Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am one week post op sleeve. Need help with Protein and Vitamins. The online support group my nurse told me acts like Inspire is the only kind to drink~ like they swear by it. It seems pricey for such a small bag. Does anyone here drink it? Is it worth the money? And their 3+3 vitamins? My dietician says to take Centrum chewable and 6 calcium citrate

Also have a friend who says nectar is just as good not as expensive. Help can't choose.

I never could find a Protein I liked with my lapband so I didn't drink it and suffered the results with my hair. Wanting to improve with my sleeve so it helps my hair.

Thanks for the help I have so much to learn

I am getting to the point where I truly believe if you asked 100 different surgeons, you would have 100 different answers to this question. Well, maybe more depending on whom you asked in the office!

So, to answer your question, I would always say the safest route is to follow what the Surgeon recommended. I know this is kind of a cop out, but if you want to be in compliance, then I seriously would consider using what they tell you to use. I was directed to use only Unjury, or Isopure. I used both, they were fine, my guess is any other legit Protein maker would have been fine as well. Legit being defined as one that has at least 20g of protein per serving, and is not filled with sugar. Also excluding GENEPRO here, I hate to even list that product in a post, but just in case someone tells you to use it. Search the forum if you want to know why.

As for the Vitamins, this is even more important than the protein when it comes to following your surgeon's guidelines. Obviously you will need higher doses of vitamins than non-bariatric users to make up for what you are missing. If you want to use a different brand than what your doctor recommends, just do a nutritional label check and make sure they have the same amounts of vitamins. Of course, not all vitamins are created equal either, even if they say they have the same Daily Value percentage. So, once again, especially in the beginning, stick to what the surgeon recommended.

Congrats on your first steps in this journey. I wish you many successes in the future!!

I am getting to the point where I truly believe if you asked 100 different surgeons, you would have 100 different answers to this question. Well, maybe more depending on whom you asked in the office!
So, to answer your question, I would always say the safest route is to follow what the Surgeon recommended. I know this is kind of a cop out, but if you want to be in compliance, then I seriously would consider using what they tell you to use. I was directed to use only Unjury, or Isopure. I used both, they were fine, my guess is any other legit Protein maker would have been fine as well. Legit being defined as one that has at least 20g of protein per serving, and is not filled with sugar. Also excluding GENEPRO here, I hate to even list that product in a post, but just in case someone tells you to use it. Search the forum if you want to know why.
As for the Vitamins, this is even more important than the protein when it comes to following your surgeon's guidelines. Obviously you will need higher doses of vitamins than non-bariatric users to make up for what you are missing. If you want to use a different brand than what your doctor recommends, just do a nutritional label check and make sure they have the same amounts of vitamins. Of course, not all vitamins are created equal either, even if they say they have the same Daily Value percentage. So, once again, especially in the beginning, stick to what the surgeon recommended.
Congrats on your first steps in this journey. I wish you many successes in the future!!

I did buy the genpro. Can you explain why it's bad?

premier protein

Sent from my SM-N920V using BariatricPal mobile app

1 hour ago, faithmel said:

Because they are being sued, and because a tablespoon holds 15g of dry weight, but they claim it is equal to 30g of Protein. So not liking their math.

https://www.law360.com/articles/865678/protein-powder-maker-accuses-rival-of-false-advertising

For the first 3 months I really liked Premier Protein. Just burned out on it now.

The three most important elements after RNY gastric bypass surgery are to meet your daily Protein, Fluid and Vitamin requirements. food is secondary because your body is converting your stored fat into the energy that drives your body. Thus you lose weight.

Weight loss is achieved after surgery through meal volume control. You begin at 2 ounces (1/4 cup) per meal and gradually over the next year and a half increase the volume to 1 cup per meal. With this minuscule amount of food, it is next to impossible to meet your protein daily requirements by food alone, so therefore you need to rely on supplements such as Protein Shakes.

