Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Happy Fourth from BariatricPal! - July 2017

Happy Fourth from BariatricPal!

Bariatric Pal - Your friend in Bariatrics
Store Forums Magazine Activity
Happy Independence Day
Hey BariatricPal Members!

Happy Fourth from BariatricPal! Who doesn’t love a chance to spend time with friends and neighbors while celebrating the freedoms we appreciate so much? Days like this let you reflect on the best things in life, including loved ones and your health. Speaking of your health…what about a BariatricPal newsletter to move you along on your weight loss surgery journey and path towards better health? Here’s what we have.
• Take Independence to a New Level
• July 4 Bariatric Recipes: American as Apple Pie
• The Little Things: food for Thought on a Holiday
Enjoy reading the newsletter, and take advantage of it for ideas and inspiration. Then logon to the BariatricPal Forums for more. Happy Independence Day, and thanks for all your support!

Sincerely,
Alex Brecher
Founder, BariatricPal

Take Independence to a New Level

You may be living in a free country, but are you living as a free person in every sense of the word? Think deeply, because it may be time to take independence to a whole new level.
Declare Your Independence
The weight loss surgery journey is as much a psychological and emotional journey as it is a physical one. Many WLS candidates have emotional bonds that have developed over years. You might feel trapped inside your body, feel the need to win others’ approval, blame others for your situation, or feel guilty about the thought of putting yourself and your health first. Declare your independence from these destructive thoughts. You can only lose weight and become mentally healthy when you recognize that you are ready to take the WLS journey, regardless of anyone around you.
Lead the Charge
Now that you have declared your independence, show that you are serious and capable. Follow through with your resolutions by taking the actions you need for success.
• Grocery shopping and preparing meals.
• Making the necessary appointments, whether with your surgeon, regular doctor, or nutritionist.
• Taking your bariatric Vitamins and monitoring your blood levels.
Independence, Not Isolation
Being an independent person does not mean you should be isolated. Nobody can or should try to have WLS success on their own, and neither should you. Surround yourself with great support, such as:
• A surgeon and bariatric team with a nutritionist.
• WLS buddies – and check BariatricPal for WLS buddies who live near you, have your surgery date, or share your goals or personal interests.
• A weight loss friend to keep you on track on a daily basis.
• Family members who ask how you are doing and help you make the right food choices.
• Exercise buddies.
You may be pleasantly surprised to discover how willing people are to give you a hand, and how great you feel when someone asks you for help in return.

July 4 Bariatric Tricks and Treats: American as Apple Pie

The ideal Independence Day for anyone involves good company, good times, and good food. The ideal Independence Day for a WLS patient includes good nutrition. Guess what: there is no conflict here!
Backyard Barbecue
In the backyard or at the park, you can take charge to make sure your July 4 cookout fits right into your meal plan. Help yourself to a lean turkey or chicken burger patty or a veggie burger served on a lettuce leaf. You can keep it classic with mustard, fat-free mayo, pickles, ketchup, and a slice of non-fat cheese. Or liven it up by adding some goat or blue cheese before grilling it. Save yourself some carbs and fat by choosing Protein Chips for a side instead of regular potato chips. Protein Chips
Delightful Desserts
Some desserts are just…American. You can skip the extra sugar and calories while getting the flavors you crave with choices such as a Chocolate Chip Protein Cookie (150 calories, 15 grams protein) or a Soft-Baked Brownie (120 calories, 15 grams protein). If the only thing that will do it for you is apple pie, try a Baked Apple made with Protein Pudding. You can give it a little whole-grain crunch with oats for a topping. Delightful Desserts
Metabolism Boosters
Okay, we admit it: that is just a term we are using for exercise. You can get moving before, during, or after your July 4th celebration to burn calories and remind yourself how good it feels to do good things for yourself. If you do not have a regular workout scheduled, consider one or more of the following.
• Walking in or alongside your neighborhood July 4th parade.
• A game of frisbee, volleyball, or soccer at your July 4th picnic…or a three-legged race, tug-of-war, or scavenger hunt: extra points for silliness!
• A July 4th 5k run or walk.

The Little Things: Food for Thought on a Holiday

If you are like a lot of people, you are very busy. You go through each day getting done the essentials, but maybe not much else. As a WLS patient, you probably come close to hitting your protein goals, and you make sure to stick with your allowed foods, but is there anything else you could be doing to keep yourself healthy and losing weight? If you can set aside a few minutes on July 4th, you might want to think about a few small things you can do that can have major payoffs.
• Gather some recipes. Rather than gourmet, think “functional:” high-protein, easy make, and easy to divide into portions. Examples include chili, egg and cheese muffin cups, and bariatric meatloaf in slices or muffin tins. You can always make a batch of your go-to favorites on the weekend and have delicious and nutritious food all week.
• Re-read your pre-op and post-op bariatric Vitamin instructions. Are you taking your Multivitamin and all of your other recommended supplements? They keep your metabolism going and do so much more.
• Order a kitchen scale if you do not already have one. You may be amazed at how easy they are to use and how much they can help you lose more weight by keeping portions to the size they should be.
• Take inventory of protein supplements such as bars and shakes, and order more if you need them. There is no excuse for missing meals and snacks!
This July 4th can be a great one for your health and weight loss, both on the holiday and for months to come. Take some time to make it happen, and you will be glad you did. And, be sure to have fun and tell us about it on the BariatricPal Forums!

Insure Nutrition
Stop paying for nutritional supplements! Check your insurance eligibility now!

If you no longer wish to receive this newsletter, please click *|unsubscribe|* or to unsubscribe from ALL BariatricPal E-Mail Click Here.