Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hair Loss After Bariatric Surgery

I am a few months away from my surgery and have been doing a lot of research on what to expect both pre and post-op. I see that many have experienced Hair loss about 3 - 4 months post-op. From what I've read, this happens to about 1/2 of bariatric patients. Have this happened to any of you? What was your experience? Did you actually have bald spots or was it hair thinning.

Any information you can provide is appreciated.

Yes I've had major Hair loss - thinning. Has been quite an issue for me. I'm 9 months out and still struggling!

3 minutes ago, Jess_eR said:

Yes I've had major hair loss - thinning. Has been quite an issue for me. I'm 9 months out and still struggling!

Thanks for your reply.

Did your doctor provide you with any information on this? How are you handling it?

I'm I'm on a hair tonic and caffeine Shampoo. It's slightly better but still comes out when I brush, wash or dry. The hair itself is also dull and has gone waivy.

I'm I'm on a hair tonic and caffeine Shampoo. It's slightly better but still comes out when I brush, wash or dry. The hair itself is also dull and has gone waivy.

Just now, Jess_eR said:

Thanks for the info. I will be sure to loop my hairdresser in. The better prepared I am, the better!

Hello

I experience a lot of Hair loss and had to cut my hair short but after a while, it started growing back. I also experience hair thinning but I found a great Biotin Shampoo and conditioner at a Vitamin store and been using it as well as fast melt biotin tablet and my hair has grown a lot. Your hair will grow back as long as you keep up with all your Vitamins and supplements recommended by your doctor. Best of luck 😀

I had slight Hair loss and I normally have fine hair. I drank Protein Shakes pre and post surgery and took my Vitamins along with a chewable for hair skin and nails. From what I've heard everyone loses some hair but if you keep with a good quality Protein Shake it should be minimal. No one could tell I lost any hair but I noticed a slight thinning at the temples around 6 months.

I had slight Hair loss and I normally have fine hair. I drank Protein Shakes pre and post surgery and took my Vitamins along with a chewable for hair skin and nails. From what I've heard everyone loses some hair but if you keep with a good quality Protein Shake it should be minimal. No one could tell I lost any hair but I noticed a slight thinning at the temples around 6 months.

Just further to this after 2 years Protein shakes and vitamins my hair is in the best shape ever!!

20 hours ago, blondie66 said:

I had slight hair loss and I normally have fine hair. I drank Protein Shakes pre and post surgery and took my Vitamins along with a chewable for hair skin and nails. From what I've heard everyone loses some hair but if you keep with a good quality Protein shake it should be minimal. No one could tell I lost any hair but I noticed a slight thinning at the temples around 6 months.

Thanks for this information, blondie66! When I spoke with my NUT a few weeks ago really stressed how important it is to make sure I get the amount of Protein I am supposed to have post-op. I've researched this a bit and read that about 1/3 of all patients. I will keep this in mind.

23 hours ago, asantiago said:

Hello

I experience a lot of hair loss and had to cut my hair short but after a while, it started growing back. I also experience hair thinning but I found a great Biotin Shampoo and conditioner at a Vitamin store and been using it as well as fast melt Biotin tablet and my hair has grown a lot. Your hair will grow back as long as you keep up with all your Vitamins and supplements recommended by your doctor. Best of luck 😀

I am planning to purchase a few hair care/style magazines so I can pick out a new short hairstyle should I need to. I don't want Hair loss to be a negative or a detriment to me having the surgery. Therefore, I will include this as part of my lifestyle change - along with a new wardrobe!!! HAPPY THOUGHTS!!!

The medical term for losing your hair is called Telogen Effluvium. The low calorie diet for months and months after surgery causes the Hair loss.

TE happens when there is a change in the number of hair follicles growing hair. If the number of hair follicles producing hair drops significantly for any reason during the resting, or telogen phase, there will be a significant increase in dormant, telogen stage hair follicles. The result is shedding, or TE hair loss.

Sadly, there is no Vitamin or hair care product that stops this. The only thing that does work is returning to a higher calorie diet for an extended amount of time. I lost 1/3 of my hair during my weight loss. When I reached goal weight and started to increase my calories, the shedding stopped. It has taken a full year for my hair to grow back. I finally have a full head of hair now.

My best advice is to expect the hair loss and know that your hair will grow back again. Save your money for the new smaller clothes that you will be buying instead of wasting it on hair care products.