There are many different types of formulations on protein shakes. I would recommend that you keep experimenting until you find one that you can tolerate. You don't have to like it, just tolerate it. I used Muscle Milk Light (Vanilla Creme) powder blended with Water and a half a banana. That worked for me. But on the opposite end of the spectrum, you might try premixed Isopure.

Generally with Vitamins you have a wide selection. I had RNY gastric bypass whereas you had the sleeve. I have significantly more vitamins to take than you. My general guidelines were:

Vitamin chemistry is important for absorption. Calcium supplements should be calcium citrate. There are also different chemistries of B12. I use the sublingual B12 and was told to use methylcobalamin. You cannot use a time-release version of B12. If you are taking Iron supplements, it must be ferrous sulfate for the best absorption. gummy vitamins are not absorbed properly and should be avoided. It is important to put a 2 hour separation between the vitamins that contain iron and those that contain calcium.

Navagating wilderness, I want to know if YOU know that BARIATRICPAL sells GENOPRO at their store. If it was not a good product don't you think they wouldn't be selling it. You have very strong opinions about this, I don't understand why. I wish you a happy day!!

4 hours ago, faithmel said:

I just typed down below that the BariatricPal Store sells GENEPRO!! If it was so bad do you think they would sell it to their customers. There has been many discussions on this. But...I have used it and I love it. I think you should first ask the people that run this program and ask them all about it. Sometimes people get carried away because they believe they are right so investagate please!!

4 hours ago, Navigating the Wilderness said:

So, to answer your question, I would always say the safest route is to follow what the Surgeon recommended. I know this is kind of a cop out, but if you want to be in compliance, then I seriously would consider using what they tell you to use. I was directed to use only unjury, or Isopure. I used both, they were fine, my guess is any other legit Protein maker would have been fine as well. Legit being defined as one that has at least 20g of Protein per serving, and is not filled with sugar. Also excluding GENEPRO here, I hate to even list that product in a post, but just in case someone tells you to use it. Search the forum if you want to know why.

As for the Vitamins, this is even more important than the protein when it comes to following your surgeon's guidelines. Obviously you will need higher doses of Vitamins than non-bariatric users to make up for what you are missing. If you want to use a different brand than what your doctor recommends, just do a nutritional label check and make sure they have the same amounts of vitamins. Of course, not all vitamins are created equal either, even if they say they have the same Daily Value percentage. So, once again, especially in the beginning, stick to what the surgeon recommended.

You know I have went to your suggested site about GENEPRO being sued and if you don't join the site you can't even read about it.

1 minute ago, Sherrie Scharbrough said:

If it was so bad do you think they would sell it to their customers.

Absolutely they would. This is a business, they will sell anything they can legitimately make money on. I stand by my opinion that it should be avoided, but if your surgeon agrees with it, go for it. I'm glad you have had success with it!

Just now, Navigating the Wilderness said:

Absolutely they would. This is a business, they will sell anything they can legitimately make money on. I stand by my opinion that it should be avoided, but if your surgeon agrees with it, go for it. I'm glad you have had success with it!

OK I am going to drop this now. I have talked to the ADMIT and was told that it is LEEGIT. I don't know but I think we are at a stand still on our opinions. Have a great day

I googled "Genpro Protein lawsuit" and the first hit I got was to a Forbes article--it didn't mention genpro, I don't think, but did go into some detail about the issues with many protein powders having misleading labeling. I don't have an opinion either way about this--I just believe in doing research.

Jesus, the "discussion" about GENEPRO just won't go away. Sherrie in particular appears to love bringing this topic up for discussion. Here is a recent thread of hers about it:

If you were do do a search of this forum for Genepro, you would find 1,583 results.(Genpro returns 112). There is nothing new that can be said of this. In the company's own words:

This process allows for immediate absorption/uptake into the system which bypasses the intestinal digestive system by 94% (compare this to whey isolate that has an absorption rate of only 31% - making GENEPRO more than three times more effective than any other Protein on the market).

They are saying their 10g of special protein is equivalent to 30g whey.

Genepro is not backed by science but marketing.