

I think rescheduling is a good option. I was actually in the hospital for 2 days and just getting home was a fete. It was a good week before I felt like I was really getting back to myself.

As long has someone else will be driving then the answer is yes. I went to Home Depot, Target, Walmart, BJ's and Petsmart within 30 minutes of being released. Granted I was uncomfortable and rode around in the scooters but I would say yes. Just make sure someone else is driving. You may still feel a little out of it due to all the pain killers they provide you with.

The first day for me was hell utter hell I had trouble breathing because it hurt to breathe due to the hiatal hernia repair they often do too. Then the following day I was a million times better but so tired. I was completely exhausted and so very nauseous. I had to pee like every 30 minutes but otherwise the day after I felt fabulous. The only reason I say don't beyond the whole major surgery you need rest but you have surgical wounds. And public places have a lot of bacteria. You'll be increasing your chances of infection. And you have to eat every two hours. So if you do still go, be sure you have the appropriate foods available and Water. I suggest a medicine cup to control portions.

Sent from my XT1585 using BariatricPal mobile app

Everyone heals differently, and reacts to anesthesia differently. Based on my personal experience I would say that it's possible, but I would say that you are going to feel drained, and may or may not be working out gas the abdominal inflation during surgery. Also, you'll need to make sure there is a way for you to get up and walk during as you will want to do this periodically throughout the day...very important.

But honestly, aside from just wanting to stay in your PJ's I can't think of any reason you couldn't do there what you'll need to do at home anyway (as long as there's room to walk). I did sleep quite a bit for the first 2 days after surgery. Not much in terms of food, so energy remained low. Best of luck!

Thanks for the feedback! I contacted the surgery coordinator to see if I could have it done any earlier. I have to be at her auditions and coherent enough to give her a pep talk, etc., but really don't want to push it back a month! Fingers crossed!!

Reschedule. There is no need to add that stress to your life. You are going to have a lot going on...if the discharge is delayed or if you have a complication it sounds like you would be focused on missing the time with your daughter. I hope everything works out and the schedule comes together.
For me...i wanted to have surgery after my Suez Canal cruise that was more than a year of planning.
Waiting a few extra weeks was worth my mental health and lack of regrets.

Sent from my SM-G920V using BariatricPal mobile app