Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was the biggest surprise for you at or after surgery? What do you wish you had known?

I am most surprised that even though I'm heavier (surgery weight was 284) I'm not losing big numbers like a lot of others. My weight loss each week has been consistently 2.3-3 lbs a week but no huge losses. I'm also most surprised at how scared I am to try new sizes and how slow going down sizes has been. I am happy with my choice to have VSG but I'm surprised that I'm actually regretting not doing the original procedure I wanted (SADI-S) and didn't do because I had surgery in Mexico and wasn't comfortable have that type of surgery and not having my surgeon local. Lastly I'm a lot angrier since having surgery lol... my patience is a lot thinner and I just can't handle BS like I could before which is partially a good thing since before surgery I was a doormat and let everyone walk all over me and take advantage of my niceness so I'm hoping with my lack of patience now that I'll stand up for myself more and not let people use me.

I am also losing 2-3lbs a week, but although "slow", it's relatively steady, and I'm so happy with how much better my body feels. Sure, I'm not changing sizes every week, but that's ok.. less expensive that way! Lol.

Before surgery, I would be talking along, and the least bit of strong emotion would make me tear up. I mean, I'd be talking about how beautiful that rainbow I saw was.. or something equally stupid to cry over. And it was happening ALL. THE. TIME. Several times EVERY DAY. This problem has gotten so much better! I think it's only happened once in the last month!! Makes me wonder what was causing it.. hormonal imbalance, blood sugar issues.. I dunno, but am grateful the surgery seems to have fixed it.

My skin has gotten much better! I started my period today, and I barely had any warning.. a couple clogged pores maybe. I used to know for several days in advance because my skin would go nuts (like 20 zits) and I would get ANGRY. Aunt flo kinda sneaks up on me now! Lol.

Yesterday my hubby took a selfie with us together (first one ever I think! Lol!).. I saw my face on that camera screen, and couldn't believe my eyes.. for so long, I've had a puffy, embarrassing visage, and now I look like a young, vibrant woman!! I even puffed out my cheeks in one, because the sensation was so strange! (My hubby mentioned that I was "aging backwards"!)

How easy its been. I was sleeved on July 14 and have not had any real pain. Only issue has been with some Vitamins made me a bit nauseous, but once I tried the gummy's no issue. I can drink normally and eat with no problems. I am down 21 pounds since surgery day.

So far? Frankly I'm amazed I have no pain, no nausea and, in fact, am having to remind myself I've had major surgery. I suspect I had an amazing clinical team in my corner.

How easy its been. I was sleeved on July 14 and have not had any real pain. Only issue has been with some Vitamins made me a bit nauseous, but once I tried the gummy's no issue. I can drink normally and eat with no problems. I am down 21 pounds since surgery day.

Can you share which gummy vitamins you are taking?

I haven't heard a bunch of babies complain about a surgery since I had to have my stomach completely opened up to remove my uterus which is a major surgery. I hardly had any pain I had my leak test done by my Dr. during surgery. You have gotten the wls that we all wanted so badly and everyone's complaining like they didn't know what to expect. I know a bunch of people will think this is negative but if you read these statements you will see what I mean. Get up and exercise and start working it guys or you just wasted your time and your drs time. Sorry but I had to say it no one else was gonna. Quit being a bunch of whiney babies and become the warriors you are meant to be.

Sent from my N9519 using BariatricPal mobile app

5 minutes ago, nomorefattypatty said:

I haven't heard a bunch of babies complain about a surgery since I had to have my stomach completely opened up to remove my uterus which is a major surgery. I hardly had any pain I had my leak test done by my Dr. during surgery. You have gotten the wls that we all wanted so badly and everyone's complaining like they didn't know what to expect. I know a bunch of people will think this is negative but if you read these statements you will see what I mean. Get up and exercise and start working it guys or you just wasted your time and your drs time. Sorry but I had to say it no one else was gonna. Quit being a bunch of whiney babies and become the warriors you are meant to be.

Sent from my N9519 using BariatricPal mobile app

I'm willing to accept the reality that people come with a wide range of pain tolerance, for one thing; another is that people apparently may experience a range of minor complications, from gas to inability to swallow easily to Constipation. Or not, which is great for those who don't have those issues.

For a lot of people, this is the first major surgery they've had. I've had six surgeries, including an open hysterectomy, and I know that some are definitely worse than others (e.g., I also had my gall bladder out, and that was quite easy).

Yes, this can be considered something each of us agreed to, but the original question opens the portal for anything someone wasn't expecting. Virtually no one in this thread (or on this site, for that matter) has said they would have chosen NOT to have the surgery.

As far as I'm concerned, anything anyone says that can help me be prepared for what *might* happen is all good information. But the only people I get a little testy with are the ones who say things like "I'm hardly losing weight at all, and I've been following the plan pretty closely, except for those three doughnuts I had . . ."

