Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Almost at goal… New hair loss?

We all know that one of the effects of the surgery for weight loss is possible hormonal and thyroid and balance that causes Hair loss. Like many people, I started losing my hair several months after my surgery and continued losing it pretty steadily for 6+ months. My hair was fine to begin with, and so this breakage and thinning has really affected my self-esteem.

I'm down over 150 pounds now and very close to my goal weight. So close, that I am starting to look into plastic surgeons to correct skin issues that are creating physical pain for me.

I'm over a year and a half out from surgery now, and all of a sudden my hair has started to come out again. The weirdest part of it is that this is following a dream in which I developed a huge bald patch on my head. Yesterday in the shower I almost cried after shampooing my hair and seeing my fingers covered in hair that was falling out of my head. It's very upsetting.

Has anybody else had a new cycle of hair loss start very late in the game?

Have your labs done. Low Vitamin D or low Iron can make your hair fall out.

I don't think Vitamins have anything to do with it. I have been taking my vitamins daily and Protein since day 1 and my hair still thinned out.

I have been taking Vitamins the whole time. I still ended up with Low Vitamin D and Low Iron. Having low vitamin D and Iron will make your hair fall out.

The first place to start with Hair loss is checking your vitamin levels.

My team cannot provide a reason for the Hair loss. It varies, but I agree check your levels or just try taking another supplement for the hair loss.

Let me be clear. I am specifically replying to @JupiterinVirgo and her specific situation because she is almost 2 years from surgery, almost at goal, and her Hair loss from post-op had previously stopped.

Which means her hair loss is not surgery related and is not because of a massive hormone dump, because at this point her weight loss is very slow. So the issue is Vitamin deficiency or something else (stress). Since her hair loss had stopped but it now picking up.

If you are less than a year from surgery, this doesn't apply to you. Your hair loss is surgery, massive weight loss related.

Long term you still have to have your Vitamins checked on a regular basis even if you are taking them regularly, because sometimes adjustments are needed.

@JupiterinVirgo you should have posted this in the Vets forum

Edited by OutsideMatchInside

On 7/5/2017 at 9:38 AM, OutsideMatchInside said:

Have your labs done. Low Vitamin D or low Iron can make your hair fall out.

Also, a zinc deficiency can cause the hair to become thin and/or fall out:

Because Hair growth depends on normal cellular reproduction and protein-building, a deficiency of zinc can lead to hair shedding or Hair loss.

https://www.nutrafol.com/blog/zinc-for-hair-growth/

I assume you would have mentioned it, but have you started birth control or a new medication?

Both have made me lose hair in huge quantities in the past. Otherwise, hormones are probably the culprit, as previously suggested.

I'm so sorry for you. I've endured this three times in my life. No fun. I hope you figure it out.

Cheri

I had this problem recently myself. I am almost to years out of surgery and just a few pounds from goal/normal BMI. About six weeks ago I had a dream that I had a bald spot on the top of my head. A few days later I got my period and my hair started to fall out again. Hormones and thyroid play a big part in Hair loss despite the myth that this is normal after weight-loss surgery. When they say that, what they mean is it happens to many patients but it is definitely not normal. It shows that there is an in balance in the body that needs to be addressed in your surgeon will not address it.

Thank you all so much for your feedback on this issue. I definitely think I probably have low Iron and maybe some other nutritional deficiencies. I will get it checked out!