@nomorefattypatty Love how you generalized and marginalized an entire people group with some pretty un-empathetic ignorance towards peoples individual journey's. Oh and by "love", I mean, you are ridiculous and need to get your head out of your backside.

I am one who has a high pain threshold and had zero issues with my surgery. I'm almost 4 weeks post op and doing great. But so many have other health issues that I am blessed not to have. But I cannot make such asinine assumptions about peoples lives and struggles. Not sure where you get off with a post like yours above...

Edited by Mersh

I'm willing to accept the reality that people come with a wide range of pain tolerance, for one thing; another is that people apparently may experience a range of minor complications, from gas to inability to swallow easily to Constipation. Or not, which is great for those who don't have those issues.
For a lot of people, this is the first major surgery they've had. I've had six surgeries, including an open hysterectomy, and I know that some are definitely worse than others (e.g., I also had my gall bladder out, and that was quite easy).
Yes, this can be considered something each of us agreed to, but the original question opens the portal for anything someone wasn't expecting. Virtually no one in this thread (or on this site, for that matter) has said they would have chosen NOT to have the surgery.

As far as I'm concerned, anything anyone says that can help me be prepared for what *might* happen is all good information. But the only people I get a little testy with are the ones who say things like "I'm hardly losing weight at all, and I've been following the plan pretty closely, except for those three doughnuts I had . . ."

Thank you for your response. As the original poster, I can confirm that what you said above is true.

I read everything I could get my hands on, including these forums, and prepared as best I could, knowing that all the reading and preparing in the world would only take me so far. My questions were intended to elicit accounts of people's real experiences that aren't written about in the books and forums.

The questions were intentionally open ended to allow for the broadest range of responses, knowing that everyone's perceptions and experiences are different and can be very subjective.

I was sleeved on the 17th and already, I can tell how my answer to these questions would have changed over the last 11 days as I'm sure it will continue to change over time. That's why I haven't answered my own question yet. I expect I will continue to have "surprises" along the way that I never anticipated, but hearing about other people's has helped me be more relaxed about knowing what could happen and how others have dealt with the unexpected.

I intended no judgment in terms of good or bad surprises. For example, I was very surprised that I never had any gas pains at all, which I consider to be a good thing!

A few other curiosities for me:

The nurses don't necessarily know what you need or what's on your plan, especially if you're at a smaller facility where they may not interact with a lot of bariatric patients. As I was really waking up the day of surgery, I was offered Water or ginger ale. Despite my grogginess, I was able to tell her we're not supposed to have carbonation.
They also kept giving me ice water in a cup with a straw not aware that we can't use straws. (They also kept replacing my tepid water with more ice until I realized it was the iciness that was nauseating me. The room temperature water actually went down much better.)

A surprise from my first week occurred when I was sipping some broth I had heated up. I had put it in a travel mug and it was staying way too hot despite my efforts to cool it off. After an hour or so, I assumed it had cooled down enough and tried to take a sip. It was still quite warm and I swallowed more then I had planned. I immediately felt warmth in my throats and then near my belly button! It was as if the liquid hadn't even touched anything on the way down. It was a very bizarre sensation.

Oh, and one more from the realm of my mind: despite having 5 incisions on my abdomen, it didn't really feel like they had actually DONE anything inside. It was almost as if the incisions were placebo decoys to make me think they'd done surgery, but just as a ruse to get me to eat like I should. I know that may sound odd, but I kept looking at the area where my stomach should be and it looked like it always has (the incisions aren't really made directly over the stomach). Don't worry, though, I've now tried putting stuff in there so I am very aware that they really did something inside there. You just can't tell by looking or how it feels just on its own.

Sorry...just one more:
Did you know they do the surgery with you hanging upside down (or at least inverted)? The anesthesiologist explained that to me when I asked whether I'd have a breathing tube. Because you're in that position and to get everything in your abdomen out of the way, they have to relax ALL of your muscles, including your lungs, which is why you need to have them breathe for you, hence the breathing tube.

Ok, I'm done for now.
Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread. It's been fascinating to me to see the breadth of people's experiences and what stood out for each of you.

Well as an older woman who has a year post surgery I want it noted that my doctor was kind enough to go the extra mile. Repaired my hernia and fixed adhesions. So initially more pain but didn't have long term damage. It has made a world of difference in the appearance of my tummy. Flat and no bulging when I sit up. I'm back to work nursing full time again! Lost 65lbs!![emoji1319]

I have to ask . . . what other surgeries have you had? Was there any complication that caused the pain? I'm expecting it to be minimal, but of course there can always be surprises . . .

No other surgery except for the sleeve. I didn't have any complications, it just hurt like h3ll! My nurse told me what I was feeling on the side of my stomach (pain) was the fact that they cut through my stomach muscle. Cutting through my muscle hurt more than cutting 80 percent of my stomach off. I could barely sit or stand for long periods of a time. I had to lay with my pillows elevating my upper body a little.

Height: 5'0"
Weight for WLS consultation: 216 lbs.
Surgery date: 2/13/17
Goal: -71 lbs for healthy BMI (about 145 lbs).
Current weight: 145 lbs, now ready to lose 15 more past goal.
My profile picture is not me. It's my "FITspiration" body.

Thank you for your response. As the original poster, I can confirm that what you said above is true.

I read everything I could get my hands on, including these forums, and prepared as best I could, knowing that all the reading and preparing in the world would only take me so far. My questions were intended to elicit accounts of people's real experiences that aren't written about in the books and forums.

The questions were intentionally open ended to allow for the broadest range of responses, knowing that everyone's perceptions and experiences are different and can be very subjective.

I was sleeved on the 17th and already, I can tell how my answer to these questions would have changed over the last 11 days as I'm sure it will continue to change over time. That's why I haven't answered my own question yet. I expect I will continue to have "surprises" along the way that I never anticipated, but hearing about other people's has helped me be more relaxed about knowing what could happen and how others have dealt with the unexpected.

I intended no judgment in terms of good or bad surprises. For example, I was very surprised that I never had any gas pains at all, which I consider to be a good thing!

The nurses don't necessarily know what you need or what's on your plan, especially if you're at a smaller facility where they may not interact with a lot of bariatric patients. As I was really waking up the day of surgery, I was offered Water or ginger ale. Despite my grogginess, I was able to tell her we're not supposed to have carbonation.
They also kept giving me ice water in a cup with a straw not aware that we can't use straws. (They also kept replacing my tepid water with more ice until I realized it was the iciness that was nauseating me. The room temperature water actually went down much better.)

A surprise from my first week occurred when I was sipping some broth I had heated up. I had put it in a travel mug and it was staying way too hot despite my efforts to cool it off. After an hour or so, I assumed it had cooled down enough and tried to take a sip. It was still quite warm and I swallowed more then I had planned. I immediately felt warmth in my throats and then near my belly button! It was as if the liquid hadn't even touched anything on the way down. It was a very bizarre sensation.

Oh, and one more from the realm of my mind: despite having 5 incisions on my abdomen, it didn't really feel like they had actually DONE anything inside. It was almost as if the incisions were placebo decoys to make me think they'd done surgery, but just as a ruse to get me to eat like I should. I know that may sound odd, but I kept looking at the area where my stomach should be and it looked like it always has (the incisions aren't really made directly over the stomach). Don't worry, though, I've now tried putting stuff in there so I am very aware that they really did something inside there. You just can't tell by looking or how it feels just on its own.

Sorry...just one more:
Did you know they do the surgery with you hanging upside down (or at least inverted)? The anesthesiologist explained that to me when I asked whether I'd have a breathing tube. Because you're in that position and to get everything in your abdomen out of the way, they have to relax ALL of your muscles, including your lungs, which is why you need to have them breathe for you, hence the breathing tube.

Ok, I'm done for now.
Thank you to everyone who responded to this thread. It's been fascinating to me to see the breadth of people's experiences and what stood out for each of you.

I didn't know the inverted part and I'm kind of glad I didn't know! That's interesting.
I too had nurses that weren't aware of what I should have. One offered me a whole pill and I took it. It didn't bother me at all but after I swallowed it I asked if it was supposed to be whole and she was freaking out.
I didn't have any gas and also felt like they hadn't done anything inside me. I wasn't particularly surprised about that because I had read of so many other people having that experience.
I've enjoyed this thread. We are all individuals with different surgeons, pain thresholds, and life experiences.

Sorry...just one more:

Ok, I'm done for now.

I didn't know the inverted part and I'm kind of glad I didn't know! That's interesting.
I too had nurses that weren't aware of what I should have. One offered me a whole pill and I took it. It didn't bother me at all but after I swallowed it I asked if it was supposed to be whole and she was freaking out.
I didn't have any gas and also felt like they hadn't done anything inside me. I wasn't particularly surprised about that because I had read of so many other people having that experience.
I've enjoyed this thread. We are all individuals with different surgeons, pain thresholds, and life experiences.

I should have clarified that inversion is for laparoscopic surgery (and he implied any abdominal laparoscopic surgery is done that way)

I too had issues with pills.
One that they cut that they shouldn't have (next nurse caught it when I asked to have it cut again).

The worst one, though, was one that usually requires a lot of Water to keep it from burning on the way down. I still wasn't doing great with water (hadn't yet discovered that room temperature was way better than iced) so I ended up with the double whammy of the pills feeling stuck and the water nauseating me. It took about 1/2 hour with a kidney pan held to my chin for everything to finally resolve. I skipped that pill until I got home where I had a liquid version that I'd purposely had prescribed because of the surgery. It's a standard formulation for a common medication so I'm not sure why they don't use it in the hospital.

The liquid version has its own issues because you have to dissolve it in 1/4 C of water, posing a different problem for a recently sleeved person. I felt like it took forever to get it all in.

Wasn't aware of the inversion, that's interesting.